Battle Music FFVII Ripoff?

#1elecid666Posted 3/8/2008 12:52:34 PM
I thought the Quest 64 battle theme sounded like a complete FFVII ripoff. Anyone else think so?
#2SomeCrazyGuyPosted 3/8/2008 3:22:11 PM
Not likely... Sure, by a certain time, music, writing, visuals, etc. will always tend to sound a little like something that came before it, not necessarily because it is a 'rip-off', but because there are only so many variations anyone could put on any set of sounds, and originality is almost an impossibility... But also, I don't see much in common with the songs.

*Super mario RPG (SNES) Spoilers, Quest 64 Minor Spoilers*
If you think I'm just blindly covering for Quest 64, let it be known that I think Mammon is a rip-off of Culex (Secret Boss from Super Mario RPG, which is an adaptation of a boss from FFIV, but I've never played FFIV, so I'm a bit in the dark on that... But yeah, whatever boss Culex is based off of, definitely).
---
---
•••••••••• "Pfft, socializing... What's with that? That fad will never last." ~ Kabutroid •••••••••• ••• Š¤M€ĮŽåžŸđÚ˙ •••
#3kingkilla3Posted 3/9/2008 6:29:02 PM
I actually never listened to the music while playing Final Fantasy VII.
#4Skygor_IIPosted 3/11/2008 7:27:18 AM
Oddly when I first saw a FF7 battle I thought that it sounded a lot like Quest 64. About the first three measures are similar and that's about it.
#5SomeCrazyGuyPosted 3/11/2008 7:10:14 PM
Sadly, IF, and I only mean IF, one rips off the others' music, Quest 64 would have to be ripping off FFVII, since FFVII was released about 18 months BEFORE Quest 64... But my original argument still stands, and I don't think either rip off the other.
---
---
•••••••••• "Pfft, socializing... What's with that? That fad will never last." ~ Kabutroid •••••••••• ••• Š¤M€ĮŽåžŸđÚ˙ •••
#6Foxhound3857Posted 3/11/2008 7:27:26 PM
Star Ocean 3 was original. It was VERY original. I love that game to death.

---
Brawl friend code: 2664-1767-7765
#7elecid666(Topic Creator)Posted 3/13/2008 3:52:38 PM
Oh I loved that Culex fight.

And it really is only the first few measures that seem so similar to me. Not lawsuit-worthy ripping off.

It seemed that the developers might have though "Gee FFVII is an rpg. It did well, and it had dark and bouncy battle music. Maybe if we add dark and bouncy battle music that sounds a little like FFVII, our game will sell better!"

And maybe it worked... I certainly liked most of the game's music. The most frustrating part was the lack of item shops and... well... interactive gameplay.
#8KantolinPosted 3/16/2008 2:45:14 AM
Hwa? Quest's battle theme is very, very little like FF7's. The very beginning is hazily like FF1-6's introduction at best.

Kantolin the Wind Master
---
Sic Gloria Transit Del Mundi