This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why didn't the humans on Titan dig a moat around the walls?

#11Darrius ColePosted 5/7/2013 10:35:28 PM
LightSora93 posted...
Did you even watch episode 5?

And even if you didn't, Big Red alone negates what you're saying. Big Red could solo a medieval civilization.

Yes, I did. Even though the Titans were clearly put there by someone who is intelligent as a way to control humans, it still doesn't hold water.

There is no limit to how big or how wide a moat can be. If there is a 50 meter tall Titan, then they could dig a moat 150 meters deep and 300 meters wide, that runs all the way up to the wall, and then they could dig another one that size on the inside of the wall. They are already building projects at that scale. The outer wall, Maria, I believe (or was it Rose) is over 3000km long. and it has eddies along the edge that are big enough to fit whole cities in.

Human beings excel at killing. By the time we / they got through concocting weapons and traps and poisons and shields and guns and bombs there is no way that we would be threatened by titans. We would eat them before they would eat us.

For pete's sake the titans are all freakin' naked. What would they do if we lived in the cold weather, what would they do with the winter?

Its plot induced stupidity, but it's necessary for the story to work so I roll with it.
#12EdgeknightPosted 5/7/2013 10:41:01 PM
No one knows how the walls were built or by whom in the first place, apparently.

Seriously

That single detail makes the truth behind the whole situation seem supremely obvious
---
"I'm not a newbie it's just that I only registered a few days ago." -matchulinch
#13LightSora93Posted 5/7/2013 10:41:37 PM
Darrius Cole posted...
LightSora93 posted...
Did you even watch episode 5?

And even if you didn't, Big Red alone negates what you're saying. Big Red could solo a medieval civilization.

Yes, I did. Even though the Titans were clearly put there by someone who is intelligent as a way to control humans, it still doesn't hold water.

There is no limit to how big or how wide a moat can be. If there is a 50 meter tall Titan, then they could dig a moat 150 meters deep and 300 meters wide, that runs all the way up to the wall, and then they could dig another one that size on the inside of the wall. They are already building projects at that scale. The outer wall, Maria, I believe (or was it Rose) is over 3000km long. and it has eddies along the edge that are big enough to fit whole cities in.

Human beings excel at killing. By the time we / they got through concocting weapons and traps and poisons and shields and guns and bombs there is no way that we would be threatened by titans. We would eat them before they would eat us.

For pete's sake the titans are all freakin' naked. What would they do if we lived in the cold weather, what would they do with the winter?

Its plot induced stupidity, but it's necessary for the story to work so I roll with it.

Did you miss the lecture where they said literally the only way to kill a Titan is to slice its neck at the perfect spot? They'll resurrect otherwise - guns, bombs, poisons, etc don't work. And Big Red can literally just teleport over the moat.

Also, it was implied that humanity didn't build the walls - at least not while they were being attacked by the Titans. They don't have the capacity to do a building project of that scale - especially not after the Titans returned at Zhiganshia (or however that's spelled).
---
Nigecha dame da. Zenzen dame da ze.
#14AceronPosted 5/7/2013 10:41:40 PM
Ep. 1 was the first time Big Red or anything like him ever appeared.

It's safe to assume that Big Red and his brother represent a new generation of Titans.
---
Believe in yourself. Not you, that believes in me.
Not me, that believes in you. Believe in you that believes in yourself. - Kamina, TTGL
#15Panzer_SquidPosted 5/7/2013 10:49:18 PM
Man you guys are in for a nasty surprise I think
---
The Panzer Squid is the ultimate hunter, blending into any environment until it has the opportunity to shove a rocket up urbum
#16omarssikinsPosted 5/8/2013 12:58:10 AM
The only to kill them is to hit a specific area that requires you to get near them or fire some sort of extremely accurate projectile. Their cannons are not accurate enough to do it. The titans are almost completely immortal aside from that one spot so poisons isnt going to do it, one got it's head blown off and was still moving towards the gate. Also, the titans dont use humans as food, aka meaning they dont digest them and even if they did have stomachs to digest the amount of poison needed to kill something that big would require a pretty hefty dose, something that is not viable in an already starving nation, not to mention if the toxicity would even affect the titans given their ability to regenerate via mitosis.

The series is stacked against the humans, they go outside they are dead meat simple as, the moment the titans sniff/hear people going out to do some digging- oh and you're going to need alot of people not to mention time to do that digging and during that time titans will come after them. The titans are not all that seemingly smart but they do have instinct and some are aware that their bodies are resilient as shown by the titan that face tanked into that building just to catch a snack on the fly.

As it stands humans are:

Outmanned
Literally backed into a corner
Outgunned
Have no strategy
outmaneuvered
---
http://myanimelist.net/profile/omarssikins
Luscious Mami Tomoe, what a Mami. Fiora is mine. Eva-unit 00, Rei at your service. Yuno is delicious, fish is not.
#17brian 333Posted 5/8/2013 2:29:28 AM
Darrius Cole posted...
Answer: Total plot device

There is no way in hell that a race of giants with no technology and limited intelligence would be above humans in the food chain.

Even with midieval technology there have to be a least a dozen ways that humans could protect themselves from the Titans as they are presented in Attack on Titan. We could build walls, dig moats, put spikes on / around the walls, put spikes at the bottom of the moat in the water, we could make cannons that shoot spikes, we could use quicksand.

or we could just move to an island.

As far as we can tell so far Titans are slow, physically slow and mentally slow. Without the author giving them help from god, there is no way they could be a threat to humans. We would be more afraid of catching diseases from them than we would be of being eaten by them.

When a series is heavily based around reveals and twists, I would say it's a little premature to jump to quick conclusions about things that haven't really been explained.

Acting like you have the answer is kind of stupid when in a few weeks, the situation could look very different.
#18Ultima_WraithPosted 5/8/2013 2:36:37 AM
I will make this point about the moat and then you guys can continue arguing.

Moats, even empty ditches if you will.

Would eventually fill up with the remains of the Titans. The would then just have a flesh-bridge of Titans to cross.

This is why the wall was a better option, since it is easier to dispose of the remains outside of the wall. Going into a pit to retrieve/kill a living Titan that wasn't finished off would also be much harder than the wide-open space available from the wall. On top of this, rappelling down the wall backwards to slash the weak point would also be easier on the wall where others could see around you and give you directions on how to avoid other Titans.
---
Pokemon Black 2 FC: 5372-8212-5739 | 3DS Friend Code 0430-8284-1167 | Gamertag: UltimaWraith
#19XeirosPosted 5/8/2013 3:39:41 AM
Ultima_Wraith posted...

Would eventually fill up with the remains of the Titans. The would then just have a flesh-bridge of Titans to cross.

After death, Titan corpses rapidly evaporate to skeletal remains, then nothing at all.
---
GT:ComeSweetDeath
#20Ultima_WraithPosted 5/8/2013 3:59:27 AM
Xeiros posted...
Ultima_Wraith posted...

After death, Titan corpses rapidly evaporate to skeletal remains, then nothing at all.

I saw where they went to skeletal remains but hadn't seen the skeletons disappear, I thought they were just cleaning them up. :/
---
Pokemon Black 2 FC: 5372-8212-5739 | 3DS Friend Code 0430-8284-1167 | Gamertag: UltimaWraith