This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So apparently I got into the Dark Souls II beta...

#11zeik56(Topic Creator)Posted 10/9/2013 2:18:58 AM
I just hope I don't go through all this and then not be able to get in because of server issues. That would be worse than not getting in at all.

At least it's on the PS3, so I don't have to worry about my crappy computer making it nearly unplayable like when I got into the Wildstar beta.
---
I'm a dick, and I want to subject other people to that. ~ R.I.P. Ryan Davis
#12zeik56(Topic Creator)Posted 10/9/2013 2:46:10 PM(edited)
It sounds like that code was the only code they gave out and only 5000 people got in. It appears a number of people who got legitimately invited got gypped because they didn't redeem it fast enough. I'm really glad I happened to be on and was able to redeem it quickly.
---
#13CheeseBiscuitsPosted 10/10/2013 9:41:24 PM
Don't forget to praise the sun!
---
Known.Some.Call.Is.Air.Am.
#14zeik56(Topic Creator)Posted 10/10/2013 9:43:04 PM
I wonder if that emote/saying is in the game. I'll have to check.
---
#15CheeseBiscuitsPosted 10/11/2013 9:55:57 PM
I saw some beta footage and some of the old ones make a return, so I just assumed they were all back. Besides, praising the sun is too huge to not bring back.
---
Known.Some.Call.Is.Air.Am.
#16zeik56(Topic Creator)Posted 10/12/2013 12:39:28 PM
The beta test starts later this evening. Anything you guys desperately want to know?
---
#17king___mickeyPosted 10/12/2013 6:04:05 PM
Lots. But after the "I hate you, zeik" feel died in me, I remembered that I've wanted to go in the game blind and enjoy everything since the Souls games are best played with the sense of discovery and wonder. Playing the beta, as I said above, will sort of make that experience bog down in a way.
---
[Br]reaking [Ba]d - I did it for me.
XBLGT, PSN , Wii FCs, SteamID in profile
#18zeik56(Topic Creator)Posted 10/12/2013 6:34:22 PM
I was thinking more like changes to the mechanics.
---
#19king___mickeyPosted 10/12/2013 6:40:01 PM
Ah, well I heard about backstabbing and ripostes are much harder to do. I want to know the full extent of how they changed that. That and game's general "speed" cause I heard it's slower than Dark Souls and I want to see if lowering the speed of the game will be a detriment or add something to it.
---
[Br]reaking [Ba]d - I did it for me.
XBLGT, PSN , Wii FCs, SteamID in profile
#20zeik56(Topic Creator)Posted 10/13/2013 12:38:30 AM
Just finished playing the beta. (It went an hour longer than they said, which was nice.) Some impressions:

1. I didn't get to see the character creator, but the default faces in the beta were waaaay better than anything in Demon's Souls or Dark Souls. They were some legitimately nice looking characters. They even show your character's face in the status screen now.

2. I like the new undead form. It looks much more like a zombie now, instead of a withered piece of jerky.

3. The new animations look friggin' great. Everything feels way more fluid. Most of the weapons seem to have new animations/movesets now. I think I especially like the new halberd moveset. The halberd/spear backstab is also pretty savage. Love it.

4. Backstabs weren't all too hard. All things considered they seemed pretty forgiving on the positioning. Parrying/Riposte's were way harder though. Not only is there a notable delay on the initial parry, but you also can't just riposte immediately now. You basically have to wait a few seconds for them to fall down and then move up and position yourself just right in front of them. I started to get the hang of it by the end and could do it fairly consistently, but it will definitely take some getting used to. It sounds like the new Agility stat can boost parrying speed, so maybe that will solve that problem eventually.

5. It didn't feel any slower to me. If anything it kind of felt faster. Most weapons seem to have a good amount of speed on them as well as pretty fluid combos. Stuff like greatswords are obviously still pretty slow, but no more than before. To be fair, I play these games somewhat slowly and cautiously anyway, so maybe it's only noticeable for people who like to speed through the game.

6. I had enough time to try all the different classes. The warrior seemed the most up my alley and I probably did the best with him, but I think my favorite class was actually the Sorcerer(ess). Not only did she have a sweet cloak and shield that could cast miracles, but the magic looked pretty cool and seemed pretty useful. For example, Soul Arrow actually auto-locks on to nearby targets now (!), and the Soul Greatsword seems like a nice area of effect attack. She also had a pyromancy that seemed to shoot a stream of fire out of a nearby wall (or tree) and another area of effect attack that rained down soul arrows. (Looked cool but seemed too weak.) The Temple Knight was pretty cool too. He had the halberd and a handaxe as well as some nice Miracles. Apparently Miracles encompass "hexes" now as well, which seem like the dark sorceries from the DLC.

7. Got invaded quite a few times. Probably a little over half of them a blue phantom was summoned to save my ass. Most of the rest I fought solo and won, and then a died a couple out of them. It's hard to say how this will all go once the game is actually out and people who are good at the game start invading people (or how they will limit that), but it seemed to go pretty well for me.

8. The enemies seemed pretty aggressive. They do not hesitate to rush you down and wail on you. They also seem to have more tracking on their moves, so it feels harder to circle strafe them.

9. Life gems seem pretty plentiful. I barely had to worry about my estus flasks since those seemed sufficient under most circumstances.

10. They seem to have adjusted most of the stats in way or another. Endurance seems to have been split into two stats, one giving Stamina and one giving Equip load up. Attunement now raises spell cast speed. Intelligence raises sorcery and fire damage. Etc.

That's all that comes to mind right now. I have to say, I'm way more excited to play this game now than I was before.
---