Re: Ultima Online on Android

#1KeryAdamsPosted 5/3/2012 11:20:44 AM
The last topic got archived but I figured I'd share this anyway.

It's unlikely that you're going to get a good enough connection and controls to make playing the game on your phone worthwhile, but there's a decent workaround already being used - Remote Desktop. Run the game on your home computer, and control that from your smartphone over the net. The latency's an issue so combat's pretty much out of the question, but I think it would be on a phone anyway. Still, you'd be able to keep an eye on your macroing and handle the social and possibly trade aspects of the game without much trouble. Something to look into if you're still pursuing that.
---
GT/PSN: Owngineer
Currently playing: Rocksmith, Castlevania SOTN, Metroid (NES)
#2Kenta_PKMNPosted 5/5/2012 6:43:49 AM
Phones now aday are more then capable of running uo, I remember in 97 when I ran it on a p3 and it ran perfect. Phones now coming out with quad core processors
---
3DS FC 4382-2009-9681
PSN:Kyros GT:Kyros 360
#3ZF_227_ZFPosted 5/6/2012 1:10:21 PM
They have ported the first 3 quake games, there is nothing that says it couldn't be done with UO.
#4KeryAdams(Topic Creator)Posted 5/7/2012 5:18:38 AM
I'm not doubting it can run. It came out in '97 with a required processor speed of somewhere between 133 and 200 MHz. The requirements have gone up since then but are still well within the reach of a Droid. The problem is controlling it. It's a very mouse-oriented game and requires a level of precision that you're not likely to get out of a 4" touchscreen. Remember how hard it was taking off a ring using a mouse on a 17" monitor? Imagine doing that with your finger, which is as big as your whole paperdoll. Zoom might help, I guess, when it comes to simple stuff like that, but how are you going to target players in PvP? You're going to need a full keyboard too, and ideally a macro utility like UOAssist or Razor. I'm sure it can be done, I just don't see the final product being much more useful than remote desktop due to the inherent limits of a phone as a game controller.
---
GT/PSN: Owngineer
Currently playing: Rocksmith, Castlevania SOTN, Metroid (NES)