This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do NBA players only listen to rap?

#1kissykissyPosted 8/13/2014 3:18:53 AM
I saw that video of the Rookie Karaoke and every time it was asked what's on their iPods, the guys named a bunch of rappers and labeled that as "a little bit of everything"

Don't they listen to some sort of music that emphasizes tone?
---
Jus' a lil kissy, right here
#2bond21Posted 8/13/2014 3:20:47 AM
I don't think they know any other genres.

I was talking to an urban youth about Jefferson Airplane and he thought it was an airline.
---
Cavs fan (2003-2010; 2014-present)
#3kissykissy(Topic Creator)Posted 8/13/2014 3:21:57 AM
Plenty of NBA players grew up in middle class homes, so it's not like they're urban youth by any stretch
---
#4Trigger_VolnuttPosted 8/13/2014 3:44:37 AM
The answer is yes. They don't like any other genre.
---
Ray Allen can drop 7 3pointers im not even going to calculate how many points that is ~ CelticsHomerPro
#5Ray_AP_37Posted 8/13/2014 4:03:18 AM
kissykissy posted...
Plenty of NBA players grew up in middle class homes, so it's not like they're urban youth by any stretch

And plenty of NBA players grew up in the inner city.

Rap is also more connected to basketball than any other genre of music.
---
The sheep know Jordan is the GOAT. Bow down. CONFORM OR DIE. http://tinyurl.com/n7strxo
"They don't give runner up medals"- bond21
#6kissykissy(Topic Creator)Posted 8/13/2014 4:08:17 AM
I just think it's odd, that's all. I didn't realize that people who listen to rap really listen to ONLY rap. I guess it's kinda like Country fans.
---
#7Droogie83Posted 8/13/2014 5:26:20 AM
Revolver Magazine nominated Stephen Curry for "Most Metal Athlete" at the Revolver Golden Gods awards, so that might imply he's a metal fan.

Nowitzki listens to David Hasselhoff.
#8kissykissy(Topic Creator)Posted 8/13/2014 5:29:09 AM
Droogie83 posted...
Revolver Magazine nominated Stephen Curry for "Most Metal Athlete" at the Revolver Golden Gods awards, so that might imply he's a metal fan.

I was gonna say that Curry's too cute for metal, but really give him some liberty spikes and a big face piercing and he'd look like the average metal fan
---
#9CubanMarkPosted 8/13/2014 5:31:53 AM
Rap is such a broad genre within itself I can understand why. There are plenty of rappers that focus on tones/ melodies.

Plus growing up a lot of black people are taught that rock/country etc are all "white people music".
---
"Thus proving, once and for all, that Joe Johnson > James Harden."- EzeDoesIt
#10kissykissy(Topic Creator)Posted 8/13/2014 5:36:01 AM
CubanMark posted...
Rap is such a broad genre within itself I can understand why. There are plenty of rappers that focus on tones/ melodies.

Plus growing up a lot of black people are taught that rock/country etc are all "white people music".

But rap at its core is not a genre with a basis on tone. Just as you can add heavy rhythmic emphasis to rock music but it's still gonna be tonally based.

It still bothers me that music is seen as racial. It should be seen as universal and shouldn't be used to divide. Humbug.
---