Name That Tune! 2012, April: Results

#41Dark RPG Wizard 06Posted 4/15/2012 10:32:33 PM(edited)
I intend to put last month's in here as well, as I kind of dropped the ball there. But for April:

1) Goldeneye - Antenna Cradle Finale vs. Trevelyan
2) Link's Awakening - Boss Theme
3) Guitar Hero 3 - Devil Went Down to Georgia
4) Super Metroid - Mother Brain theme
5) God of War - Minotaur Boss Battle
6) Shadow of the Colossus - Demise of the Ritual ~Battle with the Colossus~
7) Ninja Gaiden - Versus "The Masked Devil"
8) Pokemon Stadum - Prime Cup
9) Okami - Reset
10) Skies of Arcadia - Battle
11) Paper Mario - Tubba's Heart
12) Persona 3 - Battle for Everyone's Souls
13) Golden Sun - Battle! Isaac
14) Devil May Cry 3 - Vergil Battle 2
15) Star Ocean 2 - Integral Body and Imperfect Soul
16) Final Fantasy 11 - Final Boss Theme
17) Double Dragon Advance - Shadow Boss Theme
18) Romancing Saga - Conflict
19) ?
20) Super C - Mini Boss Babalu (?)
21) Homeworld - Swarm Battle Theme
22) Super Robot Wars Original Generation (GBA) - Trombe

And now I can't write any other songs, due to Trombe overwriting everything.

(Just kidding)

23) Robotrek - Boss Battle Theme
24) ?
25) Mario Paint - Gnat Attack

Edit: Thanks VinnieMac!
---
*Casts Doom on everything* You all must now feel the pain that I have felt...DIE!
#42VinnieMacPosted 4/15/2012 10:18:33 PM
Pokemon Stadium is "Prime Cup", and Star Ocean 2 is "Integral Body and Imperfect Soul".
---
Conan O'Brien: So if you were in a fistfight with Clint Eastwood and Sean Connery, what would be your moves?
Harrison Ford: Id go for their balls.
#43ff6manPosted 4/15/2012 10:59:18 PM
Two more months folks! This is a close one. :3
---
Supernicedog wrecked me in the guru!
#44DetroitDJ(Topic Creator)(Moderator)Posted 4/16/2012 5:33:53 AM
Again, bold to stand out: Haunter12O has correctly guessed #19 was being from Front Mission 3.
---
GamingSymmetry.com: a multi-author critical gaming site
Latest Series: The Challenges of Game Reviewing
#45Dark RPG Wizard 06Posted 4/16/2012 7:32:00 AM
ff6man posted...
Two more months folks! This is a close one. :3

You would say that, Mr. First Place.

I'm just trying to keep in the 4th/5th slot, as the 6 month reward'll be the same. No chance of getting into the top 3 though. In a rather dire fight with xp1337 and SuperAngelo128 though.
---
*Casts Doom on everything* You all must now feel the pain that I have felt...DIE!
#46TerotrousPosted 4/16/2012 9:13:55 AM(edited)
I kind of have to lodge a formal complaint about this contest, particularly for this month's entry, because it's really bothering me. Simply put, the songs being chosen make no sense from a musical standpoint and it seriously hampers the enjoyment and accessibility of the contests.

Take a look at this month. In a contest about battle themes, we have:

- No battle or boss themes from any major FF
- Dragon Quest is completely absent
- Falcom is absent too, and they're renowned for their battle themes, to the point of being a no-brainer for one of the obscure tracks
- Even amongst the games that do make sense to be here, it's usually not the track you'd expect that is chosen. Pokemon Stadium is a good example of this. Pokemon has many iconic battle themes. This is not one of them.

It's clear that the songs are chosen based on "difficulty of correctly guessing the song" rather than "quality of the song", and as such most of the time the songs are unmemorable tracks that only play once and no one particularly cares to remember. The thing is, there are more than enough excellent obscure tracks that doing this is not necessary, and the fact that the contests tend to avoid picking the iconic tracks from popular games also deters casual fans from entering because they probably can't identify anything.

This is really how the contests ought to work if you want people to enter them:

- The first 5 songs should be total freebies, ideally the easiest songs you can come up with. If possible, these should be recurring themes that play in many different games, or songs that are so popular that even if you've been living under a rock you've heard them a thousand times.

- The next 10 songs should all be ones that are relatively well-known. Even then, no one plays every major game so most people won't get them all.

- The last 10 songs should be excellent tracks, but from games that are fairly obscure, increasing in obscurity until the final song is something that virtually no one will have played, but there's something so unique or spectacular about it that everyone OUGHT to hear it.

Here's a few examples of what should have been chosen as obscure entries for a contest on battle music:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwtASYeer8Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJMmnPQK1Ic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVNH7wj8nyU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yo2XxqPlcJA (this should be song #25)

You'll note that these are actually even more obscure than anything in the contest, the difference is that these are the kinds of tracks that people who know a lot about game music actually bring up when discussing battle themes. Mario Paint, Front Mission 3, Super C, etc. are not games that are in this category.

I'm sure someone will respond and say something like "Aha! You're just bitter that the obscure tracks that were chosen weren't from games you happen to have played!", but that's the thing - I haven't played most of the games above. I just know those tracks because they're good enough that people actually talk about them. In that sense, you're rewarded for actually having an interest in game music rather than just happening to be lucky enough to have played whatever game is chosen in the last 2 months to remember whatever generic song was chosen.

Granted, someone has been doing this right with their suggestions. Kudos to whomever chose Cool Spot, Double Dragon Advance, Riviera, etc. Those are legitimately good choices for good obscure tracks.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "GC Sonic Adventure 2 Battle"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
#47AdvokaiserPosted 4/16/2012 10:18:34 AM
Well, I think I'll have to agree with Terotrous on this regard.
---
SuperNiceDog waggs his tail better than your regular, standard dog.
#48DetroitDJ(Topic Creator)(Moderator)Posted 4/16/2012 10:31:16 AM
We're trying to make them easier. They got easier month-over-month until last month -- that theme was just difficult to pull off without being incredibly RPG-heavy. That said, things like "This series deserves to be included" are in the eye of the beholder, so that'll never be satisfying to everyone.

I'm working to make next month's easier.
---
GamingSymmetry.com: a multi-author critical gaming site
Latest Series: The Challenges of Game Reviewing
#49TerotrousPosted 4/16/2012 10:53:28 AM(edited)
I think it could be improved a lot if you just didn't particularly go out of your way to be nasty. Like I suspect a lot of the time people are choosing certain games because they feel they have good music, but then in order to make it adequately hard they deliberately pick a song other than one of the ones the game is known for.

The Character themes one is a good example. The most well-known character theme in all of gaming is probably Aeris's theme. So you know you have to pick FF7, but rather than Aeris's theme you use Vincent's, which rarely plays and most people don't remember it. If it's going to be one of the first songs in the contest, going with the super obvious entry is perfectly fine and probably actually desirable, because people will expect to hear that there and if they don't it hurts their confidence in answering the rest.

That said, things like "This series deserves to be included" are in the eye of the beholder, so that'll never be satisfying to everyone.

In this case I don't think it is. I can't see how you could even begin to justify leaving FF out when it comes to battle themes as it's EASILY the most well-known franchise for battle music. If we did a "top 25 most recognizable battle / boss themes", at least 15 would probably be from FF games.

Sure, when it comes to obscure choices, you have loads more to choose from, but even then I feel you should try to make sure there's something notable about the songs that you pick as opposed to them just being hard to guess. For example, Vay is like the only example of an RPG that has a dance-oriented battle theme, so it really stands out even though most people haven't played that game.

that theme was just difficult to pull off without being incredibly RPG-heavy

I would also argue that there's nothing wrong with it being RPG-heavy, since most of the battle themes people recognize are from RPGs. Even a person who does not play RPGs likely has a better chance of identifying FF1's battle theme than one of the final boss themes from the original Ninja Gaiden.

Granted, there are some games in other genres with memorable enough boss themes to be used. I feel that the Double Dragon 2 / Advance song is a good choice, because it's recognized as being quite a good song and people remember it. If you wanted some more non-RPG songs, here's some other things I believe people could feasibly get:

King Dedede's recurring battle theme from the Kirby series
Super Mario Galaxy's battle against Bowser
Megaman X5's X vs Zero or any other prominent boss theme from a Megaman game
Sonic 3's final boss theme
Ikaruga's Boss theme

One thing to note is that many of these songs are either renowned for being good or they appear in multiple games, which goes a long way towards making things possible to guess.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "GC Sonic Adventure 2 Battle"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
#50DetroitDJ(Topic Creator)(Moderator)Posted 4/16/2012 10:48:05 AM
Like I said, we're doing our best to make it easier. Your advice is noted, thank you.
---
www.DDJGames.com - Game reviews, articles, guides, lists, and more.
Latest: Review: Angry Birds Space