According to the story, are the Cubone in Pokemon Tower dead or alive?

#1devinator5Posted 11/10/2009 4:42:31 PM
DISCLAIMER: Let's first ignore the fact that I'm considering the story of a Pokemon game, and the fact that you could theoretically catch an infinite number of Cubone in Lavender Town's Pokemon Tower.

Okay, so according to the story, all those Cubone there should be the children of the mother Marowak that was killed by Team Rocket, right? But did the Cubone themselves ever die? How can they all wear the skull of their dead mother if there's so many of them and only one skull? Was it even ever specified whether there was more than one Cubone? Even if the Cubone were still alive, how would they manage to survive if their mother was dead, they're stuck in a tower instead of being with a trainer, and there are ghosts all around them? Why would they appear as Ghosts without the Silph Scope if they were alive? If they're dead and you catch them, why would they all of a sudden turn alive? Was there one Marowak or several?

I've wondered this since I was a kid. By the way, since we're on the Pokemon Yellow board and this topic is about Cubone, did anybody else used to think that a huge gaping hole was torn through Cubone's torso in the Yellow sprite?

http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/a/aa/Spr_1y_104.png

inb4peopleignorethedisclaimer
inb4tccantinb4
---
"no but if anything chris redfield would look like nathan drake because uncharted was made first, so therefore you fail epicly" - Suchapayne
#2WindsorcererPosted 11/10/2009 6:41:23 PM
Nintendo didn't think it through.

Only reason I can give you.
---
''Most people are so ungrateful to be alive. But not you. Not anymore.''
#3devinator5(Topic Creator)Posted 11/10/2009 8:01:54 PM
Nintendo didn't develop this game, did they?
---
"no but if anything chris redfield would look like nathan drake because uncharted was made first, so therefore you fail epicly" - Suchapayne
#4gbchaosmasterPosted 11/11/2009 8:06:53 AM
Okay, so according to the story, all those Cubone there should be the children of the mother Marowak that was killed by Team Rocket, right?

Says who?
---
gbchaosmaster
#5GunbladeladPosted 11/11/2009 8:33:10 AM
The Cubone who's mother was killed by Team Rocket is in Mr Fuji's house.

The rest are all wild. Why they're living in a graveyard tower? Mayber, as Ground types, they're the gravediggers...

Finally, the game was made by Gamefreak - not Nintendo. However, Nintedo did put up almost all the financing for the first games.
---
Where logic won't work - I will
#6gbchaosmasterPosted 11/11/2009 8:35:01 AM
That makes more sense.

In addition to the possible gravedigger reference, they mourn for their dead mother, which is possibly buried there. Or maybe they mourn for others' mothers. They're chronic mourners.
---
gbchaosmaster
#7devinator5(Topic Creator)Posted 11/11/2009 10:35:27 AM

From: gbchaosmaster | Posted: 11/11/2009 7:06:53 AM | #004
Says who?

My assumption, thus the "right?" at the end.

From: gunbladelad77 | Posted: 11/11/2009 7:33:10 AM | #005
The Cubone who's mother was killed by Team Rocket is in Mr Fuji's house.

Never knew that. Actually, I think I may have kind of known that, but I never really put much thought into it.

From: gunbladelad77 | Posted: 11/11/2009 7:33:10 AM | #005
The rest are all wild. Why they're living in a graveyard tower? Mayber, as Ground types, they're the gravediggers...

So you're telling me the fact that a mother Marowak was killed in Pokemon Tower and the fact that there are wild Cubone roaming around the Tower have absolutely nothing to do with each other? That is, it's a coincidence that mother-less Cubone (plural) are wandering around there?

This would imply that all those Cubone (plural) are still alive, which is what I was wondering. But in that case, why would they appear as Ghosts without the Silph Scope?
---
#8gbchaosmasterPosted 11/11/2009 11:45:15 AM
Sort of a coincidence, sort of not. While only one Marowak was killed there, it's like I speculated: the other Marowaks that the other Cubones are mourning for could very well be buried there as well, or maybe they're mourning for other Marowaks, or even other pokemon.

Why aren't they detected by the Silph Scope? Perhaps there are too many wild Gastly/Haunter making illusions that make it hard to identify the tower. (as evidenced by the manga, and the FR/LG mist). But then there are no problems with fighting Channelers (who are even possessed by their own pokemon), so I don't know. For that reason, I think you should be required to fight channelers with the Silph Scope - if you don't have it, it's the usual endless battle, but you CAN run away.

Why was a Marowak there? Well, Cubones who live in the tower longer than usual are bound to evolve sooner or later, no? It's an age thing. Which brings me another flaw: Pokemon Tower needs a wild Marowak chance. (How cool would that be?)

Cubone might have been the closest thing to a skeleton/skull that Game Freak thought of at the time...
---
gbchaosmaster
#9devinator5(Topic Creator)Posted 11/11/2009 12:22:28 PM
Oh, you can fight Channelers without the Silph Scope? Interesting. I might have known that when I was a kid, but subsequently forgot it.

How many people do you think have put as much thought into the matter as we have?
---
#10gbchaosmasterPosted 11/11/2009 1:36:45 PM
It's pretty clear that you're the undisputed champ of putting thought into pokemon by now. I'm just following your lead. >_>
---
gbchaosmaster