The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

Shining Ark? New Game?

#1kilaudePosted 8/14/2012 4:51:01 AM
I've been a long time fan of this game, being one of the first I got (and loved) when I had a Saturn.

That being said, I'm pretty excited by this "Shining Ark" being a remake or a sequel.

What do you guys figure?

"Sega has recently registered Shining Ark for trademark protection in Japan, which seems to be a new game in the Shining series, or a remake/sequel to Shining the Holy Ark for Sega Saturn."

http://www.the-magicbox.com/
#2MartinIIIaPosted 8/14/2012 6:39:34 AM
Hate to say it, but the most likely possibility is that the name similarity is just a coincidence.

The chances of it being a sequel are pretty much nil, since (1)there's very little demand for one right now, and (2)Sega haven't done a single game set in the original Shining universe since Camelot parted ways with them in 1998.

As for a remake, that's also pretty unlikely, since 1st person dungeon crawlers in general have been out of fashion for many years.
#3kilaude(Topic Creator)Posted 8/14/2012 11:08:07 AM
MartinIIIa posted...
Hate to say it, but the most likely possibility is that the name similarity is just a coincidence.

The chances of it being a sequel are pretty much nil, since (1)there's very little demand for one right now, and (2)Sega haven't done a single game set in the original Shining universe since Camelot parted ways with them in 1998.

As for a remake, that's also pretty unlikely, since 1st person dungeon crawlers in general have been out of fashion for many years.

Yeah, when you put it that way I've got to agree with you unfortunately.. but wasn't the "remake" - if you can call it like that - of Persona 1 for the psp also dungeon crawler like?

Maybe, if the game is destined for a handheld, we'll be lucky...
#4Jallen9000Posted 8/14/2012 2:44:48 PM
Also adding to the rain on your parade; in the unlikely event that it does get made Shining games rarely get released outside of Japan these days.

I mean you might speak Japanese and been able to get cheap imports but for me it's a downer.
---
What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know.
It's what we know for sure that just ain't so.
#5MartinIIIaPosted 8/14/2012 2:59:38 PM
kilaude posted...
Yeah, when you put it that way I've got to agree with you unfortunately.. but wasn't the "remake" - if you can call it like that - of Persona 1 for the psp also dungeon crawler like?

I don't know, as I'm not familiar with that game sadly.

I guess a handheld remake has a significant chance of happening, but I can't stir up much hope that it actually will. Mind you, I will be keeping my eyes and ears open for further word of this, just in case. Shining the Holy Ark is among my five or six all-time favorite games, so I doubt a remake would live up to it, but I would still get a kick out of playing one.
#6Sn4k3Ey3SPosted 9/2/2012 5:58:51 AM
if there is a remake, prequel, or sequel, i am sure fans like us will like it. HEhee
---
--=}^InViNciB|3^n4K3Ey3^{=--
#7Sn4k3Ey3SPosted 9/17/2012 9:05:20 AM
bump.... ...
---
#8Sn4k3Ey3SPosted 10/15/2012 7:51:16 AM
bump.... ....
---
#9VampiricDragon_Posted 10/18/2012 11:50:30 AM
sounds like a shining game and not part of this
#10kilaude(Topic Creator)Posted 10/23/2012 11:38:26 AM
VampiricDragon_ posted...
sounds like a shining game and not part of this

Yeah, unfortunately since Camelot parted ways with Sega, the Shining series haven't really been the same..