This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

where to get more money early on?

#1star_guy_100Posted 10/2/2011 10:41:04 PM
i think im pretty early in the game, about 10 hours in, and im at nisan. ive been using one of the guides, its suggesting to buy different things and i cant because i just have no money. i have like 700 gold and dont even have enough to fully upgrade my gears. whats the best way to get a little more comfortable with my money situation.
#2kharan_zechtsPosted 10/2/2011 11:45:29 PM
Stop fully upgrading all of your gears. Only upgrade the characters you are going to use. Also unless you're having real trouble, considering skipping some upgrades. In particular you don't really need to have the best frame for high HP all of the time. Focus mostly on engines and armor.
---
http://www.anonelbe.net/hh3-rm2k
#3VilurumPosted 10/3/2011 6:55:01 AM
You can also avoid upgrading gears you're not going to be using much (or at all) in the upcoming sequences, but of course that requires foreknowledge of what the plot's gonna do, which you don't have on your first playthrough.

Later on, when you get more party members to choose from (spoiler: this is a JRPG and you get more party members to choose from), stick with upgrading the ones you actually plan to *use*.
---
- Vilurum Xaren, leader of the happy turtles, and knowitall.
... And if you can't spell "Vilurum", call me "Vil". :)
#4jascla92Posted 10/3/2011 4:11:06 PM
I'm at Nisan too, and if you can go outside the end of the tunnel from the mainland has all the enemies you'd fight in the desert so you can grind for cash there.
---
A fight is not won by one punch or kick. Either learn to endure or hire a bodyguard. Bruce Lee
#5jascla92Posted 10/3/2011 4:23:17 PM
And just keep one guy in their gear (I put Bart there) and use the other to beat up most enemies. You can learn deathblows by following the instructions in the FAQs and deathblowing allows your characters to smash most Gears with their bare hands.

There is one enemy that you might need Bart to smash for you, but most of the time he just charges and distracts enemy gears from crushing your guys on foot.

Citan is awesome.
---
A fight is not won by one punch or kick. Either learn to endure or hire a bodyguard. Bruce Lee
#6Duke DarkwoodPosted 10/5/2011 3:04:08 PM
And one more thing: You don't NEED to get those items right now.

Get on with the game. Wait until you have a method of sea travel. That is the next time you will be able to reach Nisan, and it is still BEFORE the inventory changes. And you can make money a lot faster, then - indeed, there is one enemy which can, occasionally, DROP MagneticCoats, saving you over 2000 G for each one that drops. (The fight that drops it also gives 1k each fight.) Also, between now and getting sea travel, you will get a free Holy Pendant, saving even more cash.

Oh, and for reference: That specific enemy is in one of the "small deserts" on the Kislev/Aveh border, which is inaccessible UNTIL you have sea travel. Other profitable monsters are in sea encounters in the area where you GET sea travel.

Do remember that the only beach allowing you back onto Ignas continent when you have sea travel is the one near Dazil; it means sailing around the continent to get there.

WARNING: If you go much farther than THAT point in the story, then the NEXT time you can get back to Nisan, the shop changes.
---
"As the good archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself." -Danilo Thann
#7TopperCopPosted 10/5/2011 11:25:13 PM
Actually, high Accuracy and Evasion would come in very handy pretty soon. If you've got the two Gold Nuggets (one in the Waterway Bart used to sneak in the castle, the other in Old Man Bal's cave), you can sell them to buy one copy of Magnetic Coat. A second copy can be found in the very next dungeon, and you still have the Old Circuit for the third gear slot to tide you over until further opportunities.

If you're thinking of grinding for EtherDoubler, might as well wait until someone who can make use of it joining the party before consider the purchase.
#8star_guy_100(Topic Creator)Posted 10/6/2011 6:20:53 PM
ok thanks, it was the ether doubler i needed, i was able to go back to the town and get a few just a little bit ago, it still took a lot of grinding with those mechs on the kislev border though.

unrelated but im trying to get everyone to learn all their deathblows. i get in general how it works but theres 2 im trying to get fei and citan to learn, and they are at like 94 and 98 experience, and they just seem to be stuck there. i keep doing the moves i found in the faq about deathblows, over and over but they wont move from 94 and 98. is there some other factor i dont know about in trying to get them to learn them?
#9VilurumPosted 10/6/2011 8:03:20 PM(edited)
Which two specific deathblows are they?

If I had to guess, I'd imagine they're TSTX and STTX because those two, for some stupid reason, can't be learned by punching in their respective combos the way the other deathblows can. If that's the case, punch in XTTS until you learn them.

Otherwise, in case they're something else, I repeat my first question: which two specific deathblows are they? Deathblows are listed in the following order:

TX
TTX
SX
TTTX
TSX
STX
XX
(The ones below here only show up after a certain plot point.)
TTTTX
TTSX
TSTX
STTX (Fei, Elly, Citan, Bart only)
SSX (Fei only)
XTX (Fei only)
---
- Vilurum Xaren, leader of the happy turtles, and knowitall.
... And if you can't spell "Vilurum", call me "Vil". :)
#10jascla92Posted 10/7/2011 1:52:21 PM
http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps/199365-xenogears/faqs/46377
---