Name That Tune! 2012, May: Results

#11DetroitDJ(Topic Creator)(Moderator)Posted 5/12/2012 8:28:10 PM

Also, I knew that Gears 2 is a very casual-oriented game from a genra that isn't respected very much on GameFAQ's, but only six percent of entrants got it? Wow.

That one definitely surprised me, too. It was actually initially suggested as a hard entry, but I thought, 'Gears 2? That's popular! Everyone will get it!' so I compromised and stuck it in the middle. Wow, was I wrong.

I agree with Kenri that this was by far the easiest contest because you could effectively brute force it with an ease not present in the previous contests.

Do you mean the lyrics ones or was there more than that?
---
GamingSymmetry.com: a multi-author critical gaming site
Latest Series: The Challenges of Game Reviewing
#12Ytterbium_70Posted 5/12/2012 8:30:41 PM
Kenri posted...
And when each game generally only has one game over track, it stops being "Name That Tune" and becomes "Try Everything and Hope Youtube Cooperates".

...yep; as well as I did, this is exactly what I felt the contest was despite predicting it would happen.

The rest I didn't know, I randomly guessed, although I swear I could've put L4D2 in #14 at least. Not Thief. *facepalm*
#13MrL1193Posted 5/12/2012 8:31:02 PM(edited)
Kenri posted...
Still appreciate you running these, but despite doing pretty well this month, I think picking Game Over music as the theme was a really, really... really bad idea.

Because it whole idea of naming a song based on 12 seconds of it kinda falls apart when 12 seconds is such a significant portion (or even the entirety) of the song. And when each game generally only has one game over track, it stops being "Name That Tune" and becomes "Try Everything and Hope Youtube Cooperates".

^I have to agree with this; I got most of my answers from random searching. I even could have made the Top 20 if I'd thought to search for Tales of Graces or Lufia while I was running through RPG's. (My final score was 15 points on 13 correct answers; the only one I got that was worth more than 1 point was Rayman, which I actually did know.)
---
Knowledge is power, and ignorance is bliss.
Unfortunately, most people won't settle for one; they usually end up with neither.
#14xp1337Posted 5/12/2012 8:35:47 PM
Do you mean the lyrics ones or was there more than that?

No, I mean with a theme that is centered around a type of song that a game will typically only have one of, you can do as Kenri was suggesting and search for "[Insert Game] Game Over Theme" or something similar to quickly burn through potential games.

You can't really do that as effectively on something like, to use prior examples, Character or Battle Themes because games generally have more than one of them. I mean, you still can, but it's not as quick or easy.

I actually wasn't thinking of lyrics at all, but I suppose those would be easy to run a search on by using the lyrics in the clip as well.
---
xp1337: Don't you wish there was a spell-checker that told you when you a word out?
GotD (219/384) Melee v FFX
#15Team Rocket Elite(Moderator)Posted 5/12/2012 8:46:06 PM
That one definitely surprised me, too. It was actually initially suggested as a hard entry, but I thought, 'Gears 2? That's popular! Everyone will get it!' so I compromised and stuck it in the middle. Wow, was I wrong.

Very Hard, actually. =D
---
We'll show her the power of a dream.
#16ff6manPosted 5/12/2012 8:56:22 PM
Wowzers, good job everyone. Game overs really aren't my forte and Youtube pretty much couldn't give me results for anything even slightly obscure so I couldn't even search well. :-( One month left!
---
Supernicedog wrecked me in the guru!
#17VinnieMacPosted 5/12/2012 9:19:49 PM(edited)
Looks like it'll be a close race to the finish, ff6man and Ed Bellis. The last month and the unguessed songs will decide our fates. How invigorating!
---
Conan O'Brien: So if you were in a fistfight with Clint Eastwood and Sean Connery, what would be your moves?
Harrison Ford: Id go for their balls.
#18Ytterbium_70Posted 5/12/2012 9:18:25 PM
Also, why in the world is Slalom so high, and how is it only worth 3 points?

(It's Mario Strikers Charged all over again!)
#19IceQueenZer0Posted 5/12/2012 10:28:21 PM
It's weird that I knew Batman off the bat because, I once did a freestyle rap song to it a few years back.
---
http://www.youtube.com/PurrfectTrio. The next generation hath come. 3rd gen FAQer, go me.
PSN= AzulFria. Ice Queen Alpha coming Jul/Aug '12... yes it's a girl.
#20billybobfredPosted 5/12/2012 10:39:25 PM
Worth noting: TWEWY has no "game over theme"; the song used in the contest is called "Game Over".
---
''I thought this game was going to be jesus, and you can't even spawn ramen noodles that don't look like spaghetti. 0/10.'' -MangaJugs on Scribblenauts