This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

*looks at the stats on Jordan's Playoff numbers*

#1YamaChanPosted 9/8/2013 6:37:53 AM
Holy ****. There really will never be another player to ever have a run like his statistically.

LeBron falls way short, especially in the Finals.
Kobe falls way short, mainly because of 2004 and 2008.
Durant is off to a good start.
Magic falls way short and was victimized in 1991.

It really is insane to look at Jordan's huge jump in production once the post-season started, even in his final years as a Bull with an injured shooting hand.

There are many things about the GOAT that amaze me, but this stands out most among those attributes.

Every super star ever has had a letdown once they've reached the biggest stage, or a post-season where they simply didn't bring it. Win or lose, this never happened to Jordan. And in the Finals, it was always win.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/jordami01.html

Look at that sexiness. Literally only one season where he didn't average at least 30 PPG in the post-season and it was his rookie season and only by .7 points.

We would lose our **** if a rookie balled that hard in their first Playoff appearance today. And proving it's not a matter of era, Jordan was this amazing in every single appearance until his retirement in 1998.

Every other player looks like a mere mortal compared to this God.
---
"Key which hides the powers of darkness... Show your true power before me. Under the contract, Sakura commands you. Release!!" - Sakura Kinomoto
#2YamaChan(Topic Creator)Posted 9/8/2013 6:40:20 AM
Hahahaha. He even became a better 3-point shooter by a significant margin most years. And it had little to do with the shortenedline. He shot nearly 40% on 4 attempts per game in 93. No shortened line that year. 32% and 38% respectively in 91-92.

Jordan epitomizes the "I make them when I matter" camp that Shaq claimed to belong to in regards to his free-throw shooting.

The man simply had no weaknesses in the Finals, and his perfection there illustrates that.
---
"Key which hides the powers of darkness... Show your true power before me. Under the contract, Sakura commands you. Release!!" - Sakura Kinomoto
#3CubanMarkPosted 9/8/2013 6:40:56 AM
A lot of FGAs, inflated stats, worse defensive era, etc etc

Oh and LeBron

I think that pretty much covers all of the arguments
---
After recording Big Sean's "Control" http://i.imgur.com/ANI42Oh.jpg http://s22.postimg.org/6jkbcqqo1/Kendrick.gif
#4YamaChan(Topic Creator)Posted 9/8/2013 6:41:33 AM
I'm putting you on ignore.
---
#5lizardingyoshiPosted 9/8/2013 6:41:45 AM
Didn't you make this topic like 4 times already?
---
GRIT n' GRIND GRIZZLIES
Do you mind if my friend sits this one out...she's just dead!
#6Ray_AP_36Posted 9/8/2013 6:44:14 AM
The one thing I'll give Jordan is that his efficiency was insane considering the volume of shots he took. That said, defenses were still worse (and all but designed to help slashers succeed), his numbers were inflated, and his cumulative numbers during the second three-peat are underwhelming to say the least.
---
I hereby renounce my faith to the false prophet Beth Phoenix, and kneel before CM Punk-- a true god amongst men. #ChurchofPunk
#7YamaChan(Topic Creator)Posted 9/8/2013 6:44:26 AM
Cuban always (moronically I might add) chimes in that not every defense was like the Pistons or Knicks in Jordan's era, but in his Playoff runs, a large portion of his runs had to go through both of those defenses--the Pistons in the 80s and the Knicks in the 90s. Team defense may not have been as complex back then, but defenses geared towards slowing down super star players like Jordan were FAR better than they are today. Pretty much every team defense back then, specifically when playing against Jordan, kept a foot in the paint and their eyes on Jordan so that they could crowd him and assault him anytime he made a move towards the rim.

It's amazing to watch really, if you watch the footage.
---
#8YamaChan(Topic Creator)Posted 9/8/2013 6:47:06 AM(edited)
I'm putting you on ignore too. I refuse to attempt an intelligent discussion with someone stupid enough to say that rampant handchecking, incredibly physical fouls at the rim, the lack of a 3-second rule, illegal zones and illegal off-ball double teams ENABLED slashing to the rim. How stupid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5K-qGWkiKvQ

First and last time I address defense. I'm ignoring all other posts in relation to the subject.
---
#9Ray_AP_36Posted 9/8/2013 6:46:53 AM
YamaChan posted...
Team defense may not have been as complex back then, but defenses geared towards slowing down super star players like Jordan were FAR better than they are today.

[This is what Yama actually believes]

YamaChan posted...
Pretty much every team defense back then, specifically when playing against Jordan, kept a foot in the paint and their eyes on Jordan so that they could crowd him and assault him anytime he made a move towards the rim.

As opposed to today, where they actually come OUT of the paint, toward the strong side, making LeBron's driving lanes smaller.

And for the umpteenth time, physical defense is not the same as good defense. It's probably closer to the opposite, because you're putting star players on the line and getting your players in foul trouble (and enraging a man who arguably plays better while angry than anyone in NBA history).
---
I hereby renounce my faith to the false prophet Beth Phoenix, and kneel before CM Punk-- a true god amongst men. #ChurchofPunk
#10Ray_AP_36Posted 9/8/2013 6:47:25 AM
YamaChan posted...
the lack of a 3-second rule, illegal zones and illegal off-ball double teams

You are very confused.
---