The new TR

#1MantisoPosted 3/10/2013 6:08:34 PM
What do you old vets think? It's a good game but it's no longer the TR I love. Gone are the brain racking puzzles and tricky platforming sections in favour of simplified climbing, action set pieces and an abundance of cover based shooting. It's lost what made it a unique series and is now one of many similar third person shooters. The puzzle/exploration has been pushed to the sidelines.
---
I'm not gonna cry about my Pa. I'm gonna build an airport. Put my name on it - Worlds First Analrapist
PSN ID: SolidKev
#2Hustler NinePosted 3/16/2013 10:50:02 AM
Yes today gaming is a lot more casual because casuals are many and give you alot of sales if your product is easy enough to capture their attension.
---
If you call the Devil, Dante will come. If you call Dante, then...Devil May Cry...
#3SpiralDriftPosted 3/16/2013 11:50:56 PM
I still remember that what got me interested in the first Tomb Raider before I ever played it was when I watched a review on some game show on TV and they said it's not a game you could breeze through in a day or two. These days people just refer to FAQs for all the hard parts in games and it's not really the same, as if games today aren't easy enough, but the first Tomb Raider delivered on that promise and was genuinely rewarding to complete. Then on my first play-through where I tried to get all secrets I spent a solid month looking for one that I couldn't for the life of me find (if you've ever done the same without FAQs you know which one I'm talking about), but sweet gods what a moment of euphoria when I finally found it. And what a stark contrast to Tomb Raider 2013, which I literally breezed through in a day or two.

I can enjoy the new one for what it is, but it's Dragon's Lair vs Pac-Man really.
---
Do unto others what your parents did to you.
#4Shotgunnova(Moderator)Posted 3/17/2013 2:53:41 AM
First one's still my favorite. I heard the new one ain't too shabby, but when you strip out the old controls and puzzles, it just ain't the same.
---
Take me down from the ridge where the summer ends
And watch the city spread out just like a jet's flame
#5pure mind gamesPosted 3/17/2013 3:13:20 AM
First one's still my favorite. I heard the new one ain't too shabby, but when you strip out the old controls and puzzles, it just ain't the same.

It's not supposed to be the same though, it's not Tomb Raider 1 it's Tomb Raider 0, I'd be surprised if the next game wasn't more like the Originals in regards to Tombs and Puzzles, the controls I'm not gonna lie, I don't miss them.
---
Parasite Eve(Blind) Episode 06 - Day 5(pt2) - http://youtu.be/LBSRVjP0IVA
Parasite Eve(Blind) Episode 07 - Day 5(pt3) - http://youtu.be/aj5kyYAQVf8
#6Shotgunnova(Moderator)Posted 3/17/2013 3:37:02 AM
Players weaned on precision controls and puzzle-solving aren't so quick to forget 'em. I remember playing TR Legend, and being able to jump in one direction and grapple in the other -- swapping in dumbed-down controls wasn't exactly an upgrade to me. Like in that other topic, after awhile, the controls are internalized and most of those problems and rookie mistakes newcomers have disappear. I can live without the old-fashioned savepoint system, but even that has its charms, too -- probably more so for people who know where they're going, haha.

But even if the series evolves in a way that can't catch my interest, it's no lie that TR needed a new change, especially after several disastrous entries (hi AoD). Going the route of Uncharted and such could prove very fruitful.
---
Take me down from the ridge where the summer ends
And watch the city spread out just like a jet's flame
#7SpiralDriftPosted 3/17/2013 3:38:08 AM
I prefer Underworld's controls over TR2013's by far. I wish they had just continued where Underworld left off. I mean they finally recaptured the essence of the series but then wiped the slate clean again.
---
#8Flipsider99Posted 3/19/2013 4:06:54 PM
I think the original TR has the best controls, by far. They are the most precise for platforming, which is what Tomb Raider has always been about for me.

Shotgunnova posted...
I can live without the old-fashioned savepoint system, but even that has its charms, too -- probably more so for people who know where they're going, haha.

I still think the original TR has by far the best save system. I love the save crystals because there is strategy involved in deciding when to use them, and because there is real risk when traversing the environments. When you could save anywhere, the risk is gone and with it all of the tension and excitement of exploring an environment.
#9SpiralDriftPosted 3/19/2013 5:42:15 PM
I'll always prefer the original controls too and I hated the transition to analog. I think it was inevitable, though, so the best we could really hope for is for it to work well as an analog system. And I don't think they ever worked out all the kinks, but Underworld came about as close as it could have. I just don't get why they gave her even less moves in the new one. I mean story-wise it makes sense, but you don't remove features just to accommodate a story if you value gameplay at all.

Apparently there's a beta of Angel of Darkness floating around that had a control scheme more similar to the originals, so I suspect the switch to analog was a last minute decision, probably demanded by the publisher or something since developers never wait until the last minute to make those sorts of changes unless they're forced to. The canceled Core version of Anniversary also seemed to keep the grid system. It just goes to show how much the publishers have screwed around with this series since its glory days. Seems like there were a lot of things in Tomb Raider 2013 that were done by decree as well.
---
#10pure mind gamesPosted 3/19/2013 6:17:07 PM(edited)
I still think the original TR has by far the best save system. I love the save crystals because there is strategy involved in deciding when to use them, and because there is real risk when traversing the environments.

I prefer the save anywhere of TRII, I'm on the second door of Palace Midas and killing the gorilla, opening the door and dropping the pillar every time I fail is starting to piss me the f*** off

When you could save anywhere, the risk is gone and with it all of the tension and excitement of exploring an environment.

It also takes away some of the frustration when miss a jump and have to start 5 to 10 mins back
---
Parasite Eve(Blind) Episode 06 - Day 5(pt2) - http://youtu.be/LBSRVjP0IVA
Parasite Eve(Blind) Episode 07 - Day 5(pt3) - http://youtu.be/aj5kyYAQVf8