This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Clay Matthews calls out NFL for double standard.

#11HansMolemanPosted 10/9/2012 5:08:45 PM
Play was so fast I never even saw the injury take place.
---
This is untoward! This is not toward! - Tracy Jordan, 30 Rock
#12l3ennPosted 10/9/2012 5:25:12 PM
Piazza posted...
I understand what you're saying, but clipping (and a chop block) has been illegal for a while now, and you dont see those types of blatant cheap shots as much anymore. It makes sense to emphasize the new rule changes because players are still adjusting to it (and complaining about it).

It was definitely a missed call, but the NFL doesnt have much of a clipping/chop block problem anymore. Most of the time one of those gets called it's kind of iffy, or accidental in the sense that a RB does a chip block late while the O-lineman has like one arm barely touching the D-lineman. Here, it was an egregious play, and was missed. I get that people are upset. But I dont think the NFL has an epidemic of those types of plays that it really needs to focus on.

I don't know why you keep posting about clipping, it was a late chop block. And there are some people who are out for long amounts of time when they're chop blocked and then get injured.

And if any QB's knee were even touched the flags would be out with threats of a fine whereas this was far worse. If it were a QB who did this, then it would've warranted a suspension in the NFL's eyes.

His point wasn't JUST about the chop blocks like you believe. He's also talking about in general how the offense is catered to in terms of calls and protection whereas the defense doesn't get that kind of treatment. When it's their livelihood that's on the line, he has apoint.
---
REAL CAVS FAN . . ."LeBron James has no game"-Eminemboy162000
http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/2645/moshoes.gif
#13Daniel_NegreanuPosted 10/9/2012 6:13:19 PM
I think it comes down to the fact, as someone mentioned above, that it's much easier to see flagrantly violent hits on skill players because they have the ball. Obviously, the Cushing hit was dirty, but it's much harder to see those sort of fouls. They occur away from the "action" so to speak.
---
Terrorists, your game is through, because now you have to answer to...
America
#14l3ennPosted 10/9/2012 8:06:16 PM
Daniel_Negreanu posted...
I think it comes down to the fact, as someone mentioned above, that it's much easier to see flagrantly violent hits on skill players because they have the ball. Obviously, the Cushing hit was dirty, but it's much harder to see those sort of fouls. They occur away from the "action" so to speak.

Right, but the NFL makes enough money that they can hire some people to review the games on both sides.

They review the offensive fines when quarterbacks are hardly hit, so why can't they review the defensive plays?
---
REAL CAVS FAN . . ."LeBron James has no game"-Eminemboy162000
http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/2645/moshoes.gif
#15HurricaneManningPosted 10/9/2012 8:46:23 PM
Also I really love how outspoken Clay Matthews has become in recent weeks.

And holy cow just watched that hit about a dozen times and I just cringe every time. If that happens to a QB/RB/WR you can get a guy is getting flagged and fined and vilified in the media for the week.
---
Suck for Luck watch: SUCCESS
BOILER UP!
#16PiazzaPosted 10/9/2012 9:00:29 PM
l3enn posted...
Piazza posted...
I understand what you're saying, but clipping (and a chop block) has been illegal for a while now, and you dont see those types of blatant cheap shots as much anymore. It makes sense to emphasize the new rule changes because players are still adjusting to it (and complaining about it).

It was definitely a missed call, but the NFL doesnt have much of a clipping/chop block problem anymore. Most of the time one of those gets called it's kind of iffy, or accidental in the sense that a RB does a chip block late while the O-lineman has like one arm barely touching the D-lineman. Here, it was an egregious play, and was missed. I get that people are upset. But I dont think the NFL has an epidemic of those types of plays that it really needs to focus on.

I don't know why you keep posting about clipping, it was a late chop block. And there are some people who are out for long amounts of time when they're chop blocked and then get injured..

Chop blocks occur when a defensive player, while engaged with an offensive player, is then contacted by another offensive player at or below the knees. In order for it to be a chop block, there needs to be three people. One goes high, the other goes low, and one guy gets blocked. Clearly that did not happen here.

Clipping occurs when a player blocks another player from behind and at or below the waist. That's exactly what occurs here. Cushing was blocked from behind and below the waist. He was clipped.
---
People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring. ~ Rogers Hornsby