So Mewtwo isn't actually the hardest Pokemon to catch in this game, right?

#1devinator5Posted 7/25/2009 10:22:29 AM
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_Pok%C3%A9mon_by_catch_rate

According to that list, there are four Pokemon in this game with a catch rate of 3, the lowest we've ever seen. Those four would be Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres, and Mewtwo. That means the four of them should be tied for the same ridiculous difficulty in catching, right? I remember when I was a kid, a huge misconception I had was that Mewtwo was by far the hardest Pokemon to catch in the whole game, and if the Master Ball had to be used on any Pokemon, if at all, it would have to be that one. Modern websites destroying my childhood, one step at a time...
---
"I take my video games very seriously. I don't date any girl that hasn't played at least one Mega Man or Fire Emblem game." - Marth_Koopa
#2Element-17Posted 7/25/2009 11:20:11 AM
Well, based on catch rate alone, then he is equal to the legendary trio. However, Mewtwo could be considered harder based on his ability to heal himself and destroy you.

There is also a significant difference between their HPs which makes more sense if you look at the catch rate formula.
---
Why bother making a signature?
#3devinator5(Topic Creator)Posted 7/25/2009 11:25:01 AM

However, Mewtwo could be considered harder based on his ability to heal himself and destroy you.

That is so true! I can't believe I forgot about that. That's why I had so much trouble catching Ho-Oh and Snorlax in Pokemon Gold. The three legendary gerbils are arguably even harder to catch than those two.
---
"I take my video games very seriously. I don't date any girl that hasn't played at least one Mega Man or Fire Emblem game." - Marth_Koopa
#4creamyicecreamPosted 7/31/2009 9:13:58 AM
There is also a significant difference between their HPs which makes more sense if you look at the catch rate formula.

I was thinking the Lv1 Regigigas in Platinum is the hardest to capture, percentage wise, due to how the formula works.
---
It is, as some admiral once said, a trap.
http://www.freewebs.com/ladystarscream/ / Platinum: 3437 8977 6343
#5GunbladeladPosted 7/31/2009 11:07:23 AM
Wrong generation...
---
Official FF7SB Topic Killer
#6creamyicecreamPosted 7/31/2009 6:52:33 PM
...I know that.
---
It is, as some admiral once said, a trap.
http://www.freewebs.com/ladystarscream/ / Platinum: 3437 8977 6343
#7GunbladeladPosted 8/1/2009 3:46:17 AM
Then why mention Regigigas in the board for a game that doesn't have it?

Remember, we're talking about the R/B/Y catch formula here - not the one from the later games, where a bunch of other things are taken into consideration. (Pokemon weight, time taken in the battle, time of day, gender, evolution type etc - the next gen will probably have pokeballs with different catch rates based on the Pokemon's personality, IVs, colour of eyes, the music you're listening to in the background and the pictures you have stored in the DSi...)
---
#8gbchaosmasterPosted 8/1/2009 6:11:10 AM
Why not? It's interesting trivia nevertheless.
---
gbchaosmaster
#9devinator5(Topic Creator)Posted 8/1/2009 10:10:08 AM

the pictures you have stored in the DSi

I somehow doubt the fifth generation Pokemon games would be playable on the DSi.
---
#10GunbladeladPosted 8/1/2009 12:24:02 PM
That may be, but I'm just putting across the point that they're making something that should be relatively straightforward into something more complex than the combined US & UK Tax code systems.

Generation 5 - Pretty much 500 things to catch. What'll generation 10 be - 65,000 different Pokemon? Story - Not just save the universe, but have to save about 50 different others by the 4th gym...

I preferred this generation. No saving the world needed - you're out for nothing more than fame & fortune, and god help anyone who gets in your way. It's a decent change for an RPG series.

Later games are all about "Save the (country/world/universe)" - stepping into the generic swamp of other RPGs with some random kid from the smallest village on the planet being roped into a world-saving quest.
---