This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Latest Attempt at a Book Topic...

#1jonnymarPosted 9/7/2010 10:16:20 AM
I know it will purge in a few months, but what the heck...

Anyways, I'm finishing up the Scott Pilgrim series, having just finished reading book 5...I am not a big fan of the change in art style the last few books as I really like the art from book 1 and 2, but the story is as entertaining as always...I'm looking forward to reading the conclusion and moving on to ordering the new Wheel of Time book and Sanderson's other new book...

---
Just because you're paranoid, that doesn't mean they're not out to get you...
~{jON(ny)mAr}~ The Original Ellipsis Over-User...
#2Kain RebornPosted 9/7/2010 2:32:47 PM
Last week I tackled the first novel I've read in...well, a long time. I've been on a pretty big Star Wars kick recently because of hype for The Old Republic, so on a whim I picked up the first book of the Darth Bane trilogy. I liked it quite a lot. A while ago I kinda got turned off of Star Wars novels because the timeline goes off the deep end towards the end of the Thrawn Trilogy and that's when most of the books take place, but I really love the stuff from the Old Republic era. Unfortunately there aren't a whole lot of (non-graphic) novels from that time period, but after reading Path of Destruction I want to check out everything else that's out there.
---
BACK TO ADVENTURE!
PSN: CHAWKLIT_REIGN / Steam ID: kainreborn
#3KastenessenPosted 9/8/2010 3:55:19 AM
Been trying to read Dust of Dreams, the penultimate Malazan Book of the Fallen volume. It's tricky, as the books alternate plotlines and characters, so this one is following the Bonehunters and the others in the Letherii continent, which was last seen in Reaper's Gale, a book I read about two years ago. I've heard it gets really good, even though it's just half of the final volume (The Crippled God should be out early next year) so nothing gets resolved. This is a really crazy series which would benefit from a reread.

Also reading the Invincible comic book series, as I like The Walking Dead a lot. It started out as a quite comedic Superman-style series, but with a huge twist around issue 10. I have absolutely no idea where it'll end up now.
---
If it wasn't for disappointment,
I wouldn't have any appointments.
#4jonnymar(Topic Creator)Posted 9/13/2010 6:45:24 AM
Trying to pick the original Shannara trilogy up again as I wait for my Sanderson book...I read 2 pages last night, in a brief window before going to bed...

---
#5BluharvestPosted 9/13/2010 8:16:47 AM
What about the prequel?
I remember there being 4 books in the original trilogy.
---
wdlp
#6jonnymar(Topic Creator)Posted 9/14/2010 12:35:54 PM
I don't have the prequel, as it was written after the original series...I might check it out after I finish the first three books...

---
#7KastenessenPosted 9/15/2010 3:56:00 AM
Is it as blatantly a LOTR imitation as people say?
---
If it wasn't for disappointment,
I wouldn't have any appointments.
#8BluharvestPosted 9/15/2010 4:24:29 AM
The Sword of Shannara contains many similarities to LoTR, however the same could be said of many fantasies.

It's like first book syndrome, as Elfstones onwards, Brooks really comes into his own swing of things.
---
wdlp
#9jonnymar(Topic Creator)Posted 9/15/2010 6:41:24 AM
Yeah, I'm only about 380 pages into Sword of Shannara and the first half of the book was pretty much exactly like Fellowship...but, there's been a little bit of variability now and hopefully it will continue...

---
#10jonnymar(Topic Creator)Posted 9/21/2010 7:12:36 AM
I'm considering getting Under the Dome, but don't want to pay $20 for it...I suppose I could buy a used copy...

---