Why do my Pokeballs keep missing??!

#1Mr_XenomorphPosted 7/19/2009 3:30:19 PM
I'm trying to catch Articuno right, and I've thrown every single Great ball and Ultra ball that I have (30+) and every single one of them has missed. What the ****. Is Ash a moron or something? has he suddenly gone blind? Why has he ceased the ability to aim? I paralyzed Articuno and lowered it's health to like, one hit point, and even when it says "Articuno is fully paralyzed!", every attempt at catching him misses. I keep restarting but the results are the same every time. This is really pissing me off. Why aren't the pokeballs hitting him? Also, I've noticed this in the Safari Zone. My Safari balls completely miss any Pokemon that's more powerful than a Nidorina. I don't remember this happening when I played many years ago. Why now??

---
Kill Everybody
#2Element-17Posted 7/19/2009 3:51:15 PM
The ball missing is the same as it wobbling without catching the Pokémon, so don't fret.
---
Why bother making a signature?
#3GunbladeladPosted 7/19/2009 3:52:07 PM
It's just rotten luck.

Try putting on a sleep status (Hypnosis, Sing & Sleep Powder,but I wouldn't recommend the last against Articuno) instead if possible, as it increases the chance of the pokeball working.
---
Official FF7SB Topic Killer
#4gbchaosmasterPosted 7/19/2009 3:55:24 PM
and even when it says "Articuno is fully paralyzed!", every attempt at catching him misses.

That message doesn't help anything.
---
gbchaosmaster
#5DarthnixPosted 7/21/2009 1:15:26 PM
same thing when i was trying to catch zapdos. btu then i restarted the game and kept my masterball.
---
The predator understands because he understands nothing.
Darthnix: onine RPG master
#6Mr_Xenomorph(Topic Creator)Posted 7/22/2009 6:26:04 PM
I just tried to use sleep powder with Vileplume, and it is too damn slow to ever put Articuno to sleep. Peck and Icebeam are super effective and kill it one shot before Vileplume gets a chance. I don't have any other pokemon that can use sleep moves that is high leveled enough to strike before Articuno does. I tried paralyzing it again. The balls keep missing EVERY ****ING TIME. No matter how many times I restart, the balls never hit it, ever. Not even once. Do I seriously have to level up a pokemon that I never use to level 60+ to have any chance of putting Articuno to sleep before it kills it? This is a load of bull****.

---
Kill Everybody
#7MethidManTMAPosted 7/23/2009 5:45:40 AM
Gastly/Haunter/Gengar's Hypnosis works the best I've found.

-- Sam the Methid Man
#8gbchaosmasterPosted 7/23/2009 7:22:03 AM
The balls keep missing EVERY ****ING TIME. No matter how many times I restart, the balls never hit it, ever. Not even once.

Have you read the second post in this topic?

Do I seriously have to level up a pokemon that I never use to level 60+ to have any chance of putting Articuno to sleep before it kills it?

No, you have to keep trying instead of keeping your panties in a bunch.
---
gbchaosmaster
#9GunbladeladPosted 7/23/2009 2:25:11 PM
First of all, punctuation is your friend. It makes posts easier to read, and is more likely to give you a rational answer.

A solid block of text is never nice to read.

I just tried to use sleep powder with Vileplume...
I did warn you against using Grass types.

I don't have any other pokemon that can use sleep moves that is high leveled enough...
Sleep moves are more likely to allow the Pokemon to be caught, going with the ingame catch formula. The only other Stat change with an equal chance is Freeze - something Articuno's immune to.

If you're lacking other Pokemon with relevant moves, then take a break to level the others up. Can I recommend Gengar or Hypno? Hypnosis isn't 100% accurate, but Dream Eater will allow you to regain some HP without using items.

I tried paralyzing it again. The balls keep missing
Again, it's simply bad luck. Paralysing is a step down in the catch formula from Sleep & Freeze. Just keep trying. Perhaps you could buy more Unltra balls.

Do I seriously have to level up a pokemon that I never use to level 60+ to have any chance of putting Articuno to sleep before it kills it?
Given your poor choice of a sleeper, then I'd say yes, it's recommended - not essential. Just learn to be more patient, and you'll get the Articuno eventually. A few extra levels never hurt.

In the end, there's 2 extremes in the catch formula. Easy & hard. Easy is you chucking a normal Pokeball on your first turn in the battle & the Articuno staying in it. Hard is the articuno fast asleep at 1HP, and still refusing to stay in. It looks like you're currently stuck at the harder end of the spectrum.

My advice here, is to forget Articuno for now, and go back for it at a later time, when you're better prepared.
---
Official FF7SB Topic Killer
#10Mr_Xenomorph(Topic Creator)Posted 7/23/2009 2:48:28 PM

Have you read the second post in this topic?

Yes I did, and it doesn't help diddly squat.

No, you have to keep trying instead of keeping your panties in a bunch.

So you're saying that eventually, after several dozen restarts, the balls will start hitting? What is the probability of that? I've already restarted it at least 15 times in a row now, with no deviation at all from the first try.

If you're lacking other Pokemon with relevant moves, then take a break to level the others up. Can I recommend Gengar or Hypno? Hypnosis isn't 100% accurate, but Dream Eater will allow you to regain some HP without using items.

Damn, I have a Haunter on my team too, but I deleted Hypnosis a while back because I figured I didn't need it... Now I regret that. I figured Pikachu's thunder wave was good enough to catch any pokemon. Damn it all. I wanted to catch every pokemon I came across the first time through because I didn't want to come back to any areas. Ah well. I guess I'll take your advice and leave Articuno for now.

---
Kill Everybody