Playing this game online was like living in the wild west....

#1HesitantEvilPosted 5/10/2013 12:54:00 AM
With all of the hackers running around, you never knew who was really on your side. This game got pretty scary in it's latter days. Even if you were a legit player, you pretty much needed a Game Shark just to protect yourself. Just like a cowboy that couldn't leave his ranch without a gun for the sake of all of the outlaws running around. Fortunately I never fell victim to any violent hate crimes, but I saw so many honorable people fall.... It brings a tear to my eye even today.
---
The Resident Hesitant President of Evil
"Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what your country can do to you."
#2game player sPosted 5/10/2013 8:34:49 PM
And then the US Servers closed in 2003 and it went from being like you described to an at times desolate place where you could have nearly every server to yourself. Not that having every server to yourself is quite as amazing as it sounds even if it did give rise to oft egotistical power trippy feelings about how Sega kept all those ships up just for your sake... Okay, so it wasn't all that bad. ;)

The player's that remained and in general did as I did and imported the EU version of DC PSO really quite enjoyed ourselves up til the very end in 2007.
---
Welcome To The Next Level---SEGA
http://www.segaforums.com/hosted/psoarchive/
#3HesitantEvil(Topic Creator)Posted 5/11/2013 12:48:02 AM
I moved on and eventually got a PC with World of Warcraft.... But it never was the same :(
---
The Resident Hesitant President of Evil
"Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what your country can do to you."
#4KirixPosted 5/13/2013 10:42:36 PM
I didn't know you could use GS to protect yourself, I guess that would of been useful back in the day. I had so many characters NOL'd and UKON'd that I just quit playing with random people and only had one or two friends I could trust.

There was an old saying where if you took your VMU out right when you got NOL'd and shut off the Dreamcast immediately then it would save your ass but that never worked.
#5RONIN_Y0JIMBOPosted 5/27/2013 8:58:59 AM
Kirix posted...
I didn't know you could use GS to protect yourself, I guess that would of been useful back in the day. I had so many characters NOL'd and UKON'd that I just quit playing with random people and only had one or two friends I could trust.

There was an old saying where if you took your VMU out right when you got NOL'd and shut off the Dreamcast immediately then it would save your ass but that never worked.

I think it was as long as you hadn't done an area transition and pulled the VMU that it worked. I was Nol'd several times and it never stuck (luckily).
---
Gamertag- RONIN Y0JIMBO, Pawn: Kyrestia- Sorcerer
Dragon's Dogma alts & pawns: JosieBleak- Fighter, PhantasyStarPSO- Bezel Ranger
#6don_bananaPosted 6/6/2013 2:05:30 PM
grrr i got got NOL'd 3 times, then i bought some random cheat disc for the dreamcast and... well nothing ever happened to me again. hehehe.
---
PSN: donbanana
XBOX 360 : Don Banana
#7DemfcanePosted 6/11/2013 9:13:16 PM
was the best gaming times of my life!