Difficulty? Is first or second place supposed to be an easy achievement?

#1rizz1010Posted 9/11/2008 8:17:32 AM
I've just started playing this game, and it seems like the difficulty in Circuit Mode is quite high. Currently, I find it nearly impossible to place first in the very first race in the Beginner Circuit. Placing second is quite tough as well, although I can handle placing third no problem. I haven't been using the shortcuts though, and my car is obviously not upgraded (I only have 100 miles logged in so far).

As I log in the miles, and car upgrades become available, will I have an easier time with the circuits, or do the computer controlled cars get better & faster as I upgrade too?

Do you veterans have any difficulty with Circuit mode? I am still learning the courses a little bit so I'm not at my absolute top speed, but I feel like I know the first 2 races well enough to be finishing higher up than I actually am.

---
Last Game Conquered: Banjo Kazooie (N64)
Current Game I'm Playing: San Francisco Rush 2049 (N64)
#2zero42gPosted 9/12/2008 9:21:18 AM
The computer controlled cars won't get better based on your performance or abilities. The shortcuts can sometimes be dangerous and difficult to navigate, but they are the key to taking the lead and getting 1st place. I have to say though, that it's still a challenge even with the shortcuts. The game really makes you earn your ranks.

Are you playing this on an N64, or has it been released to the Wii?
#3rizz1010(Topic Creator)Posted 9/15/2008 7:17:13 AM
I'm playing it on the N64, and it's been pretty fun so far. I think I'm going to enjoy the challenge level for this one. I just unlocked a new engine last night, and notice a little difference. Looks like things will get even easier when the really good items get unlocked.

If there are any particular shortcuts on any of the levels that are recommended, please let me know.

---
Last Game Conquered: Banjo Kazooie (N64)
Current Game I'm Playing: San Francisco Rush 2049 (N64)
#4zero42gPosted 9/15/2008 9:33:01 AM
As your car becomes faster it will be a little more difficult to control, so the 'ease' you gain from the increased speed is adverse to the precision required to control it. I could easily find all of the shortcuts if I played the game again, but my 64 has been stored in a closet for quite a while now and I don't know of any from memory. They'll likely all be pointed out in FAQ's though; if you're willing to read through a lot of stuff to find them. If this game was on the VC, I'd download it and make a map for each track. I don't know that anyone ever did that before. Oh well. Sorry I can't be of more help. Good luck!