This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What are some of the differences between the dub and sub of Pokemon?

#11_Wargle_Posted 8/20/2011 8:47:09 PM
Jelly Donuts
---
http://i53.tinypic.com/x0tnwx.jpg
#12EndgamePosted 8/20/2011 8:54:36 PM
-Changed some males to females because traps = bad/anti-gay attitude.
be honest with me, is this supposed to be trolling, or have you just not watched dub episodes featuring..... that purple haired guy with the Cacturne outfit, whatever his name was?
---
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will fight to the death for my right to fight you to the death. -Stephen Colbert
#13Juicy54Posted 8/20/2011 8:59:00 PM
And didn't they change some stuff about MewTwo's past in the movie or something?

*spoilers*

Original: Mewtwo was made in a lab along with his creator's original clone daughter, who made a clone of his daughter because she originally died. Makes friends with the cloned daughter who begins to teach him about life and being alive and stuff.

Mewtwo: Ai, I...I want to know more...and more!
Ai: Yeah! I'll teach you anything I know.
Mewtwo: Huh? Ai...I can see something. I can feel something. What's that?
Ai: You can feel it? You can see it?
Mewtwo: Yeah.
Ai: That's the sun.
Mewtwo: The sun?
Ai: It lights and warms us up. Warm...
Mewtwo: Wa~rm...Ai, what's that?
Ai: It's the stars and the moon. They're there to tell us that the night's not dark and scary. They're always shining at night.
Mewtwo: Shining...hm...That? Ai..what's he eating?
Ai: That? Hehehe...that's cake and milk that a researcher is eating.
Mewtwo: Cake? Milk?
Ai: Cake is sweet..and soft...and usually not adults, but children love it!
Mewtwo: Then you must like it too Ai.
Ai: I've never had it before. I mean, I can't eat in here, in this chamber...
Mewtwo: Hmm...How about milk?
Ai: It's something that newborn babies, not adults, want the most. But... (Giggles) hehehe. I've never had that either. I've cried before because I wanted it though.
Mewtwo: Why are we born?
Ai: Because there is a papa and a mama.
Mewtwo: Do we have a papa and a mama too?
Ai: In our case, um...um...God, I guess.
Mewtwo: God...? Ai, what are we?
Ai: You're a strange a and very wonderful Pokemon
Mewtwo: Pokemon? Then you're a Pokemon too, Ai?
Ai: No, I'm a human. But I'm a copy so...so...*a tear falls down her face*
Mewtwo: What's wrong? What's wrong Ai?
Ai: I.. feel a bit weak.. I think it's time for us to say goodbye... *her body begins falling apart*
Mewtwo: Ai..I..I'm in the glass...in the water, but water is flowing from my eyes...what is this?
Ai: That's probably...tears
Mewtwo: Tears?
Ai: Papa said all living things don't shed tears unless their bodies hurt. And the only ones who shed tears because they're sad are humans...Mewtwo.
Mewtwo: Huh?
Ai: ...Thank you for your tears. But Mewtwo, donít cry. You're going to live. And I'm sure that living is wonderful.
Mewtwo: Ai, it won't stop...The tears..what should I do? Ai, answer me... please

Mewtwo then realizes he's a clone in a lab, and one he gets strong enough, he breaks free, kills the scientists, and escapes. His goal in the original is to find meaning in his life, and is horrifed at the experiments the humans were doing on Ai. He calls humans weak and cruel, and Pokemon are no better because they choose to serve humans, and the world will fall into ruin if humans are allowed to rule. He hosts that tournament to prove to himself he's stronger than anyone else and he is actually alive and not a cheap copy of Mew but a real living creature... the dub makes it so they cut that out and he wants to rule the world (Of course!)
---
In the deciding moment that determines your future....
You cannot lie to yourself!
#14SnarfAndSophie(Topic Creator)Posted 8/20/2011 9:02:08 PM

-Altered character personalities

Like who?

adding a bunch of SatoshixKasumi hints when there were none in the original for some reason

I thought they got rid of them in the dub
---
GT: MyMajesticSnarf
#15Juicy54Posted 8/20/2011 9:03:14 PM
Endgame posted...
-Changed some males to females because traps = bad/anti-gay attitude.
be honest with me, is this supposed to be trolling, or have you just not watched dub episodes featuring..... that purple haired guy with the Cacturne outfit, whatever his name was?

Harley? Eh, don't really watch the dub much. I just remember hearing Yoshiki is a girl in the dub and stuff.
---
#16sigmasonicXPosted 8/20/2011 9:03:38 PM
I'd like to point out that the Mewtwo stuff was DVD only in the Japanese version. It was never part of the actual movie.
---
Cast in the name of hair, ye not funky! We have came to perms! Biiiiig Fro!
#17Juicy54Posted 8/20/2011 9:14:34 PM(edited)
Like who?

I don't really watch the dub to name every example, but any clips I see to compare to the original often have some facepalm kiddy dialog. Team Rocket seems to suffer the most by being even goofier and stupider in the dub. In addition to their Dr. Seuss rhymes in Diamond and Pearl, some of their dialog makes them seem more incompetent/stupid (i.e. in the original they just simply run out of food and are starving, in the dub they do a line about how they were tricked out of it, or they tried to cook it but they burnt it all and they're 'evil thieves, not chefs'!)

I really dislike their puns and dialog... one side character will say like "A pair of perfect polished punches! Positively passionate!" when it's just "Alright, he managed to get in another attack, great job!" in the original. The whole script seems kiddier because of it.

And I guess Satoshi isn't really as much of an idiot in the original. Some times he'll say some strategy line in the original "Quick, use that momentum and jump off the wall!" but it's replaced with "Yeah, keep going!" or "Never give up!" type of line.

I thought they got rid of them in the dub

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_6f6DWp7Nk

>_>

Also the fact the US never gets any of the Drama CDs or other specials is a shame, so I guess all those elements aren't in the dub, technically.
---
#18SnarfAndSophie(Topic Creator)Posted 8/20/2011 9:27:29 PM
Hmm I always thought Misty did like Ash in the original. Shows what I know
---
GT: MyMajesticSnarf
#19ShinaroujiPosted 8/20/2011 9:34:12 PM
Juicy54 posted...
Also the fact the US never gets any of the Drama CDs or other specials is a shame

We got 2 b a Master, literally the greatest thing you could ask for
---
Playing: Catherine, NieR
Anticipating: Devil Survivor Overclocked, Tales of Xillia
#20Mister_FeenyPosted 8/20/2011 9:36:12 PM
http://i.imgur.com/Y1CR2.jpg
---
MEANWHILE, IN BRITAIN...
http://i.imgur.com/9xLa7.gif