This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So has anyone here watched the 9 HOUR long Umineko theory videos? *SPOILERS*

#51EdgeknightPosted 7/30/2013 2:18:05 PM
FURTHERMORE, Ryuukishi never once threw any kind of 'tantrum', and that anyone even suggests that just proves how ridiculously self-biased they are, having an idea in their head and then reading the story ignoring things about it only to prove they're right. Just like the person who made those videos. It was stated in Episode 8, the one people accuse of 'throwing a tantrum' (which, by the way, is ONE SCENE, not the whole Episode) that people that don't understand the point are not necessarily wrong. They're just not who the story is for. Will and Dlanor even praise people that put the mystery ahead of everything else.

8? Episodes 5 and 6 are one long "you guys don't get itttttttt" hissy fit

I wouldn't doubt that by 8 he looked back with embarrassment over what he wrote
---
"I'm not a newbie it's just that I only registered a few days ago." -matchulinch
#52SceptilesolarPosted 7/30/2013 2:29:38 PM
Suffice to say, you are quite mistaken on all points, and should probably stick to arguing about other subjects.
---
"Would you change yourself, or the world?" - Senri Akane, Rewrite
http://tinyurl.com/SenriAkane
#53LightSora93Posted 7/30/2013 2:40:14 PM
Edgeknight posted...
It's not so much an intentional thing as it was ryukishi throwing a fit at his own audience for not understanding or liking or going along with his intent even as the story itself collapsed under its own weight.

What he wanted was to craft this postmodern mystery novel that was entirely about the "why" and left "how" behind. Then he wanted to focus on the mystery/fantasy binary and deconstruct that. Then he wanted to deconstruct the so-called steadfast rules that mystery novels abide by. The guy tried to do too much and simply didn't have the talent to structure his story in a way that did any of these things well so it just because this sloppy "babbys first postmodern story" mess.

Then he got pissed when his fans didn't get it and clearly cared more about the "how" than his silly soap opera fantasy story.

While I wouldn't deny that Ryuukishi bit off a bit more ambitious a story than he had the skill to tell, especially after his friend and editor passed away, I wouldn't say the story collapsed under its own weight and I wouldn't call it a failure or a sloppy mess. The themes he was going for are all clearly identifiable and appreciable, and I don't see any part of the story as being him "getting pissed" at anyone.
---
Nigecha dame da. Zenzen dame da ze.
#54dethfdddddhPosted 7/30/2013 2:49:47 PM
LightSora93 posted...
Edgeknight posted...
It's not so much an intentional thing as it was ryukishi throwing a fit at his own audience for not understanding or liking or going along with his intent even as the story itself collapsed under its own weight.

What he wanted was to craft this postmodern mystery novel that was entirely about the "why" and left "how" behind. Then he wanted to focus on the mystery/fantasy binary and deconstruct that. Then he wanted to deconstruct the so-called steadfast rules that mystery novels abide by. The guy tried to do too much and simply didn't have the talent to structure his story in a way that did any of these things well so it just because this sloppy "babbys first postmodern story" mess.

Then he got pissed when his fans didn't get it and clearly cared more about the "how" than his silly soap opera fantasy story.

While I wouldn't deny that Ryuukishi bit off a bit more ambitious a story than he had the skill to tell, especially after his friend and editor passed away, I wouldn't say the story collapsed under its own weight and I wouldn't call it a failure or a sloppy mess. The themes he was going for are all clearly identifiable and appreciable, and I don't see any part of the story as being him "getting pissed" at anyone.

Erika and the goats?
---
Fast Falcon ate my bracket for dinner in the guru contest.
#55EdgeknightPosted 7/30/2013 2:57:44 PM(edited)
He literally introduces a character who approaches the case with hardline mystery genre adherence and self-identifies as an "intellectual rapist". This character completely ignores all the melodrama in the story and sticks strictly to the "hows" and makes it their mission to present anything other than Kanon/Shannon as the answer. It wasn't exactly subtle.

Then, even more hilariously, he introduces another character that whines directly to the readers.

These are things that actually happened

But what really caused the story to implode was a lack of focus. It shifted so many times before finishing what it was doing that it simply ended up a mess of half-baked ideas. There are attempts at all the things he wanted to do with the story but none of them really get to where he wanted them to go because the narrative meandered between the million little mini-projects he'd started within the story. To put it simply he'd just start something new and go off on a tangent without finishing what he already had going.

This guy simply didn't have the chops to take all this on and tried to build on a story structure that wasn't well constructed. Even if he hadn't childishly lashed out like he did he just wasn't accomplishing the goals.
---
"I'm not a newbie it's just that I only registered a few days ago." -matchulinch
#56NitanPosted 7/30/2013 3:05:11 PM(edited)
Man, Higurashi never had these issues.

I dunno why R07 bothered to "challenge" the readers to solve the mystery to begin with. He would have saved himself a lot of grief if he had done that.
---
Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes.
#57PrinceMarthXPosted 7/31/2013 7:25:39 AM
http://goatsreadingseacats.tumblr.com/tagged/akatokuro+the+goat/page/8 this blog reread is really great. Goes through scene by scene, focusing on Yasu and giving logical explanations to whatever occurs. The foreshadowing is a lot thicker than I originally thought. Especially in EP2.
---
http://myanimelist.net/profile/MarthX
#58agesboyPosted 7/31/2013 7:30:49 AM
oh hey that name sounds familiar

i followed someone who reblogged akatokuro's stuff all the time
---
http://i.imgur.com/LabbRyN.jpg
KrahenProphet and Kana are on opposite ends of the Awesome Spectrum.