Permanently missable characters?

#71kineticboy2001Posted 4/18/2011 2:08:23 AM
Wow... I'm just amazed...

I popped Suikoden II into my PSX an hour ago for nostalgia's sake and I wanted to try for a 100% run. Hoping that the internet would be my savior I happened upon a thread displaying just the topic title I'd been searching for. Luckily it had the information I needed to walk away a smarter man, but no, I had to keep reading...

I can't even believe that this is being talked about. I thought the concept was quite clear:

- To play a game normally and complete it only to find out there was some extra thing you had to do to get something or someone (the game not prompting it's existence in any way) means you missed it. Darn, you can't go back and get it, bummer man.

- To DIRECTLY say NO to a dude who has asked you a SPECIFIC question where said answer make him leave means you ****ed up.

You didn't "miss" anybody, you LOST him as a potential companion. If I dropped a vase to the floor of my own free will, then I am minus a vase; he becomes unavailable, you shouldn't have assumed you could just go and apologize after the fact to make everything better. You say no, that's your fault, deal with it.

My god.
---
When you feel the world owes you something, think to yourself what you did for the 6 billion other people out there.
>>budz.thewebcomic.com
#72StrombadaPosted 4/18/2011 11:15:51 AM
Is this argument still going on? Looks like FinalLegion's stubbornness refuses to let the issue slide that Jess is a totally missable character.
---
Yang: My papa always taught me that you could solve any problem in life by throwing a barrel at it.
Edward: Your father was Donkey Kong?
#73SIMStevenPosted 4/18/2011 2:22:38 PM(edited)
I get my definition of something that's missable from something that's missable. I don't include secrets or hidden, easily overlooked things in my definition to make my argument sound better, FL. Secrets and hidden things have their own classification and are seperate discussions.

Anything that's missable is something you cannot go back to later and retrieve. Otherwise, if you CAN go back and retrieve them they techincally are something you "missed." Gaming terms, people.

Another example of a missable are drops from Ragged Ones. They have a few exclusive Plans items in their drop tables plus a bath item which only they carry. Gale Runes from Sickles, for example, is another item that's missable. This is because after you proceed far enough into the game, these enemies are replaces by other enemies and therefore, you cannot get the items they hold when
---
MegaMan Legends 3 is officially announced!
Head on over to Capcom's Dev Room to take part in fan-driven development!
#74DejanjiPosted 4/20/2011 4:21:14 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#75themegaman7Posted 4/30/2011 3:03:43 AM
I missed Emilia once, If you don't initialize the conversation, where she realizes you're the (orange?) army, when you're first time in Greenhill, She cannot be gotten after that, so even thought she's rather hard to miss I'd still say she should be counted as a missable.
---
Themegaman7 aka Expa0
#76AsmodeanBTPosted 4/30/2011 4:46:41 AM
Then again, since you can recruit Emilia after you liberate Greenhill maybe we shouldn't count her as missable at all.
---
Prejudice is a great time saver. It enables you to form opinions without bothering to get facts.
#77themegaman7Posted 4/30/2011 5:38:12 AM
AsmodeanBT posted...
Then again, since you can recruit Emilia after you liberate Greenhill maybe we shouldn't count her as missable at all.

No you can't, because for whatever reason she disappears completely after the first greenhill event if you don't recruit her.
---
Themegaman7 aka Expa0
#78AsmodeanBTPosted 4/30/2011 6:16:59 AM
No, she doesn't. She even has specific dialouge if you get her later.

But hey, don't take my word for it. let's check the recruitment FAQ:

If you didn't recruit her in the Greenhill school event you can get her after you liberate Greenhill later in the game just by talking to her

Now, let's check gensopedia:

Depending on your choices in dialog options, you can recruit Emilia during your first trip to Greenhill, otherwsie she will be automatically recruited after the Liberation of Greenhill scenario, much later in the game.

For good measure, let's check wiki as well:

If you do not you'll have to wait until you liberate Greenhill to recruit her.

Now, bugger off.
---
Prejudice is a great time saver. It enables you to form opinions without bothering to get facts.
#79themegaman7Posted 4/30/2011 6:44:59 AM
well Itīs been such a long time, I suppose I was just mistaken. Sorry.
---
Themegaman7 aka Expa0
#80KingofDeceit666Posted 5/1/2011 7:04:59 PM
kineticboy2001 posted...
Wow... I'm just amazed...

I popped Suikoden II into my PSX an hour ago for nostalgia's sake and I wanted to try for a 100% run. Hoping that the internet would be my savior I happened upon a thread displaying just the topic title I'd been searching for. Luckily it had the information I needed to walk away a smarter man, but no, I had to keep reading...

I can't even believe that this is being talked about. I thought the concept was quite clear:

- To play a game normally and complete it only to find out there was some extra thing you had to do to get something or someone (the game not prompting it's existence in any way) means you missed it. Darn, you can't go back and get it, bummer man.

- To DIRECTLY say NO to a dude who has asked you a SPECIFIC question where said answer make him leave means you ****ed up.

You didn't "miss" anybody, you LOST him as a potential companion. If I dropped a vase to the floor of my own free will, then I am minus a vase; he becomes unavailable, you shouldn't have assumed you could just go and apologize after the fact to make everything better. You say no, that's your fault, deal with it.

My god.

Exactly. You can't "miss" Jess, but you can choose not to recruit him. He's just like every other character that asks if they can join, in that you can accept or reject them. The only difference is that you can't recruit him later if you tell him no.

Like your analogy, if you choose to drop a vase, it's gone. You didn't lose the vase, or anything like that, you specifically chose to drop the vase. You chose to give it up.
---
"Such a lot the gods gave to me--to me, the dazed, the disappointed; the barren, the broken."~H.P. Lovecraft