This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Kobe was never a good defender

#1Jarvis013Posted 1/10/2013 5:35:29 PM(edited)
According to RAPM, his defensive rep is unwarranted. Probably doesn't deserve any of his All-Defensive selections TBQH:

http://asubstituteforwar.com/2011/05/09/kobe-bryant-the-most-overrated-defender-imaginable/
#2LostSentimentPosted 1/10/2013 5:35:49 PM
Wrong
---
Chris Paul is better than Chuckbe
#3TheBeaselyPosted 1/10/2013 5:38:36 PM
He's never been amazing or great, but he's good when he tries or going toe-to-toe with someone. Problem is; that doesn't always happen. His hubris is really the problem; he doesn't respect most of his match-ups so he tends to take his eye off them, cheat on screens, and/or go under and let them shoot.

That being said, he's been bad this season and this goes back to the Olympics too.
---
"**** you, Gumby!"
http://i419.photobucket.com/albums/pp277/hudhgis/gumbyisveryangryp2.gif
#4Jarvis013(Topic Creator)Posted 1/10/2013 5:54:28 PM
LostSentiment posted...
Wrong

Expected response from a Kobe fan.. RAPM's among the best advanced stats out there. The players that lead the defensive RAPM category year in year out are usually the best defenders in the league. Kobe has never been among this group. Kobe been a one way player his entire career. No shame in that. It's just an insult to lump him in with the other all-time greats that actually played on both sides of the court.
#5ThRiLLa_MaNiLa_Posted 1/10/2013 6:05:46 PM(edited)
Nevertheless, NBA All-Defensive Team voting is conducted by the NBA head coaches; the coaches are not allowed to vote for players on their own team,

Whatever those statisticians write down is not as good as the coaches who spend time watching tape and knows the game more than anyone. I repeat voting is CONDUCTED BY NBA HEAD COACHES (this includes opposing team's head coaches) and it is not done by the media so it's not as arbitrary as MVP voting.
---
PSN:ThRiLLa1nMaNiLa
#6Jarvis013(Topic Creator)Posted 1/10/2013 6:09:15 PM
ThRiLLa_MaNiLa_ posted...
Nevertheless, NBA All-Defensive Team voting is conducted by the NBA head coaches; the coaches are not allowed to vote for players on their own team,

Whatever those statisticians write down is not a good as the coaches who spend time watching tape and knows the game more than anyone. I repeat voting is CONDUCTED BY NBA HEAD COACHES (this includes opposing team's head coaches) and it is not done by the media so it's not as arbitrary as MVP voting.

So you're telling me a vote from D'Antoni(a guy that knows nothing about defense) is more relevant than advanced stats painstakingly compiled from every game. The stats are objective. The coaches are not...especially the clueless ones like D'Antoni.
#7Kevin_KlobbPosted 1/10/2013 6:09:28 PM
The funniest thing is people who think the All Defensive Teams are voted by the coaches
---
Carmelo Anthony is the best player in the NBA. Anthony Davis is a bust. Canada sucks. Go Knicks! Future 2013 NBA Champions
#8ManOnBenchPosted 1/10/2013 6:10:20 PM
ThRiLLa_MaNiLa_ posted...

Whatever those statisticians write down is not as good as the coaches who spend time watching tape and knows the game more than anyone. I repeat voting is CONDUCTED BY NBA HEAD COACHES (this includes opposing team's head coaches) and it is not done by the media so it's not as arbitrary as MVP voting.

would you trust d'antoni to spot what good defense is. hes a head coach
---
is that a man? on a bench?
#9Tony_Biggie_PunPosted 1/10/2013 6:12:07 PM
Expected response from a Kobe fan.. RAPM's among the best advanced stats out there. The players that lead the defensive RAPM category year in year out are usually the best defenders in the league. Kobe has never been among this group. Kobe been a one way player his entire career. No shame in that. It's just an insult to lump him in with the other all-time greats that actually played on both sides of the court.

Nope
---
http://i.minus.com/iIRemm6yx4yEq.gif
http://media.trb.com/media/photo/2012-01/337763020-16180335.jpg
#10Jarvis013(Topic Creator)Posted 1/10/2013 6:12:15 PM
Some quotes from guys that have actually coached Kobe;

Phil Jackson (2004) "Kobe's defense, to be accurate, has faltered in recent years, despite his presence on the league's all-defensive team. The voters have been seduced by his remarkable athleticism and spectacular steals, but he hasn't played sound, fundamental defense. Mesmerized by the ball he's gambled too frequently, putting us out of position, forcing rotations that leave a man wide open, and doesn't keep his feet on the ground"

Winters "I'd like to see him play better defense," "You know Kobe," Winter said with a chuckle. "He has his game plan. I think he heard me. But he feels there's a certain way he's got to play the game. But it doesn't involve a lot of basically sound defense." "The way Kobe plays defensively affects the team," Winter added. "Anybody that doesn't play consistently good defense hurts the team."