how playable is this game in japanese?

#1ShaunnyCPosted 10/19/2012 11:24:02 PM
The JP version is dramatically cheaper so I was thinking about picking up that version. The problem is: I don't know any japanese. I've been trying to pick it up a little here and there, but without practical application my memory for the language is worthless. Would this game be suitable for cutting my teeth on, or should I aim for something more modest?
#2kylemcauliffe15Posted 10/20/2012 8:15:00 AM
You'll miss-out on understanding the "twist" at the end as it happens. You have to be able to read the text to see it.
---
PSN: Gasshu-kun
The thermometer of success is merely the jealousy of the malcontents. - Salvador Dali
#3MartinIIIaPosted 10/21/2012 6:45:04 AM
Actually, you'll miss out on all the story; like most video game stories, Panzer Dragoon Saga is very dialogue-driven. I also suspect you'll have a very hard time figuring out where you're supposed to go and who you're supposed to talk to.

Most importantly, however, unless you have a Japanese Saturn or a mod switch, you won't be able to get the game to run at all.
#4ShaunnyC(Topic Creator)Posted 10/21/2012 9:25:03 PM
I ordered the action replay 4-in-1, will that work?

I guess alternatively I could snag the US version from e-bay and sell it back when I'm finished.

But jeez, what a hassle.
#5bultje112Posted 10/22/2012 5:30:57 AM
you miss out on the story, which this game is all about. I strongly advice against it if you want the full experience and if you play it in japanese and one day in english it will never have that first impression with you
---
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1318223517
#6MartinIIIaPosted 10/23/2012 2:01:32 PM
ShaunnyC posted...
I ordered the action replay 4-in-1, will that work?

It will work for Disc 1, but from what I'm told Panzer Dragoon Saga is one of a handful of Saturn games where the 4-in-1 is unable to let you move from disc to disc. It has something to do with the way in which you save between discs.

The 4-in-1 is a great device in general, though, so don't feel that you've wasted your money.
#7ShaunnyC(Topic Creator)Posted 10/23/2012 4:41:47 PM
That's alright. I bought it for Deep Fear anyway. Thanks for the heads up.
#8kimaochiPosted 10/24/2012 11:51:42 AM
The game was surprisingly quite playable in Japanese. I comfortably beat the game in less than 20 hours without using a walkthrough. I think I briefly consulted one for just one quick part. I couldn't get the game to work with the 4-in-1 cart, so I used the ST-Key and it worked fine.

But it really depends what your approach to the game is. I'm not very big on story when it comes to games so I watched all the cutscenes in English before playing it. As a programmer what drew me to this game was its battle system, graphical modeling, and sound design (nerdy, I know), which were all excellent. If you're in it for the story just get the English version.
#9ShaunnyC(Topic Creator)Posted 10/24/2012 9:05:47 PM
I'm usually not blown away by the story-lines of role-playing games. It just looks fun. I was more concerned about being able to figure out what I'm doing. I just got my 4-in-1 in the mail today though, so I don't see the point in shelling out for the st-key.

What kind of programming do you do?
#10kimaochiPosted 11/1/2012 10:41:15 PM
I've mainly done menus and interfaces for mobile applications but currently in the process of programming my first shooting game. I'm also a digital artist and musician. This game impressed me in how unique its overall presentation was. And it's kind of a shame that no game developer really explored what else was possible with the battle system because for me it was such a joy to play.