This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

This game ruined other PS1 JRPGs for me

#1ankco4Posted 1/6/2012 8:55:49 AM
After beating this game several months ago, I just can't get into any other PS1 rpgs. I've tried FF7, Breath of Fire 4, Chrono Trigger, Vagrant Story, but there just not that great as Xenogears. I don't mean to sound like a biased fanboy, but I'd like to find a game similar. I did beat FF9 though, which is probably the only FF game I enjoyed throughout. Are there any other PS1 games on the PS Store similar to Xenogears?
---
Good Morning: http://gifsoup.com/view4/1152463/birdman-o.gif
#2StL_8355Posted 1/6/2012 9:44:11 AM
Chrono Cross?
---
PSN: BiGxB_8355
"You can't spell ignorance without IGN"
#3Nova666Posted 1/6/2012 9:46:30 AM
You are clearly looking for the Suikoden series.
---
Nova666 = 50% win, 50% awesome, 50% OMG
That is 150% right thar.
~ Action
#4Sol4688Posted 1/6/2012 2:41:31 PM
Wild Arms 2 will get you.
---
PSN: CrimeRoyal
#5fidormulaPosted 1/6/2012 6:43:53 PM
Nova666 posted...
You are clearly looking for the Suikoden series.

Suikoden 2, specifically.

Valkyrie Profile, FFT and Legend of Mana got dat story, and also very good battle systems.
---
We have an embarrassment of riches. Is there any way to make sense of it all?
#6manmousePosted 1/6/2012 7:02:59 PM
if you're down for PS2 games, you NEED to play Xenosaga.

but if not, try FFtactics. storyline is more complex on both a personal and political level than other FFs, and easily the best gameplay of its generation in my opinion.

Chrono Cross is good, but i felt the story got overhyped. lots of little technical details and it's pretty complex, but it felt to me like the details were piled on without much heart, unlike the Xenogears plot which had just as many complex details, but more emotion behind it (the backstory of Grahf, Krelian, Abel and Elly, etc) and it made CC's feel just too scientific. i like Chrono Trigger a lot better. that said, i still dedicated 60-70 hours to my playthrough of CC and enjoyed it thoroughly.

Wild ARMS 2 is really good. the Wild ARMS series always does a good job of combining zelda-style adventure/puzzle elements with traditional JRPG gameplay. and the feel of the setting and characters is great. another special thing about the WA series is that they have a lot of "heart". the first game moreso. WA1 is definitely the most heartfelt RPG i've ever played, but the plot is pretty simple. not just some FF ripoff or anything, it's unique enough that you don't expect certain plot twists, but obviously not on the complexity level of XG. but WA2 steps it up with the plot, still not as much as XG but you can't always look for that in games because that's not really normal for games.

also, watch the series Evangelion. and the movie (End of Evangelion) too, you can find it easily enough on the internets. it explores many of the same themes as Xenogears, has a pretty similar vibe (although Eva's more depressing, which is saying a lot considering XG is so depressing) and shares the same influences (one of which being Childhood's End, which leads me to my next paragraph...)

if you're looking for a plot as complex and fulfilling as XG, the only other games that will bring you a similar feel (as far as the complexity of the plot) will be Xenosaga. so otherwise if you want stories like it, scifi books are your only hope. namely Arthur C Clarke. his book Childhood's End is a HUGE influence of XG. read it and you'll see just how much of an influence it had, and it's only around 200pgs and you can find it on amazon for a couple dollars so there's no excuse not to read it ;). apparently Krellian was supposed to be named Karellan originally as an homage. also his book 2001 A Space Odyssey (the book completes the plot, instead of how in the movie it cuts off into a more expressionistic telling of the ending, which is beautiful but doesn't really communicate the plot as well as the book, which REALLY fleshes out the ending and the meaning is made very very clear) is a big influence, moreso on Xenosaga, but overall it influenced both.
#7Nova666Posted 1/7/2012 12:01:59 AM
Suikoden 2, specifically.

I would still recommend the first game first, is not a bad game at all. That makes S2 even better since you see a lot of characters form the first come back.
---
Nova666 = 50% win, 50% awesome, 50% OMG
That is 150% right thar.
~ Action
#8BrutiePosted 1/7/2012 8:37:45 AM
Imagine if Xenogears was exactly as it is except that after you fight the Sufal boss, it just changes to a blank screen with Fei's monologue saying: "Is man and time the same thing or does man simply become and misunderstand time? Why do I even paint?" and then multiple characters from the game appear and tell Fei "You can do it!". Then, the screen switches to a picture of this thing:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Physical_Impossibility_of_Death_in_the_Mind_of_Someone_Living
Then Citan shoots himself in the head and the credits roll while you're treated to some black and white photos of people buying fruits from a green grocer, and the ending screen says "F*** you."

That's what episodes 25 and 26 of Evangelion and the second half of End of Evangelion are like (not exactly, I just used similar examples of my own so I don't spoil the actual genius of the Evangelion endings for anyone).

For anything one can say about the meaning of any part of the ending(s), a claim can be made to another completely incompatible meaning with just as much evidence in the show, if not more.

There is something about contradictions and utter meaninglessness that when put in art hijacks many people's brains into thinking: "I don't understand anything about this, therefore it must be something really profound and hard to understand, therefore I love it for how great it is." This has been spreading for ages from art into philosophy, literary criticism, psychology and even popular entertainment. I'm not saying Evangelion will hijack your brain. I'm saying it will insult your intelligence. You'll wish you had spent a few hours doing ANYTHING else.

But I digress. You might also like Tactics Ogre: the Knight of Lodis.
---
D-boy (SaGa Frontier review): "If your shallow, and look only for storyline, keep moving, idiot;"
#9fidormulaPosted 1/7/2012 8:58:15 AM
I would recommend Serial Experiments Lain over Evangelion, any day. It's shorter and far more relevant.
---
We have an embarrassment of riches. Is there any way to make sense of it all?
#10manmousePosted 1/7/2012 2:39:42 PM
fidormula posted...
I would recommend Serial Experiments Lain over Evangelion, any day. It's shorter and far more relevant.

yeah Lain's incredible, and definitely really relevant to our point in history even though it was made in what, the late 90s? but i don't really see the comparison a lot of people make with it and Eva besides the fact that they're both dark and avant garde. and for a fan of XG, i'd say Eva would be more relevant to the themes of XG. but still one shouldn't deprive themselves of watching Lain, that's for sure.

Brutie posted...
Imagine if Xenogears was exactly as it is except that after you fight the Sufal boss, it just changes to a blank screen with Fei's monologue saying: "Is man and time the same thing or does man simply become and misunderstand time? Why do I even paint?" and then multiple characters from the game appear and tell Fei "You can do it!". Then, the screen switches to a picture of this thing:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Physical_Impossibility_of_Death_in_the_Mind_of_Someone_Living
Then Citan shoots himself in the head and the credits roll while you're treated to some black and white photos of people buying fruits from a green grocer, and the ending screen says "F*** you."

That's what episodes 25 and 26 of Evangelion and the second half of End of Evangelion are like (not exactly, I just used similar examples of my own so I don't spoil the actual genius of the Evangelion endings for anyone).

For anything one can say about the meaning of any part of the ending(s), a claim can be made to another completely incompatible meaning with just as much evidence in the show, if not more.

There is something about contradictions and utter meaninglessness that when put in art hijacks many people's brains into thinking: "I don't understand anything about this, therefore it must be something really profound and hard to understand, therefore I love it for how great it is." This has been spreading for ages from art into philosophy, literary criticism, psychology and even popular entertainment. I'm not saying Evangelion will hijack your brain. I'm saying it will insult your intelligence. You'll wish you had spent a few hours doing ANYTHING else.

But I digress. You might also like Tactics Ogre: the Knight of Lodis.

to be fair i feel like the end of End of Evangelion (hahaha i wanted to phrase it like that) is much more clear about its plot. like it gets super abstract but i'd say it's like the end of the series (ep25 and 26) would be most comparable to the 2001 A Space Odyssey movie, where it goes all out abstract and weird with no explanation whatsoever, but the ending of End of Eva is more like the ending of the Space Odyssey book, where it still gets weird and crazy and has really really intense abstract strangeness, but overall by the very end, at least 80% of what happened is explained somehow (in the case of end of eva, most of the explanation comes from the dialogue during the dreamlike sequences). and the parts that are left unexplained are the more metaphorical parts that don't really affect the core plotline so much as they illustrate the feelings (like the scene with the spilled coffee and strangling)