This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why the Xenogears character designs are better than the Xenosaga ones

#1W_Mark_Felt_SrPosted 2/11/2010 5:03:20 AM
They didn't need to resort to this to attract people:

http://www.famitsu.com/image/6484/Ioq84XyXuF8m6f31Jb8G77YiMayjxr6X.html

---
Not changing this sig until Square Enix reveals that codename FORTRESS is actually FINAL FANTASY XV.
You read it first on GameFAQs.
#2carfoGAMEFAQPosted 2/11/2010 5:37:06 AM
Nice cartoon ass! No but seriously I don't know why it's necessary. Also
what game is that?
---
GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site. ~CJayC, June 3rd 2003
#3Stunning SteveAustinPosted 2/16/2010 4:55:45 AM
1. That butt-shot isn't even from a Xenosaga game.

2. http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/7344/423141.jpg

---
"The algorithms I have been programmed with do not support the comprehension of illogical human thought." ~ KOS-MOS
#4fidormulaPosted 2/16/2010 6:43:02 AM
Simple, symbolic nudity is much less gratuitous than an android wearing a bikini.

Of course, that's just my opinion.

---
I'm a negative creep and I'm stoned.
#5Stunning SteveAustinPosted 2/16/2010 1:25:06 PM
If you can even call that a bikini - that's a bit of a stretch.
Either way, to point out all the so-called nudity in Xenosaga yet ignore all of the stuff Xenogears did (or just defend it as things like symbolism) is just being an apologetic fanboy. Let us not forget the Fei/Elly shower scene now, or the whole ending sequence. ...or were those "symbolic" too?

I do find it amusing how the screen shot that apparently spawned this topic isn't actually from a Xenosaga game though, but rather from one of the least serious and most shamelessly perverted games out there. That's because during the actual series you aren't going to see much beyond a simple bit of flesh, as her long hair covers any view of her behind 99% of the time anyway, and any ass-shots you do stumble across are purely incidental.

---
"The algorithms I have been programmed with do not support the comprehension of illogical human thought." ~ KOS-MOS
#6fidormulaPosted 2/16/2010 1:36:27 PM
Fan-boy yourself, methinks.

---
#7YurievPosted 2/16/2010 1:51:07 PM
I do find it amusing how the screen shot that apparently spawned this topic isn't actually from a Xenosaga game though, but rather from one of the least serious and most shamelessly perverted games out there.

Well, doesn't that in itself make the opinion valid? What characters did Xenogears have that could've so easily been whored out to one of "the least serious and most shamelessly perverted games out there"?

Not that this thread isn't silly though. Xenosaga did have some rather nice designs on other characters while a few in Xenogears - like Rico, Hammer and Chu-Chu - where borderline offensive.
#8Stunning SteveAustinPosted 2/16/2010 1:52:16 PM
Hardly, I like both actually. Although I do prefer Xenosaga, most of my problems with Xenogears are gameplay-related. Other then that, they're very similar games, spawned from the same mind, with similar themes/allusions, and I find this behavior of praising or criticizing one for reasons that could very easily apply to the other to be monumentally stupid.

---
#9fidormulaPosted 2/16/2010 1:52:54 PM
I just had an illogical thought that I felt the need to correct, then post.

The thought was that the nudity, sex, etc. in Xenogears have a purpose and that the similar elements in Xenosaga do not. But, of course, the elements in Xenosaga have a point: to attract a more mainstream male fanbase.

You could argue that the nudity in the opening scene of Xenogears also serves the purpose of attracting its male players, nevermind the extent to which this actual image was used in marketing the game, but at least there is a logical basis in the plot for why the character is nude. I guess, in your opinion, there is also a logical basis for androids being scantily-clad: future scientists like their creations to look like ho-bags. I can't argue with that kind of logic. If they're anything like modern Americans, they probably will.

---
#10Stunning SteveAustinPosted 2/16/2010 2:20:49 PM
Well, doesn't that in itself make the opinion valid? What characters did Xenogears have that could've so easily been whored out to one of "the least serious and most shamelessly perverted games out there"?

You're aware that even MOMO appears in the new game, right? ..and she's like one of the most innocent characters imaginable.
Certain characters in XS probably have more sex appeal -it would seem anyway- although that's not exactly a fair comparison seeing how the characters in Xenogears were 2d sprites most of the time. It's hard to find anything "sexual" in a small blob of pixels, no matter how they're depicted (certainly doesn't stop some people though...) so of course they're going to favor games that have more visually-realized characters. ..or perhaps the characters in Xenosaga are just... you know, more popular? it still doesn't change the fact that the overall character designs for the series are still pretty tame compared to a lot of other games out there.
I'm sure the next SRT game would jump at the chance to include Elly or Miang, complete with jiggling boobies, but you have to remember this is a Namco-licensed game.

---