This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Video Game Discussion XI: Chains of Postmathia

#1The BlackMagePosted 11/26/2013 10:53:41 PM
It's a FFXI joke! GET IT?!?!

So I killed it, my bad. HERE WE GO AGAIN YOU GUYS.

Anyway, I've just started playing Europa Universalis IV, as a big fan of Civ games it seemed like a logical progression into a mad world of deep historical tactics. I played through the tutorials and tried a game as Sweden last night and got wreck instantly like 30 years into my game when I foolishly tried to gain independence from Denmark.

SPOILER ALERT

They effed my ess up hardcore in like a two year campaign of blood and fire.

Jonny, would you be so kind as to sweep in and do the stats? I just don't care enough honestly but for posterity's sake.
---
Smack a baby in the morning, smack a baby in the light, smack a baby in the evening if you're looking for a fight. - Smackababy by mc chris
#2The BlackMage(Topic Creator)Posted 11/26/2013 11:49:18 PM(edited)
Rejected alternate FFXI expansion/title puns:

Rise of the Fanart
Treasures of Xbox One
Wings of the okay I really didn't have one for this one(Goddess)
EDIT: I'VE GOT IT Bing(s) of the Goddess NAILED IT
Seekers of Cheatdoulin
---
Smack a baby in the morning, smack a baby in the light, smack a baby in the evening if you're looking for a fight. - Smackababy by mc chris
#3Kain RebornPosted 11/26/2013 11:43:34 PM
The BlackMage posted...
I don't know, Zelda: A Link Between Worlds looks really good. I'm downloading it now, will report back later or possibly tomorrow if it goes hard.

I mean, though, Super Mario 3d Land was pretty good too and a multiplayer version of that on a bigger screen with new power-ups would be pretty awesome.

I also though 3D Land was pretty good. I'm only two worlds in and 3D World is already on par with Galaxy.

But you're right, Zelda looks hot. I'm saving that one for my California trip next month. Everything I've heard indicates that they somehow managed to live up to the legacy of the best Zelda of all time.
---
BACK TO ADVENTURE!
PSN: CHAWKLIT_REIGN / XBL: RATS OFF T0 YA / Steam: kainreborn
#4Kain RebornPosted 11/26/2013 11:54:53 PM
PERSONA NEWS ROUND-UP

Persona 5 has been confirmed to take place in high school. Sorry, Orly.
The slave motif is apparently related to the stress caused by the Japanese school system.
The game was almost a portable title, but was moved to PS3 because they knew the fans wanted an HD Persona (thank god).

Also, Persona 4 Dancing All Night takes place six months after Persona 4.
Persona 4 Dancing All Night has a spot in the timeline, and is presumably canon. Thank you, Atlus.
---
BACK TO ADVENTURE!
#5Deus MacLeodPosted 11/27/2013 4:02:36 PM
AUTUMN MIRACLES
---
juicy
#6Kain RebornPosted 11/27/2013 6:54:45 PM(edited)
I've been playing a bit of Assassin's Creed IV recently, after a quickly aborted attempt at AC3. The cold reception really soured my enthusiasm for the last game, but my gaming OCD told me I had to at least critical path my way through the campaign to prep myself. Long story short, I played enough of the game to see the new stuff it was doing, but also enough to see that all the criticism was well founded. In a vacuum I'm sure I could have buckled down and seen the task through, but that was nigh impossible with a new copy of AC4 sitting there the whole time.

AC4 is great, though. It's the most fun I've had with the series since AC2. Brotherhood was a worthwhile, if not wholly original, expansion, and I felt burned out on the formula not even halfway through Revelations. Black Flag is a triumphant return to form. Individual mileage will vary based on how much the theme appeals to you, and in my case this feels like the swashbuckling pirate game I've wanted for years. The first time I loosed the sails on my ship and soared across the open water while my crew buzzed about the deck singing a sea chanty, it was one of those Unforgettable Video Game Moments that remind me why I love these things so much.

Right off the bat the dramatic shift in focus makes itself apparent. Gone are the reverent scenes of being inducted into an ancient order and engaging in a never-ending battle for justice; in the first ten minutes your character kills an Assassin and assumes his identity in order to claim the reward awaiting him in Havana. Upon arriving you get a glimpse of the larger conflict, but it's not long before Edward realizes he's in over his head and high-tails it out of there to engage in some good old fashioned piracy. I'm sure all that AC lore will come back around later on, but right now I'm more than happy to revel in some high sea adventure.
---
BACK TO ADVENTURE!
#7The BlackMage(Topic Creator)Posted 11/27/2013 9:11:05 PM
Guys.

Guys.

Real talk.

The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds is the best Zelda game since Wind Waker. The 3d looks great and doesn't drop framerate at all switching back and forth. It's really kind of necessary for the best depth perception in some dungeon areas to tell what's above you and what's on the floor running right at you in rooms that have 2 levels but are the same floor on the map.

Ravio is a strange little dude that basically invites himself into your home and rents you items from the dungeons in the game, they're pretty cheap and you keep them until you die. In this way you can get a bunch of heart pieces earlier on and do some of the dungeons in the order you prefer. However, there are still other items you can't get from Ravio that prevent it from completely sequence breaking the whole game, but seeing as it's designed right into it intentionally it's pretty cool. Gives you a good sense of freedom when exploring to know that if you get stuck on something you can likely go back and get it from Ravio and then push back on, instead of having to drop it and come back later and feel like you've wasted time.

Also there are weather vanes that serve as save spots that you can also fly between by calling a witch on her broomstick.

And the transforming into a painting thing is pretty cool as well, I was kinda worried about that being gimmicky but I've already found a bunch of uses for it to get around places that made me feel clever. It just feels good.

And the story explaining it all is pretty well done so far. It's honestly better written than TP or SS were, and also far more concise and thus paced better. Compared to old Zeldas it still has a lengthy intro(15 minutes or so before you get to wander freely with your sword in hand), but it sets things up nicely then turns you loose.
---
#8The BlackMage(Topic Creator)Posted 11/28/2013 12:16:08 AM
Oh god it's time for the Autumn Steam Sale and I have hundreds of dollars of expendable income.

SOMEONE SAVE ME FROM GABEN'S MONEY GRABBING MACHINE.

I may end up owning every game on Steam by the time this is over.

I own most of today's games already, as is usually the case with the opening days of the sale, but I did pick up Gone Home and Rogue Legacy for $5 each, and am considering Prison Architect. I may wait to see if it goes on sale cheaper BUT ALSO it is a new release and probably won't get much cheaper really.

I don't have a Windows install until I decide to dedicate time and money to picking up a new HDD and either tracking a legitimate copy of Windows 7 down. I'm not actually entirely opposed to suffering Win8 at this point but it's UNREASONABLY EXPENSIVE AS ALWAYS, at least 7 is getting down to acceptable ranges at an average of $70 a license, but MS isn't issuing new licenses so I need to find a physical disc on the cheap.

So what that means is all Linux-supported games will be getting primary consideration from me during this sale.
---
#9Kain RebornPosted 11/28/2013 12:33:34 AM(edited)
Picked up Skyrim. I don't like Bethesda games, but it's seven bucks. Maybe I'll like Skyrim!

Also Gone Home and Terraria, both of which are steals at their current prices.

EDIT: Also, PS3 owners, keep an eye on Amazon. I haven't looked too deeply because that **** is so last gen, but it seems like they'll have good deals on PSN codes in the coming week.
---
BACK TO ADVENTURE!
#10Deus MacLeodPosted 11/28/2013 8:57:21 AM
Rogue Legacy and Terraria are pretty great (though you need at least one other person to get the most out of Terraria).

Got Skyrim. I played more than my fair share out of it, but I want to try out that total conversion mod a dude made. And nude mods.
---
juicy