This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Latest Attempt at a Book Topic...

#411KastenessenPosted 5/7/2013 4:05:42 AM
Finished The Curve of the Earth some days ago. Enjoyed it a lot, especially as it dealt with the nightmarish Reconstructionist America. Intrigued as to what the future holds for the increasingly cybernetic Petrovitch.

Started Peter Hamilton's Night's Dawn trilogy, but damn if it's hard to get into late at night. Immediate overload of jargon, planets and alien life.
---
If it wasn't for disappointment,
I wouldn't have any appointments.
#412KastenessenPosted 5/13/2013 9:46:01 PM
Still working on the Reality Dysfunction. Setting up many different viewpoints all over the place.
---
#413KastenessenPosted 5/21/2013 2:32:27 AM
Just a bump.
---
#414jonnymar(Topic Creator)Posted 5/27/2013 12:18:07 PM
Halfway through A Dance with Dragons! Unfortunately, I'll have to return it to the library before I finish it...
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/thejonnymar
~{jON(ny)mAr}~ The Original Ellipsis Over-User...
#415D4Y_omgPosted 5/28/2013 10:34:45 AM
james bought the necronomicon so i am reading a story a night.
I read dagon last night.
---
It's sad really that we all represent such a mediocre game. - Medea
I can honestly say that there is no music which would make me want to eat my own vomit.-Nix
#416jonnymar(Topic Creator)Posted 6/6/2013 9:03:40 AM
I have 2 weeks until I need to return A Dance with Dragons. Currently on page 620...can I make it?
---
#417KastenessenPosted 6/13/2013 7:36:51 AM
Been kind of slack with my reading. The Reality Dysfunction is still plodding along, hopefully things start to converge soon.
---
#418KastenessenPosted 6/20/2013 6:57:31 AM
Reality Dysfunction flared up in a big way, some kind of Lovecraftian energy beings mixed with Dead Space, with sequestered humans manipulating matter and being able to survive an insane amount of damage. I'm only 15% of the way through the trilogy according to the Kindle, so I've got no idea where it'll end up.
---
#419The BlackMagePosted 6/24/2013 3:38:56 PM
Finished two books in two days.

Today I read John Scalzi's Redshirts in one sitting, very entertaining. I've not read any of his other works but definitely am adding some of his titles to my list for my next book shopping trip. It's a fun send up of poorly written sci-fi, and its twists and turns are well paced and plotted. The characters are all funny in their own ways, just a page turner in every right.

I could write volumes about The Ocean at the End of the Lane, but all that needs to be said really is that it's Neil Gaiman distilled into the very essence of his story telling. I've recommended it to my friends who couldn't get into American Gods because they felt they were missing something that was not contained in the book, yet essential to their understanding of the story(you try telling them that prior knowledge of any of the mythology in the book is really just not essential and entirely missing the point). It has that same sense of real world fantastically bizarreness that I love Gaiman for, with very sensible pacing and a very, very emotional core about childhood and fear.
---
Smack a baby in the morning, smack a baby in the light, smack a baby in the evening if you're looking for a fight. - Smackababy by mc chris
#420jonnymar(Topic Creator)Posted 6/28/2013 1:28:34 PM
Finished a Dance with Dragons a little over a week ago...it was a bit better than A Feast of Crows, and picked up a bit the last 100 pages or so. I'm actually looking forward to the next book...whenever that comes out...

I also read Invincible Ultimate Collection #8. I love the Invincible series, and hate that I have wait a year to read each collection...
---