What was the deal with the power and flying armor. Seriously.

#1dragon0085Posted 10/14/2008 5:31:25 PM
As a kid, the personal armor exemplified 'coolness', yet we get to power armor, and what do we get? We look like some fat, grey snowman with one huge eye.

Why? It's too bad it wasn't sick looking.

---
Let's go
#2SpaceAgeSamuraiPosted 10/14/2008 9:11:03 PM
The problem is that everyone has a different idea of what constitutes "sick looking." I wasn't there, but I'm pretty sure the art team at Microprose probably thought their designs for the power armor made your soldiers look like the ultimate bad-asses. I'm not sure what they did to damage enough brain cells severely enough for them to think that, but the only alternative is that they were trying to make it look stupid, and no one would intentionally sabotage their source of income.
---
When all else fails, read the instructions.
#3dragon0085(Topic Creator)Posted 10/15/2008 11:42:53 AM
On that note, if you could rock your soldiers out in their regular clothes and it be pratical, i would, because the xcom clothes are pretty gangsta!
---
Let's go
#4Senor MisteriosoPosted 10/16/2008 12:20:04 PM
word
---
-- Dirty flesh will surrender to the metal futurity --
#5SpaceAgeSamuraiPosted 10/16/2008 9:00:30 PM
What word?

(Sorry! I think I've seen a few too many Jeff Dunham specials.)
---
#6Crimson GrogPosted 10/18/2008 6:33:22 AM
I wonder if the power armor from Fallout is based on Xcom's power armor, or if it's just coincidence.
---
more later i need to bake this potatoes -_SJ
#7SpaceAgeSamuraiPosted 10/18/2008 4:10:42 PM
Power armor has a fairly long history in science fiction. If anything, they both borrowed from Starship Troopers (the original Robert Heinlein story, not the movie) and other sources than from each other.
---
#8super_burb_zapPosted 10/20/2008 12:21:32 AM
The Eye thing? Maybe because it increases vision? The people are in the suits, not glued to it. Although I don't know WHY you need bigger vision on one eye than the other..
---
Omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg LAZAR!!!!
#9SpaceAgeSamuraiPosted 10/20/2008 3:13:41 PM
Presumably for the same reason a rifle scope has a single eyepiece and not binoculars. Most people have one eye that tends to be slightly dominant. That's the eye you use to line up your shot! (In my case, my right eye is the dominant one ... which is kind of sad, since my left eye has better vision.)
---
#10LobsterCactusPosted 10/24/2008 7:41:45 PM
I always thought the Power/Flying armor looked cool.
---
James Bond rescues the world from aerowafers