Recruiting Blacksmith

#1xMynDxPosted 5/4/2008 9:18:07 AM
So I started up a Suikoden file about 1.5 years ago and I played until the battle with Luca Blight. Unfortunately I was continuously slaughtered by him, and ended up putting the game down as I was distracted with other matters. Long story short, before I gave it up, I realized one of my biggest problems was that I did not have many of the weapons upgraded for many characters (which was holding me back in this battle as it is a multi-character fight).

I looked around for a blacksmith--EVERYWHERE. I either wasn't allowed in the cities, or the blacksmiths weren't "good" enough in the towns I could go. SO, I'm guessing I needed to recruit the blacksmith to my castle. Unfortunately, I never did this, and I seemed unable to get him as my entry to GreenHill was not permitted.

So my question is, when in the timeline of the game can you recruit a blacksmith? I started up a new file today and I don't want to pass it and get stuck again!

I bet I was missing something too, but I don't feel like continuing my old save file either as the story has begun to fade in my mind.

Anyway, thanks.
#2AsmodeanBTPosted 5/4/2008 9:32:35 AM
Wouldn't it be great if there was some sort of game faqs site for these things?

Oh, wait...
---
Not arrogant, just better.
#3dli17Posted 5/4/2008 11:33:21 AM
The blacksmith is one of the last characters you can recruit, actually. And even then, he only gets you up to Weapon Level 6 if you don't have the necessary items to improve his blacksmithing abilities.

What you want to do is just use the blacksmith at Kuskus Town, who will continuously improve his abilities over time until Weapon Level 11 (I believe he can only get up to 6 when you first see him, but he'll improve). That should tide you over until you reach Tinto, whose blacksmith will get you up to Weapon Level 13. After recruiting Tessai, you want to give him the Golden Hammer so he can get you all the way up to Level 16.
---
Currently interested in:
Phoenix Wright: Trials and Tribulations, Final Fantasy Tactics A2, Tales of Eternia
#4JHawksPosted 5/5/2008 1:57:13 AM
Well you can only recruit the Blacksmith Tessai AFTER defeating Luca Blight.

The only town that can sharpen your weapon to the maximum as it can get for that point in the game is the blacksmith in Kuskus Village since his shop isn't blocked by Highland.

Oh and I suggest you don't rely on sharpened weapons only when you're fighting Luca Blight ^^
---
"We did not betray the country. The country betrayed us." - Jowy Atreides
#5xMynDx(Topic Creator)Posted 5/5/2008 8:57:58 AM
I don't rely on sharpened weapons only against Luca, it's just that I only sharpened about 7 or 8 of my characters weapons, leaving the rest of them quite weak. Instead of balancing characters out, I focused my time on a select few, therefore a lot were left ignored and I cannot defeat Luca.

As for Kuskus then, I'll just have to keep checking there when I get later in the game again. For some reason I only thought he was upgrading to less than what the GreenHill guy was upgrading to (and therefore figured there was another blacksmith I must somehow recruit/find at that point).

Ah well, I'm gonna take the game slower this time around....

On a side note, Wouldn't it be great if there was some sort of game faqs site for these things? , Thanks for your smart-*** remark. Of course, if being on a site for game FAQs is SO obvious, then you should probably assume that I already know about them and therefore have a reason for asking. In this case, I was having difficulty pinpointing blacksmith recruiting in the FAQ, and therefore asked.
#6JHawksPosted 5/6/2008 1:19:02 AM
I believe the Kuskus blacksmith during Luca's night raid is the highest at that point. He sharpens to level 12 I think. After that, you require the hammers to go further.

Oh and don't worry about smart remarks, it's the internet, just ignore them ^^
---
"We did not betray the country. The country betrayed us." - Jowy Atreides
#7xMynDx(Topic Creator)Posted 5/6/2008 3:19:01 PM
Alrighty, well thank you. I'm also going to spend more time level grinding too (with different characters) this time around. I might not need to, but if there's a game to do it with, it's Suikoden II. Between the Auto attack function (perfect for lvl grinding for most of the game) and the depth to this game... it's the way to go.
#8magicmalcolmPosted 5/7/2008 10:22:23 AM
I believe the Kuskus blacksmith during Luca's night raid is the highest at that point. He sharpens to level 12 I think. After that, you require the hammers to go further.

The Kuskus Blacksmith can eventually sharpen up to Level 11, and that's where he stops.

But, yes, that's the highest level available to the TC for the Luca Blight battle...and, indeed, until he reaches Tinto (who sharpens up to Level 13).
---
MUFFIN!
I suggest you run. I suggest you ambulate as fast as the local gravity will allow.