Could somebody explain the Mod Permit/Tool situation to me?

#1HeavensCloud889Posted 12/2/2008 3:06:18 PM
I'm not really sure what exactly using a mod permit does to a weapon, and what tools are for. Can someone enlighten me?
---
*Goes off to search for missing 9*
#2CaldorPosted 12/2/2008 4:52:51 PM
Okay what a Mod Permit does is allow you to open (add) another slot to your weapon or armor. Each weapon/armor has x amount of slots available (consult a FAQ for more detailed information). Some of them have lots of slots open already, others you need to use the Mod Permits to open. Each open slot will allow for an extra affect to be added to it from tools such as Rate of Fire: 2, Burst, Counter (weapons), or Attack UP, Max HP UP (armor).

With Tools and Super Tools, you can move one of two things from a weapon or armor to another. Say you want the Burst affect from a crappy shotgun onto to your beefed up handgun. With a tool you can move that affect from one weapon to the other, but the weapon you took the affect from will be lost. With a super tool you can move things around without destroying the equipment.

Hope this helps ya out some.
---
Currently playing: GTA: San Andreas
#3HeavensCloud889(Topic Creator)Posted 12/2/2008 5:54:18 PM
It makes sense, but the only thing I don't know is how I can tell which effects are on which weapons. I see the boxes that say "x3" or have half of the box shaded, but I don't really know what they mean.
---
*Goes off to search for missing 9*
#4CaldorPosted 12/3/2008 2:25:52 AM
It makes sense, but the only thing I don't know is how I can tell which effects are on which weapons. I see the boxes that say "x3" or have half of the box shaded, but I don't really know what they mean.

Okay if you go to change weapon (or armor) from the menu you can move the cursor down into the affect boxes on your item. It will then give you a brief explanation as to what each affect is. The half shaded box is the end of your slots and may move if other upgrades to your weapon are possible.
---
Currently playing: GTA: San Andreas
#5jedi_watchmanPosted 12/11/2008 10:36:22 AM
Unfortunately you also have to pick between moving stats and moving effects when you use a regular tool. So be careful how you set up your gun and don't use the super tool(s) until you have a plan on what you're going to do for a final weapon.

Collecting junk for an ultimate weapon takes forever and is not worth it. You're better off using a regular gun that has a lot of slots available.
#6LordDragonZPosted 12/23/2008 8:24:31 AM
"Collecting junk for an ultimate weapon takes forever and is not worth it. You're better off using a regular gun that has a lot of slots available."

First off, don't listen to that. You need 300 junk for an ultimate weapon, and can be achieved before you finish a first playthrough if you want to put about an extra 3 hours in. Best junk spot is near the end of Central park zoo. *You get 5 ravens each battle, each one dropping a junk.*

Second, keep in mind that each of those multiplier additions for your weapon lessens the damage of each shot. When at all possible, get a weapon that only has a x2, or use a super tool to remove the multiplier completely for maximum damage per shot.
---
"I don't see how a clothed female is more attractive than a naked one." -Wrex
#7MechafanboyPosted 12/23/2008 8:35:25 AM
Imo, just finish the game once and go farm junk in the Chrysler building... MUCH faster.

It's not like you even need one though... I've been using my machine gun from storyline mode forever, it really doesn't matter much once you ohko everything AND have burst on the same gun >_>
---
Go to your local game store to get TWEWY wearing a sign that says "a dumbass spoiled the game for me and guess what the dumbass is me!"-wolfknight0000