Ask me ANYTHING about Silent Hill !!!!!!!! (mostly SH 1, 2 and 3)

#1sknmakPosted 4/5/2009 2:14:02 PM
Just ask me anything related to Silent Hill storyline (even gameplay?) or whatever, I'll try to answer the question the best way I can. This will also help me with my Q and A section in my FAQ.

Don't be shy............ask away!
---
The Wii-mote speaker is almost like surround sound
It should have headphone support. -my brother- XD
#2Sylent02Posted 4/5/2009 2:44:00 PM
How do you pronounce your name?? ;)
</jk>

Seriously though...what do those sewer demons represent...?
i don't think Alessa had a drawing/referrence to them...
---
There was a HOLE here, now it's in Henry Townshend's bathroom.-yay4gippali
X-Box Live GT:Silent302
#3sknmak(Topic Creator)Posted 4/5/2009 3:28:57 PM
^ Yeah I get a lot of comments on the puncturation,

Your question: Sewer demons??? There are different enemies in the Sewer, so I'm guessing you are talking about the "Hanged Scratcher " aka green "Mutant (Ninja) Turtles"

Straight from my FAQ (http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/psx/file/198641/35256)

"Hanged Scratcher " aka green "Mutant (Ninja) Turtles"

Similar to the Creepers representation and/or metaphor, this is
Alessa's hatred/fear of insects.

-------------------------------------------
(creepers - The Creeper are a image of Alessa dislike of insects. These enemies
are a manifested image. )

---
#4EverDownwardPosted 4/5/2009 3:52:08 PM
In your honest opinion, sknmak, who do you believe the phone call from the disconnected payphone is from in the Alternate Brookhaven Hospital in Silent Hill 3?
---
"Long is the way and hard, that out of Hell leads up to light." -Paradise Lost, Book II (John Milton)
#5JurassicUtilityPosted 4/5/2009 4:11:11 PM
Secondly, Harry didn't use the "aglaophotis" on Cybil in the first place! Silent Hill games love to confuse the hell out of the gamer. In the "canon" or true ending that combines SH 1 and SH 3 storyline (the GOOD ENDING), Harry kills Cybil. He DOES NOT use the aglaophotis on her.

Fair enough I suppose. I personally wouldn't be so quick to discount all of the things that happen in the "unofficial" endings. Even if much of he information in the multiple endings may be redherrings in the context of the series as a whole, I think they can still yield useful information if taken with a grain of salt.

Anyways, here's my theory about why agloaphotis has the effect it does. For starters I'm pretty sure we all accept that the world of Silent Hill takes place in a supernatural realm that's separate from the "real world" - the one we normally perceive. We also accept that the monsters and scenery within it are products of Alessa's mind (her unconscious mind as Dahlia later confirms). We also know from later games that Silent Hill will take forms that are specific to an individual's personal insecurities and fears (I.E. James in SH2). The reason that Harry and others see Alessa's vision of Silent Hill instead of their own is because Alessa is a powerful psychic, thus holding far greater power in the spiritual realm.

My theory can then be summed up in a single sentence: "Belief is power."

You see?
Any of the things that you see in the spiritual realm only have power because Alessa believes they have power. This goes for the other games as well. Here's an example of this in action SH3. In that game Heather tried to use the Seal of Metatron. But after Claudia said, "Oh, thatís just a piece of junk. What do you think you can do with that? Do you really think it can kill God? Iím sorry to see you fell for my fatherís foolishness", Heather's faith in the artifact was shaken and it became a useless piece of junk.

So I think the reason aglaophotis worked in SH3 is not because it was swallowed, but because Heather had faith in her father, whereas she didn't have faith in "occult mumbo jumbo". So perhaps the reason that same aglaophotis didn't work on Alessa was because Dahlia hadn't taught her about aglaophotis. Dahlia had seven years to teach her daughter her own occult believes, so I doubt this was coincidence. What Kaufman knew was that Dahlia believed aglaophotis had the power to exorcise spirits, the mistake he made was assuming that Alessa did as well. Dahlia instead taught Alessa things that would be advantageous for her own plan (like the power of the Flauros).

So why did the vial of aglaophotis do what it did to Alessa? Well... this is the point were I start throwing around pure conjecture. ;p

So assuming Alessa didn't know what aglaophotis is, what might she have thought it did? What she saw was that Kaufman was convinced he had the upper hand, and that Dahlia was genuinely frightened (she had destroyed what she thought was all that remained of the stuff because she was still fearful of it's possible effects). Not trusting either of them, Alessa probably assumed it would be something that would hurt her, like a powerful acid.

Therefore it burned her.
---
"But, what ends when the symbols shatter?"
#6sknmak(Topic Creator)Posted 4/5/2009 5:45:05 PM
I personally wouldn't be so quick to discount all of the things that happen in the "unofficial" endings. Even if much of he information in the multiple endings may be redherrings in the context of the series as a whole, I think they can still yield useful information if taken with a grain of salt.

IOk I see you missed what I said (since I forgot to add a word) I said:

It could be the developers trying to play with us a little bit. I mean yes, the different (endings) can expand on the storyline in various ways

(different ENDINGS) SORRY I forgot to include that word "ending" lol. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
--------------------

And ooooook. I read your post. Basically you are saying that things are powerful as people (including Alessa/Heather) think they are. I don't think that it's that simple, but that's one way to look at it I suppose. I used to think like you did a long time ago about the SH storyline etc, but I just couldn't find enough info to keep thinking like that. I mean definite information in the game.

I believe Claudia was correct when she said that the "Seal of Metatron" was a piece of junk at that moment. It was too late to ouse the seal at that point anyways.

I hope people don't get the usage of the "Seal of Metatron" and the "aglaophotis" confused.
---
#7JurassicUtilityPosted 4/5/2009 7:57:57 PM
Ok I see you missed what I said (since I forgot to add a word) I said:

It could be the developers trying to play with us a little bit. I mean yes, the different (endings) can expand on the storyline in various ways

(different ENDINGS) SORRY I forgot to include that word "ending" lol. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Ah, okay. There was a bit of misunderstanding there. :)
I was little confused on your meaning there, but to me it sounded like you were basically saying "if it happened in a non-cannon ending, then it didn't happen", which is both true yet not true. I mean... I'm pretty sure we can agree that those other 3 endings (I'm leaving out the UFO ending you'll note :P) are reflections of things that would've happened had certain events taken or not taken place. With that mindset, I'm going to have to be able account for the apparently inconsistent effects of aglaophotis in any theory I set out to create. Whether or not they turn out to be redherrings, I'm not just going to ignore them.

Basically you are saying that things are powerful as people (including Alessa/Heather) think they are. I don't think that it's that simple, but that's one way to look at it I suppose. I used to think like you did a long time ago about the SH storyline etc, but I just couldn't find enough info to keep thinking like that. I mean definite information in the game.

So... what exactly are you disagreeing with here? If you say "it's not that simple" then what evidence are you going provide to support that statement? You say that there isn't enough definite information in the game to support my theory, but I'm of the opinion that there's plenty.

I believe Claudia was correct when she said that the "Seal of Metatron" was a piece of junk at that moment. It was too late to ouse the seal at that point anyways.

I'll admit that I actually haven't played SH3, so I'm most likely missing details. Come to think of it, was it ever said exactly what the Seal of Metatron was supposed to do in SH3? From what I've read, it seems that Claudia's father gave Heather the seal after she told him she wished to kill Claudia, but I'm assuming that it was supposed to kill "God" from the piece of dialogue I quoted. In any case, why do you think it was "too late" to use? Seriously, if there's anything wrong with the logic or evidence I use, tear into it. :)

I hope people don't get the usage of the "Seal of Metatron" and the "aglaophotis" confused.

I agree actually... the Seal of Metatron in particular seems to mean different things depending one who's talking about them in the games.
---
"But, what ends when the symbols shatter?"
#8Silent_21_SnakePosted 4/6/2009 8:29:22 AM
Question always burned me up was Laura. Mean she was a 8 year old girl who couldn't see the monsters james saw (no need explain that totally know on why) it just where did she come from..drawn to SH in search of Mary but how did she get there..who's her parents..where'd she come from..james didn't invent her being she was real..some theorists think judge holloway is Laura but even so..where the heck did she come from..she was an orphan i remember which is why mary wanted to adopt her but at the end of the day how the devil she get there and where did she come from?

Other 1 is which is the cannon ending for Homecoming? i know you said the first 3 but lol if anyone knows..can't figure that 1 out at all..endings contradict everything..most likely the hospital ending but seems all to be hard to work out..

And also in borley haunted mansion the voiceover for the narrator tour guide is blatantly leonard right? sounds identical..is that just a slip up or did SH3 intend for that?
---
"Its being invaded by the other world. A world of someone's nightmarish delusion's come to life." - Harry Mason SH
#9Sylent02Posted 4/6/2009 9:54:22 AM
Some people think that Laura is just another creature made by the town (like Maria), on account of her Letter that she gives to James in the hotel, and that she was just there to help James towards the truth.

The other reason (which I think makes more sense) is that she is a real person, and just happens to be there.
I think that the letter she gave James was accurate, and that James never left Silent Hill after Mary's death.

James forgot the events of what happened, so he could have also made himself think there was a three year gap between Mary's death and the start of the game.

Laura would still be there from after being in hospital with Mary, so it still works as her being a real person that just happened to be caught up in the events (in the real world of course).

As for the Homecoming canon ending, I haven't got all the endings yet, but I think it must be either the hospital ending (but I didn't really by the whole "It was all just a dream" thing) or the smile ending (needs more wheeler)

Haven't got the Judgement ending or the in water ending yet, so it's just an opinion at the moment.
---
There was a HOLE here, now it's in Henry Townshend's bathroom.-yay4gippali
X-Box Live GT:Silent302
#10Random_MemberPosted 4/6/2009 6:21:22 PM
Continuing from the last thread. . .

>The Incubus was defeated and went back home (to the incubator) which is the protector for it's life until birth/spiritual ritual (aka "incubator" Alessa's womb).

This doesnít really explain why Incubus transforms into Incubator. Also, how do you explain Dahlia calling Incubator a God that has reached out to save us?