This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Latest Attempt at a Book Topic...

#421KastenessenPosted 7/4/2013 8:20:32 PM
Nearing the end of The Reality Dysfunction. There were times I considered putting this on hold to read other, shorter novels but then everything just started happening all over the place. The big reveal regarding the nature of the invaders was a surprise, too. I think I still enjoy the Commonwealth Saga more, but right now I'm loving this series.
---
If it wasn't for disappointment,
I wouldn't have any appointments.
#422BlissenobiarellaPosted 7/9/2013 10:58:05 PM
it freaked me out to see this near the bottom so i'm posting even though i don't have much

i don't know if i can handle long-form fiction at the moment, but i did bust out my old sci-fi hugo award winners compilation the other morning and read some old favorites

god i wish i could like harlan ellison as a person
---
"WHEN I WANT YOUR OPINION I WILL CUT OUT YOUR BRAIN AND EAT IT AND CRAP YOUR OPINION BACK INTO YOUR SKULL" -- Nice Pete
#423KastenessenPosted 7/18/2013 4:06:30 AM
Still only a little way into the second book in the NIght's Dawn trilogy.

Definitely need to reread The Way Of Kings before book two comes out.

New Dresden Files book sounds like it'll be amazing.
---
#424The BlackMagePosted 7/18/2013 1:30:03 PM
Recently read Wool by Hugh Howey, pretty good apocalyptic sci-fi. Now reading Makers by Cory Doctorow.
---
Smack a baby in the morning, smack a baby in the light, smack a baby in the evening if you're looking for a fight. - Smackababy by mc chris
#425The BlackMagePosted 7/22/2013 3:26:11 PM
Still reading Makers by Cory Doctorow. Progress had been almost non-existent until this afternoon, now I'm a good third of the way through it. Exciting stuff, all of Doctorow's books are brimming with such a ridiculous amount of ideas that it's like riding a dot-com rollercoaster, just every page is something new and fantastical and grounded firmly in tech reality. Which is especially relevant because Makers is a dot-com parable centered on micro-start-ups and cheap 3-d printed goods.

I'm considering reading something by Philip K. Dick next as, shamefully, I haven't read him before. I also might do Old Man's War by John Scalzi, not sure yet. We shall see. Any recommendations for a good PKD novel? I'l absorb short stories later, I like to dive head first into new authors with a good novel then pick up short stories later on down the line.
---
Smack a baby in the morning, smack a baby in the light, smack a baby in the evening if you're looking for a fight. - Smackababy by mc chris
#426KastenessenPosted 7/22/2013 5:28:31 PM
Maybe Ubik.
---
#427SkynixPosted 7/27/2013 6:12:07 PM
The only one I've read is Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, but it was really good. Very different from Blade Runner, too, if you've seen that. I was worried I'd already know the plot, but Blade Runner is more "inspired by" than "based on."

As for me...I read The Diamond Age a few weeks ago (thanks again Shadow); I really liked it, more than Snow Crash even. It still has the Stephenson problem of sometimes lengthy info dumps, but it feels like a more mature work than SC; stuff like "Hiro Protagonist" (which I loved years ago and then found kind of Too Cute later) is excised, and the world is really interesting and prescient. For some reason I was utterly convinced that Diamond Age was the first out of a series and then I found out it wasn't after I finished it and was bummed for a while.

Now I'm reading Delillo's Libra, which is a sort of po-mo alternative history book about the events leading up to the Kennedy assassination; Lee Harvey Oswald is a major character and the book is about half a semi-fictionalized biography of him. It's not as good as White Noise or Underworld, but it's holding my attention and has a similar rich-historical-detail feel as Underworld, with the advantage of being significantly shorter.
---
The wind was the scream of a great mad bird, as it flapped its immense wings.
#428jonnymar(Topic Creator)Posted 8/3/2013 11:27:57 AM
Debating reading the Robert Kirkman novels...
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/thejonnymar
~{jON(ny)mAr}~ The Original Ellipsis Over-User...
#429The BlackMagePosted 8/10/2013 9:08:27 AM
I've been strapped for cash so I haven't gotten any new books recently, but I just remembered I got a $25 gift card to Half Price Books from a coworkers for our Secret Santa last year soooo I'ma go today! Yay books!

Read Ganymede by Cherie Priest most recently, had it lying around for a few years but haven't gotten to it. Turns out having nothing else new to read was pretty good motivation. It was a fun romp, her Clockwork Century books are all pretty entertaining historical fiction.
---
#430The BlackMagePosted 8/16/2013 8:34:21 PM
Started A Song of Stone by Iain Banks
---