November 2012: Video Game Cover Mash-Up

#1DetroitDJ(Moderator)Posted 10/31/2012 9:33:38 PM
This month's contest is for Video Game Cover Mash-Ups. The idea is this: create the cover for a new video game using nothing but the covers for existing video games. Every single element of your submission must in some way be cut out of an existing cover. You can combine as many different covers as you want, and you can transform them in basically any structural way you want: you can crop out certain portions, stretch them, shrink them, skew them, flip them, rotate them, mirror them, recolor them (within reason), etc. Basically, if you can do it in Paint, you can do it in this contest.

What you cannot do, though, is add any new content to the covers. You can't add your own new text, draw your own new lines, or add anything that wasn't originally cropped out of an existing video game cover. Basically, every area of your cover should be able to be traced back to an actual existing video game cover.

So, you could, for example, crop together the covers of a Kingdom Hearts game and a Star Wars game to introduce us to the new Disney-developed crossover game. Or, you could combine the cover of a Harvest Moon game with the cover of Borderlands 2 to show a game about a different kind of "harvest". Whatever you think of, you can do, as long as you only need to manipulate existing covers to make it happen.

Entries will be judged on a variety of criteria, including how good the cover design is and how interesting the game is advertises would be. It's totally possible that a really simple entry could win if the idea for the game is very funny or interesting. Then, the moderation staff will vote on the entries, and the top six will win karma. One 50 karma grand prize will be awarded, as well as five 10 karma runner-up prizes.

The deadline for entry will be November 14th, 2012, at 11:59EST. To enter, just post a link to your cover, uploaded to a free image hosting site like Imgur, in this topic.

Important! Please submit your covers using the following format:

Entry: http://www.yourentryurl.com

I cannot guarantee your entries will be considered if they are not in this format. You can include other text in the post, so long as the above text appears on its own line somewhere in your entry.

Also, note that I will be out of town on my honeymoon for the majority of the duration of this contest -- so, if you have any questions and you want an answer before the day before the contest closes, PM Tarrun.

Notes
1. Joint entries are permitted. If you and another user (or two, or three) want to work together on an entry and split the prize if you win, that's fine -- just make sure that all entrants' usernames are included in the entry post. Also, after the entry is posted, it'd be helpful if all the entrants would post to confirm they're a part of the entry.

2. Maximum two entries per user, but only one winning entry per user. If you enter twice and both qualify for prizes, your higher-place entry will receive the prize karma, and lower-placed entries will be bumped up. If one (or both) of your entries is part of a joint entry, you can only receive karma for one entry, but the others in the joint entry may still receive karma.

3. The Terms of Service still apply -- don't post any entries that violate any of the normal terms of service.

4. Mark your spoilers. If your entry somehow spoils some game, note before the link to the entry what game is being spoiled.

5. To change your entry, delete your original post. I won't be compiling a list of entries until the deadline passes, so as long as your post is visible at the deadline, it'll be added.
---
Follow on Twitter: www.twitter.com/ddjgames
For Top 10 lists, reviews, and assorted ramblings about being a mod.
#2BlueCrystalTearPosted 10/31/2012 9:54:21 PM(edited)
ooh, this one might interest me!

Question: By "covers," do you mean front covers only, or can we use back covers too?

Also, congrats on your marriage! Have a lot of fun on your honeymoon~
---
http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/5328/goddesssig2.png
#3DetroitDJ(Topic Creator)(Moderator)Posted 10/31/2012 10:26:33 PM
AmandaKimmel posted...
Question: By "covers," do you mean front covers only, or can we use back covers too?

Back is fine, too -- and, by that same token, you can make both a front and a back for your entry as well.
---
www.DDJGames.com - Game reviews, articles, guides, lists, and more.
Latest: Top 10 Games Developed By Natsume
#4Super SlashPosted 10/31/2012 11:11:55 PM
All of these image-editing contests are way beyond my ability. >.>
#5DetroitDJ(Topic Creator)(Moderator)Posted 10/31/2012 11:28:54 PM
Super Slash posted...
All of these image-editing contests are way beyond my ability. >.>

There's nothing in this one that can't be done in Paint :P in fact, if it's too complicated to be done in Paint, you're probably not allowed to do it in this one.
---
#6-hotdogturtle--Posted 10/31/2012 11:54:25 PM
Half of the things you listed in the first post aren't doable in Paint.

Anyway, I will be entering this one. I've been waiting months for a contest with an original concept.
---
Hey man, LlamaGuy did encrypt the passwords.
With what? ROT-13? -CJayC
#7Jerec(Moderator)Posted 11/1/2012 12:09:53 AM
Entry: http://i.imgur.com/bINRx.jpg

Game over!
---
"This is my timey-wimey detector. It goes ding when there's stuff."
http://gamercards.exophase.com/114672.png
#8DetroitDJ(Topic Creator)(Moderator)Posted 11/1/2012 12:11:41 AM
-hotdogturtle-- posted...
Half of the things you listed in the first post aren't doable in Paint.

I guess you can't skew in Paint. Everything else you can do, though. Everything.
---
#9Super SlashPosted 11/1/2012 12:38:12 AM
Jerec posted...
Entry: http://i.imgur.com/bINRx.jpg

Game over!

I don't get it. =X

And if I knew how to crop pictures and do all that other stuff I'd try to make something. Anyone got a link or something?
#10SubmachinerPosted 11/1/2012 2:04:39 AM(edited)
Well finally. A contest that meets exactly what I'm good at doing. I've been sitting here the last few months, just waiting for the most opportune moment and now you've given me what I've waited for. Thank you.

^_^

Edit: Actually you can skew in paint. Though my personal taste is Paint.net, far better than paint, also the fact you can use plugins that can give you a variety of features that mspaint does not have.
---
Embrace your inner troll