Best Unit Setups for War Battles

#1knightblazer85Posted 8/19/2011 3:22:49 PM
I'm trying to figure out a good unit setup for the war battles.

has anybody on here got any good setups?

usually i just stick as many units as i can with a cavalry or long ranged movement ability and leave it at that. but i want to try and make better use of my units

any ideas?
#2Final LegionPosted 8/19/2011 4:40:12 PM
knightblazer85 posted...
I'm trying to figure out a good unit setup for the war battles.

has anybody on here got any good setups?

usually i just stick as many units as i can with a cavalry or long ranged movement ability and leave it at that. but i want to try and make better use of my units

any ideas?

Well, what happens in war battles has a lot to do with the RNG (Random Number Generator). It's because of this that every so often you'll see something like a unit with an ATK of 6 be able to wound a unit with a DEF of 11.

Cavalry is a good ability to make use of, for obvious reasons. Units that can do long range attacks, like Flik and Luc's units, are worth using. Units that incorporate the Heal and Bodyguard abilities are useful. Critical is also a useful skill to put into a unit, as this gives your unit a higher chance of scoring a critical strike.

Just remember to try and make your ATK/DEF ratings decent. The RNG means that there's no way to know 100% that your unit is going to succeed, but the better numbers can only be helpful.
---
Poison Clan Rocks The World.
#3knightblazer85(Topic Creator)Posted 8/20/2011 8:13:58 AM
yeah usually for the most part i just leave the units as they are. and tinker with the stats as needed with the party members i have.

flik always starts with tsai and tai ho and i usually leave him that way.

luc always gets humphrey for extra defence and for some reason Jeane always ends up with Shin in the Mayor of Greenhill's unit and i usually leave her there.

when i get camus and miklotov i always give Riou and Viktor one of them until i can get my mits on Klaus to take one of the knight's place for cavalry and evade

here's a question. is the activation of the evade and critical abilities on war units always random?
#4Final LegionPosted 8/20/2011 12:06:48 PM
^Yes, Evade and Critical are activated randomly.
---
Poison Clan Rocks The World.
#5jimboace88Posted 8/21/2011 12:57:02 PM
knightblazer85 posted...
yeah usually for the most part i just leave the units as they are. and tinker with the stats as needed with the party members i have.

flik always starts with tsai and tai ho and i usually leave him that way.

luc always gets humphrey for extra defence and for some reason Jeane always ends up with Shin in the Mayor of Greenhill's unit and i usually leave her there.

when i get camus and miklotov i always give Riou and Viktor one of them until i can get my mits on Klaus to take one of the knight's place for cavalry and evade

here's a question. is the activation of the evade and critical abilities on war units always random?

I would advise against leaving units the way they are. While the game doesn't do a horrible job, you can make much more efficient/powerful unit setups yourself. For instance, I would recommend giving Luc as much damage boosting as you can and don't worry about his defense. If I recall correctly, I stuck Pesmerga and Jess or another +2/+3 ATK character on him. Pesmerga is helpful for the cavalry ability. I realize this is a late-game setup, so for the time until then you might want to consider Miklotov/Hanna (better than nothing).

The reason I place so much emphasis on Luc's unit in my games is that you can pretty much make or break your war battles with his unt. He can attack from 4 squares away (IIRC) and it's pretty easy to buff up his attack since it starts high. Also, due to the 4 square attack range, defense is a non-issue since you can just put some units between him and the enemy to protect him.

I would recommend not wasting a critical skill on a unit that you won't be using for direct battle--in this sense, keeping Shin on Teresa's unit is not a great move (plus Teresa's unit blows). Stick critical ability characters on your infantry or cavalry units (i.e. Viktor, Valeria). A great army unit that already HAS critical is Ridley's unit, so I would put Humphrey on him for the Heavy Armor and maybe Tai Ho for a little defense boost plus more ass-kicking ability--that way he can take an extra sword of damage while dishing out more damage in the mean-time (side note: I'm pretty sure Ridley's critical ability activates more frequently than the other characters).

I could go on for much longer about the war battle--this was my favorite war battle system in the Suikoden series, followed closely by V, but I think you get the idea.