This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Overused phrases that you should avoid

#1Sailor Bacon(Admin)Posted 2/22/2005 12:57:07 PMmessage detail
Reading hundreds and hundreds of reviews a week, I see many many phrases used way too often that really aren't necessary and just make the review look "cookie cutter" or boring. Remember that there are variants to these phrases that should also be avoided. Also remember that none of the below items will get a review rejected, they just look bad.

1) "And now, on to the review."

Okay, so then what was the point of anything you wrote up until this point? Even if it isn't overly relevant to the game, you really don't want to end your paragraph with this line. It discounts everything you've said up to that point and makes the reader lose interest in what else you have to say.

2) "11/10!"

This just looks childish. You can't rate anything higher than perfect. If you do, you look like a fanatical fanboy and it discounts your credibility.

3) "Reviewer XXX says..."

This isn't important at all. If you put down the opinions of other reviewers, it makes you look petty and makes your opinions less valid. If you support other reviewers, it just makes it look like you can't make your opinion strongly enough without support.

4) "Gameplay is the most important category of all."

Yes, gameplay is important. But this line seriously appears in so many reviews and it isn't necessary. Just write your part about gameplay, the reader knows that it's important.

5) "This game doesn't have a story so..."

If there's no story, then why the hell are you making a section for it?! This totally boggles my mind.

I might list some more later. In the meantime, I'm sure that reviewers will be happy to add in some of their pet peeve phrases.
---
The Funtastic Admin
"Helden met een pantser!"
#2PChapinPosted 2/22/2005 1:01:08 PMmessage detail
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#3XIII is coolPosted 2/22/2005 1:04:13 PMmessage detail
4) "Gameplay is the most important category of all."

Yes, gameplay is important. But this line seriously appears in so many reviews and it isn't necessary. Just write your part about gameplay, the reader knows that it's important.

>_>

<_<

Just out of interest, why, when you spell it gameplay, does gameplay need two words for it in a review?
#4Sailor Bacon(Topic Creator)(Admin)Posted 2/22/2005 1:07:28 PMmessage detail
Oh wait, here's more:

1) "This is my first review so...." (also "And for my 50th review....", etc)

It doesn't matter if it's your first or your five-hundredth. I didn't click on the review to learn about your review history. I clicked on the review to learn about the game. Your first review isn't an excuse for crappy reviewing.

2) Buy/Rent/etc sections for ancient systems. No one is going to rent an NES game (or it's incredibly unlikely). Just say if you think the game's worth having. That is, if you insist on having a dedicated section for this purpose in the first place, which really isn't needed since your review should give them an idea about this anyway.
---
The Funtastic Admin
#5Sailor Bacon(Topic Creator)(Admin)Posted 2/22/2005 1:15:22 PMmessage detail
"I hope you enjoyed my review!" / "Thanks for reading my review!" / etc

Dunno what to say about it really other than that it annoys me personally.
---
The Funtastic Admin
#6GhostOfLegaultPosted 2/22/2005 1:19:39 PMmessage detail
*takes notes* ;> >

---
._.
#7PChapinPosted 2/22/2005 1:45:56 PMmessage detail
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#8theREALbbobbPosted 2/22/2005 1:50:35 PMmessage detail
"One day a long time ago a few years ago I was strolling down the aisle of my local rental store. I was there because I was looking for a game to rent but I wasn't really sure what I wanted to rent. Eventually I saw this game, and I spent a few minutes thinking about whether or not I should rent it, and eventually I did. I am glad I went to my rental store that day to rent this great game."
#9Ben_SparkesPosted 2/22/2005 1:59:54 PMmessage detail
Are we allowed to promote the gameplay a little more if it's groundbreaking for the system? Or completely Original? (not that we see much of that these days)

---
(<
He's eating all the dots! GET 'IM!!! ~586777~
#10wellingtonPosted 2/22/2005 2:04:24 PMmessage detail
*takes note*
---
SIGN THE PETITION add comments when appealing http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=7&topic=18593150