This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Fei/Elly are the best couple I've come across in gaming <just ended game!>

#1Penguin_ZombiePosted 9/24/2012 1:12:26 PM
I havent really played enough games to say for sure, but they are definitely one of the best I've come across. The thread's gonna contain spoilers

First of all, this is one of the best games I've ever played in my life; right up there with MGS, Suikoden 2 and all the other gems of old. And although the characters are probably not as well done as in other RPGs IMO, there is one character that definitely stands out, probably the most well-developed character in the game: Elly.

She was so humanly realistic and well-planned out that I couldnt help but feel some sort of attachment with her, and its very RARE when that happens to me in a game, I cant remember the last time it happened to be honest, and never with a female character.

Fei, although of much more linear personality (disregarding Id), was well-complemented by Elly. Infact I was disappointed when all the Anti-Type, Great Mother plot-devices came to be interconnected with Elly, because I really liked Fei/Elly for what they were: enemy soldiers that came to grow affectionate of each other, with Elly ultimately deserting her country to fight alongside Fei, and all their little scenes together, with Elly being softspoken, a tad shy, a bit serious, but clearly affectionate for Fei. It was just perfect. So I couldnt help but be disappointed when what her character grew overly complicated, and it turns out that Fei and Elly were ultimately destined to be together not through natural human kinetics, but through years of repetitive reincarnation.

It was particularly refreshing to see that it was Elly that came to Fei's aid when Krelian captured him, and it was Elly that offered herself in return for Fei's release, it would never have been the same if it was the cliche guy saving girl. Elly taking the beating of her life just to save Fei was just ....beautiful.

Anyway I digress. Rant over!
---
"A girl is single until she has a wedding ring on her hand." des223
#2JolosGhostPosted 9/24/2012 3:14:13 PM
SPOILERS

I don't think the idea of them finding one another implies that the connection you saw was a 'false' one. They are so devoted to one another and are typically exactly the same in every incarnation we see. What differentiates the various versions of Fei are his circumstances. Kim, Lacan and Fei lived very different lives, but the same personality is what shared those experiences. Ultimately, what we got to see was how Fei would co-exist with society in different social circumstances, and I think the game is richer for it.

I've hated this game for a decade, but what I got to see on my return to Zeboim and how everything is interconnected is what completely flipped my opinion.

Emeralda is the glue to this game and now I've devoted all this time to getting her precious points of Hit% and Evade%.
#3carfoGAMEFAQPosted 9/24/2012 4:11:06 PM
It's definitely worth another playthrough, especially to grasp the story. It can be very confusing, especially with some poor translations, but thankfully there's a whole book the creator's made that explains the huge backstory the game doesn't even touch on and more insight to the characters in this episode. It's called Perfect Works, and you can find it in image form translated into English here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/29956195@N08/sets/72157616593453778
#4dolphinmagePosted 9/24/2012 4:51:47 PM
I've played a lot of games but Fei and Elly are still one of my favorite couples. I love watching their relationship develop throughout the game, not to mention learning how long lasting their love truly is.

Actually I love romance in my videogames, but so few bother to develop it. I think it helps that despite the fact that Fei is the player character, the game shows just as much story from Elly's perspective. I think that is needed to really develop a good romance. Otherwise, it just looks like one character has a crush on another and they may or may not end up together, but we don't really know much about their feelings.

Another of my favorite couples is from Odin Sphere. That game also spends a lot of time in different character's perspectives.
#5LousStevensPosted 9/25/2012 11:46:31 AM
If you enjoyed the chemistry between Fei and Elly and you are looking for a similar type of game, I would recommend Super Mario Brothers.

Your welcome.
---
Death is never the answer. Life is. - Galioth
#6sHARN345Posted 9/26/2012 1:27:19 PM
I found the relationship between the two very unrealistic and forced at times. Not to mention pretentious as it came off like it's supposed to be this 'best love in the universe".

Which I seriously find suspect because I've said in the past over and over that Elly is seriously strangely, if not badly written in Disk 2. The sheer shift in her character after Disk 1 came the heck out of NOWHERE and the "relationship" with Fei came off as... not really real.

Or lemmie put it another way, they came off like they were literally MADE to be together, and they were just going through the motions of something they have no control over. It's actually quite tragic really.
---
Platinum Version FC: 0474-4024-6419
"If He Wasn't Such A Likable old Soul, I'd Have to Re-educate The Tar Out Of Him."
#7Sol4688Posted 9/26/2012 4:55:50 PM
Elly? Humanly realistic?? The girl in her late-teens who's a commander for her elite nation's military squad and one of their foremost pilots??

By what standards is this realistic?
---
PSN: CrimeRoyal
#8fidormulaPosted 9/26/2012 5:20:09 PM
Sol4688 posted...
Elly? Humanly realistic?? The girl in her late-teens who's a commander for her elite nation's military squad and one of their foremost pilots??

Welcome to the world of JRPGs. Younger people have saved the world in lesser games.

But yeah...

Just pretend that they characters are five to twenty years older.
---
If you fully love and believe in Chu Chu and are 100% proud of it, please put this as your signature. I'm proud to believe in Chu Chu as my Savior.
#9SolKarellenPosted 9/27/2012 12:15:29 AM
Sol4688 posted...

Extremely powerful Ether-user; daughter of a high-ranking Solaris officer.

Nepotism.
---
"There'd come a time when life'd pull us apart. S'not a reason to avoid people."
#10SpherixPosted 9/27/2012 8:51:12 AM
Penguin_Zombie posted...
So I couldnt help but be disappointed when what her character grew overly complicated, and it turns out that Fei and Elly were ultimately destined to be together not through natural human kinetics, but through years of repetitive reincarnation.

Who or what determines "destiny"? Well, in Xenogears, Fei and Elly do, basically -- through their power as the contact and the anti-type, through their connection to the Zohar, they're able to shape reality, by selecting the future out of all possible futures. That's how they were able to store their memories within their DNA, something that's normally impossible: by controlling the otherwise "random" process of genetic mutation, they were able to ensure that their memories would be stored in the "junk DNA" of their decendants, and that they would also have the capability to retrieve them.

And think of it this way: the fact that they found each other, and fell in love, in so many lives, despite differing circumstances is a testament to the strength of their love.

Though none of that really explains away Elly essentially being created to be Abel's companion. It mirrors Eve's creation in the bible, but doesn't make it any less demeaning to Elly, women in general, or the concept of love.

While there are flaws in the whole presentation, as several people have mentioned in this thread, I think it's notable that their relationship develops visibly over the course of the game, and is pretty rough and complicated, rather than just being dumped on the player suddenly. It's certainly not the best romance story in all of fiction, but it might be one of the better ones in a video game.

Final Fantasy VIII was much hyped for its romance element, but it still feels like "suddenly, we're in love" near the end, without proper build-up or development. I can't really think of any other real video game romances off the top of my head that don't just boil down to "Well, of course the guy gets a girlfriend. This is a male fantasy, isn't it?" It is fully possible that I am missing something, due to tiredness or lack of knowledge, however.