Clive Quest time limit shock!

#1JohnnyjuevesPosted 11/13/2011 8:09:49 AM
Well, I'm playing through Suikoden 2, as I do every year (sometimes twice) since I bought the game back in 2001 and I finally decided to try my hand at Clive's Quest. Usually I get distracted by doing all the things I love in the game and decide to play properly instead of just rushing through. So this time I steeled myself and was doing fine until just before Lakewest, when I got distracted from the game and just left it for an hour. Oops.

So, anyway, I played through until Lakewest and got there 1 hour before the time limit, ditto for the other checkpoints until the one that takes place after Nanami dies. I didn't realise how much it would take to travel to Gregminster, kill Luca, Tinto, Greenhill and Muse. I also use way too much magic and don't run away from battles so when I got to Muse I was over 21 hours into the game.

To my surprise events played out as expected even as I was supposedly 2 hours late. I also got to see the final showdown in Sajah with over 22 hours played. I though I had a 20 hour time limit for that? Maybe the time limit is just for the Lakewest cut scene? Maybe all the checkpoints are surplus to requirements?

Now I'm running around recruiting most of the characters that I hadn't bothered to pick up beforehand and they're mostly available too. The only one I can't seem to get is Zamza, as Nanami is dead. Just makes you think that sometimes the advice given in FAQs is not as well researched as you expect it to be.

God, I love Suikoden :3
#2DarthMordechaiPosted 11/13/2011 11:19:48 AM
I'm sure you can bring someone else aside from Nanami to recruit Zamza, although I can't remember who. I do remember reading that it's possible though
---
My friends call me Hadoken because I'm down-right fierce
LADIES WATCH OUT FOR YOUR MAN HE MAY BE TRYING TO EAT 50 MCNUGGETS AS YOU READ THIS
#3Final LegionPosted 11/13/2011 4:15:18 PM
Hm. I think you must have Nanami in your party to recruit Zamza. The only two places to recruit Zamza are Toto and South Window. I'm 99% sure that Nanami has to be a party member; of course, I could be wrong...it's been a little while since I played S2.
---
Poison Clan Rocks The World.
#4SIMStevenPosted 11/13/2011 5:43:50 PM(edited)
There's plenty of time to do the quest even if you recruit all 108 stars and farm all the notable rare items (even a few of the missable runes like the Technique, Silence and Gale runes). Even doing flawless victories in war battles, especially if you're meant to lose them (like Ridley Ambushed).

Although my primary suggestion is if you care to read the story, do so first and then soft-reset. As with all speed runs, knowing how to get from point A to point B is crucial. But more importantly, skipping the dialogue is the best way to move the game along.

In my perfect transfer file that I made a few years back, I managed to do the quest, get all the rare drop items, and still managed to finish with about 2 hours to spare. Although there's a BIG storyline gap between Radat and Muse so don't think you're gonna get it easily when you see Elza in Radat and be a few hours under the time limit. You've still got about half the game left if you get there as earily as possible.

Also, do side-quests last after you make it to Sajah on time. That means the McDohl quest, the Cooking quest, getting the non-Star squirrels, the rope-climbing game for special items (minus ONE perfect run for a Celadon Urn), fisihing, fully outfitting everyone, etc. Although Richmond doesn't take too much time if you just go down the list.... just make sure you do all possible investigations for Stars that can or will die.
---
Capcom has done nothing but dissapoint fans since the cancellation of MegaMan Legends 3.
Well, the fans are fighting back. See how on Capcom-Unity's Dev Room.
#5DarthMordechaiPosted 11/13/2011 11:42:14 PM
Thanks Sim for giving help to something the OP has already done. Did you even read the OP?
---
My friends call me Hadoken because I'm down-right fierce
LADIES WATCH OUT FOR YOUR MAN HE MAY BE TRYING TO EAT 50 MCNUGGETS AS YOU READ THIS
#6AsmodeanBTPosted 11/14/2011 3:06:49 AM
Of course he didn't, you know he prefers to talk about things he doesn't know anything about. If he read the OP he'd know what it was about and then he couldn't talk about it.
---
Prejudice is a great time saver. It enables you to form opinions without bothering to get facts.
#7PhoenixNinePosted 11/14/2011 8:58:37 AM
Huh, interesting. Can anyone confirm this?
---
~Victory needs no explanation; defeat allows none.~
#8AsmodeanBTPosted 11/14/2011 9:54:34 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#9AsmodeanBTPosted 11/14/2011 2:10:46 PM
Yeah, sorry, but this is simply false. This is why we don't listen to new users.

Simple save hacking of the time played reveals that any amount over 20:00:59 will result in the final event not happening. The time limit is 20 hours per usual.

There is no time limit on the Muse event though if it makes you feel better.
---
Prejudice is a great time saver. It enables you to form opinions without bothering to get facts.
#10Johnnyjueves(Topic Creator)Posted 11/14/2011 5:59:44 PM
AsmodeanBT posted...
Yeah, sorry, but this is simply false. This is why we don't listen to new users.

Arrogant much? Sorry but the reason I'm posting is because I'm surprised I got to see the end to Clive's Quest. I'm not some kid who wants to troll you, I'm a 39 year old man. I'm playing with original disc on PS3 without any saved data from original game although I do have a 108 Stars file which I can use on my PSOne or PS2.

I'm happy because I've now completely beaten the game.