The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

14 year old in the field at this weekend's US Open

#1VerySikTodayIIPosted 6/12/2012 12:49:30 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/golf/story/14-year-old-Andy-Zhang-youngest-to-qualify-for-US-Open-061112
#2uctriton00Posted 6/12/2012 3:28:33 PM
Great news for him, I hope he makes it to the weekend so he gets some prime TV coverage.

A quick search shows how Open qualifying works:

Golfers who advance out of local qualifying move on to the sectional qualifiers, where they are also joined by golfers who were exempt from local qualifying. Sectional qualifiers are 36 holes (played in one day) of stroke play. In 2011, 13 sectional qualifiers were scheduled (11 in the USA, one in England and one in Japan).

Those who make it through sectional qualifying join the final field for the U.S. Open, along with all the golfers who were exempt from any qualifying (a total of 156).

Now, how do you get into those local qualifiers?

Easy: Fill out an application and mail it in, along with your check for the entry fee. As long as you meet the entry requirements (professional or amateur with 1.4 handicap index or below), and you correctly fill out the entry form, you're in. (Although it should be noted that if you get in and your performance fails to meet a "good play" scoring threshhold set by the USGA, any future applications on your part might be rejected.)

Jeebus, so if you have one bad day during your qualifying round, it'll pretty much follow you? Talk about pressure.
---
http://l.yimg.com/a/p/sp/tools/med/2011/05/ipt/1304491899.jpg
"I just got destroyed. And I should for how much crap I talk about the rest of you."
#3WerecreaturePosted 6/12/2012 8:11:34 PM
uctriton00 posted...

Jeebus, so if you have one bad day during your qualifying round, it'll pretty much follow you? Talk about pressure.

Yup. They set the "good play" and 10 strokes from the course rating of wherever you're playing typically. Oh and the entry fee to get in? $150
---
http://cdn-www.cracked.com/articleimages/ob/gimli.gif
#4room temperaturePosted 6/12/2012 9:07:01 PM
Yep clearly a sport
---
she got screwed up by religion. she got screwed by soccer players. she got high for the first time in the camps down by the banks of the mississippi river.
#5Benkei KurumaPosted 6/13/2012 2:21:36 AM
I wonder if the kid can even reach the 16th Green (Par 5, 670 yards, yes, six-hundred-seventy) in par, assuming he doesn't miss the fairway at all.
---
Kickers win Championships - Jason_Beastbell
#6CormegaPosted 6/13/2012 7:42:17 AM
He's 6 feet tall, looks like he's in his 20s and probably hits the ball a mile, so it's a little less amazing than it sounds.
---
Today's mistakes are in a lighted trophy case.
#7Russian RocketPosted 6/13/2012 8:57:19 AM
He averages about 280 off the tee, so I'm sure he'll be just fine.
#8Russian RocketPosted 6/14/2012 9:02:22 AM(edited)
And he is +3 through 1 hole.

edit: And he is now +5 through 2.