Missed out in its time

#1usaamahlinkPosted 1/15/2013 8:46:42 PM
I missed out on this game years ago. Im a 93 kid, making me only 19 right now, but pretty young in the PSX days.. I played Crash Bandicoot and the like, and some RPGs like Vandal Hearts, Eternal Eyes (which my friend somehow had)
Ive grown up loving RPGs, for their music selection, which is unrivaled in the video game world, for their stories and characters and emotions, for their gameplay.. I love them.

I recently hooked up my PSX, and started looking into the library of PS classics I missed out on, this was one of the first I found (came across it through Motoi Sakuraba, he composed the Golden Sun soundtrack, and I absolutely loved it.) So i tried to find some copies of the original.. Everything is in the $100 price range.. which is insane. I would still pay to play this game. Im currently playing Chrono Trigger (original SNES version on my Wii) but the PS had a bigger selection of RPG games, and its pretty tough to get your hands on the good ones.. any suggestions at all about which games I should look into? Where I should try to find them? (Online retailers seem to be the best option)
I would like the games in good condition, but in this time that raises price by ALOT. Obviously though if I get my hands on a really good condition game, and keep it like that its resale value would probably be higher in a little while.. but Im a student and not really sure what I should pursue. I could emulate, but honestly Im not really into that, I prefer the TV and the real console and the retro feel of the discs and such..

*sigh* Really regretting not getting into RPGs sooner or at least looking out for good ones when I was younger, but nows now, and I would appreciate any suggestions or help at ALL! Im currently looking for Vandal Hearts (1 & 2) Final Fantasy VII and Valkyrie Profile.. Chrono Cross, Xenogears as well I guess. Probably Final Fantasy VIII and IX as well.. and any others Im missing out on?
---
Currently playing: Chrono Trigger, Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis
#2BeccaPosted 1/16/2013 1:57:54 AM
PSX is retro now? ...F*** I'm old. I was 17 when I first played this gem. I'm 29 now.

But yeah. You're not going to find a working copy of VP for very cheap at all. Sorry. The disc is very fragile also in that if it has scratches, it's probably going to not work right. And I'm not sharing mine. >_>

Do you have a PSP? Get the port if you have to.

Also, play Wild ARMs 2. :)
---
*GracefulNanami*
#3TonyaLunchTimePosted 1/17/2013 4:04:33 AM
Xenogears Chrono Trigger and Earthbound are my top 3 games ; )
---
sorry dad i guess we all just
fell for chung mania.
#4Hayabusa_sanPosted 1/17/2013 11:09:11 AM
I bought the PSP version and was happy with that. As a former student all I can say is that your best bet is to emulate it if you absolutely must play the US PS1 version. Most working copies will be outside of a feasible price range for a student who needs to pinch pennies to make it day to day.

That being said, if you have a PS3, PSP, or Vita, you can get most of those games on PSN for $5~$10. If you must have the original disc, some of them might run you pretty expensive, although I'm sure the PSN releases have made a few of those drop in value.

Long story short, VP: just emulate it. The rest of them: grab them on PSN (if able). I still have working PS1 copies of Chrono Cross, Xenogears, FFVII, and Crono Trigger, but I don't ever use them anymore since they're all on PSN.
---
PSN ID: gmsephiroth gamertag: gmxsephiroth
Currently playing: http://backloggery.com/gmsephiroth
#5usaamahlink(Topic Creator)Posted 1/19/2013 10:15:09 PM
Thanks guys :)
I only have a gba, Wii and PSX at this point. More than happy woth them, but i definately do want to play these games.. Thanks for all the insight :)
---
Currently playing: Chrono Trigger, Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis
#6GoukiAkujikiPosted 1/24/2013 2:02:11 AM
Getting actual physical copies of the games you listed will cost you hundreds of dollars.

Just come to my place and play mine lol. l have multiple copies of them, except Xenogears. Never played it...
#7verlanisPosted 1/27/2013 9:42:47 PM
Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth is the same game as this one. It is on the PSP and sells for about 13 bucks the last I looked.

The reason why this game is so expensive for the US is there was less than 100 thousand copies released, and only about 70 thousand of them still work. I think, don't know for sure, that this game might have the win for highest selling price for a collectors game.
---
Opinions from proof are not opinions as proof.
#8black_holesPosted 2/2/2013 9:43:19 AM
well, most of the best RPG title has been ported to PSN. so your best best is to get a PS3 when it on sale and buy the game from PSN.

if you are too poor...cough*.....i would say stick with PSP and .....borrow some ....Roms. how to do it is on your own.

recommend RPGs:

Valkyrie profile.
Xenogears.
Legend of Dragoon.
Final fantasy 7,8,9
Chrono Cross
Sukoden 2
Grandia
Tale of Destiny 2
Breath of fire 4
Parasite Eve
Dragon Quest 7
#9Aussie2BPosted 2/4/2013 12:28:37 AM
No game released in this millennium is in any way "retro" in my book. :P Heck, I had already graduated high school when Valkyrie Profile came out. "Retro" to me is more like NES games.

Anyway, give Star Ocean 2 a try. It's tri-Ace's other PS1 masterpiece.
---
"I am sexy minority. OH! NO! I wanna be a sexy terminator. Sexy will never die. AH~~~~~!"
#10PhoenixNinePosted 2/15/2013 7:19:28 AM
You made no mention of Suikoden I and II. Look into them.
---
~Victory needs no explanation; defeat allows none.~