So, I just unlocked Wrath for the first time....

#1Skye ReynoldsPosted 3/29/2012 12:57:32 AM
I first purchased this game when it was approximately a year old. That's still over a decade ago. I gotta say, it is such an odd and exciting experience to be playing as a new character after all of these years. I'd read for years that Wrath was featured in this game, but I never got around to looking up the code to unlock him. I'm not even entirely certain if I believed it myself. I mean, there was enough evidence to confirm that he did exist, but I still couldn't believe it when I managed to unlock him. It just seemed like one of those things which was too cool to be true.

Since the unfinished character lacked a costume of his own, the game defaulted him to having Sting's costume as it was No. 1 on the list. I let him wear this costume in his first match; a squash match against Stevie Ray in which Glacier interfered. After this, I changed his costumes to match those of Brian Adams. His second match was a tag match, alongside of his old tag partner Mortis, against Glacier and Disco Inferno. His third match was a no tag format match pitting Kronik (Wrath and Brian Adams) against the Faces of Fear (Meng and Barbarian). Unlike the comparatively easy matches which preceded it, this match lasted several minutes and could have gone either way. Yet, Kronik emerged victorious and Wrath remained undefeated on my cartridge.

There are so many interesting things about Wrath. There's no sound of impact on his finisher and, as a result, I've dubbed it the Silent Slam. And his taunt in which he pounds his right fist into the palm of his left hand, while officially removed from this game, still finds itself among the list of taunts in WWF No Mercy a few years later. And then there's the mystery as to why his character was omitted in the first place. Was it a matter of time constraints? Had he been released? Was he on punishment like Ric Flair was in this game or like Big Show was in No Mercy?

There's no way I'd be paying this much individual attention to him if he made it into the finished game, but since he's exclusively unlockable with the aid of a Game Shark, he's a treasure unto himself.
#2Skye Reynolds(Topic Creator)Posted 3/29/2012 12:59:13 AM
Also, since I've yet to play against him in a match, he's the one opponent I've never faced and the one opponent whom I've never defeated. When I do challenge him, I think it'll be with the Stinger and I'll have Wrath wearing the Sting costume he started with.

It's so great to find a gem like this after all of these years.