==Frequently Asked Questions about Game Data==

#1Tigger93Posted 12/13/2005 3:00:11 PMmessage detail
Before this board gets swamped with a bunch of easily answer question, I've decided to wright a short guide on Game Data contributing.

First, What is Game Data?:
Game Data is basically a game. The info page to be more exact. That's really basically it.

Now moving on to the basics.

Contributing Game Data is fairly simple. First thing is, check to see if the game is under the Category List for a console. If not then go to Contributor Central and click Submit Game Data. Then choose a Platform and type in the name of a game. Click "Find Game". If it does not find the game your looking for, go to the bottom of the page and click "Click Here".

You'll now see a simple forum to give information on the Game your going to contribute. Fill in the information and submit it, maybe it will be posted, maybe not...

A short definition on the Forum for contributing Game Data:

Platform:
The system the game is played on.

Title:
The Title or name of the Game.

Category:
The type the game is. Action, General, etc.

Region:
The region the game was released for.

Developer:
The company that developed of the game.

Publisher:
The company that published the game.

Release Date:
The date the game was released on.

Notes:
Notes that you wish to say.

FAQ's:

Q: How long does it take to get my Data Accepted?
A: It usually takes anywhere from a day to a week. Sometimes more. It depends but usually a day or so.

Q: Mine was rejected. Why?
A: Look in your Contribution Status. If there is no reason under the Data you submitted, submit it again and ask why it was rejected.

Q: Mine was rejected. It says a reason.
A: Well, then it was rejected. Look at the reason and try to see if there right. There's not much you can do.

Q: What does EU, NA, and JP stand for?
They are the most common regions that games are released for.

EU: Europe
NA: North America
JP: Japan

Q. How can I submit Game Data?
A. It's under Contributor Central. A direct link is here - http://www.gamefaqs.com/contribute/submit_data.php

Q. What details must I have?
A. Name, Publisher, Developer, Country, Genre and Year. These can be found by looking through the game's manual, or the title screens / credits. Anything else is a bonus.

Q. I submitted new data / release dates for a game that's coming out soon, but it was rejected. Why?
A. The admins have their own sources which are far more reliable, which they can add by themselves. So in general, don't submit data for new titles (apart from Credits).

Q. I'm not sure if the game is commercial or not. How do I know?
A. For computer based systems this can be a problem - such as the PC, Amiga, Atari and so on where there are a lot of homemade titles. If the game has a popular and well known publisher then that's a good tell tale sign that it's commercial. If you are unsure then submit it regardless and let the admins decide.

Q: How do I submit credits?
A: Click contribution at the top then click Submit Credits.

Q: Game no longer in production/cancelled?
A: People have tried to have them removed, but more than likely it will not. It will stay up.

Q: What date format is correct?
A: Usually: 00/00/0000

Q:How do I submit data for released games, without knowing release date?
A: But N/A for the release date.

Other notes on Game Data:
-Game Credits do count as data

That should answer the basic question for now and I'll add more stuff later if I can. I hope this helps.

Thanks to Crazyreyn for some questions
---
[#[__]#] Nintendo DS. Play on.
[+[__]::]
#2snoocetePosted 12/14/2005 7:59:58 AMmessage detail
Q: Does the developer and publisher fields have to be a company, or can it be the name of an individual, such as the case in a lot of open source games?

Q: If it wasn't developed and/or published by a company, can we put in "_No Company" and still get it accepted (like for example, http://www.gamefaqs.com/computer/mainframe/data/582524.html)?

Q: It says in the Submit Game Data page that "[i]n rare cases, non-commercial or personally-distributed games may be listed if they have a very large user base." How can I prove that a non-commercial game has a very large user base?

Q: How come there are a lot of KDE games listed already in the database [http://www.gamefaqs.com/computer/mainframe/list_k.html], while there are barely any GNOME games anywhere? Is it because no one has yet bothered to compile a list of GNOME games?

I ask all this since I want to submit game info about free and open source games.
---
Hentai? I didn't ask for hentai. I asked for anime, you moron.
*clicks and downloads* - Hayato118
#3Tigger93(Topic Creator)Posted 12/14/2005 9:24:08 AMmessage detail
Q: Does the developer and publisher fields have to be a company, or can it be the name of an individual, such as the case in a lot of open source games?
More than likely, the company.

Q: If it wasn't developed and/or published by a company, can we put in "_No Company" and still get it accepted (like for example, http://www.gamefaqs.com/computer/mainframe/data/582524.html)?
Yes

Q: It says in the Submit Game Data page that "[i]n rare cases, non-commercial or personally-distributed games may be listed if they have a very large user base." How can I prove that a non-commercial game has a very large user base?
This could prove tricky. You could try to find a page on the games site (If there is one) about the user base. You could just say it has a large user data base and hope it gets exepted.

Q: How come there are a lot of KDE games listed already in the database [http://www.gamefaqs.com/computer/mainframe/list_k.html], while there are barely any GNOME games anywhere? Is it because no one has yet bothered to compile a list of GNOME games?
Dunno. Maybe there are very few games for the console. Or something else. It's hard to tell.

Hope this helped! ^_^
---
[#[__]#] Nintendo DS. Play on.
[+[__]::]
#4ActJef1077Posted 1/2/2006 8:14:24 PMmessage detail
you probably should mention that mm/dd/yyyy format is preferred to dd/mm/yyyy (which is used more or less everywhere but the US)

---
Call me Jeff! Official midget of The Book Club
If you paint a W on each of your buttcheeks and do cartwheels it will say WoW MoM WoW! -C Bar
#5LinuxRocksPosted 1/21/2006 1:59:29 AMmessage detail
*posts*
---
It is true that liberty is precious; so precious that it must be carefully rationed. - Vladimir Lenin.
#6Snesman64Posted 1/22/2006 11:36:31 PMmessage detail
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#7LtCmdDataPosted 1/23/2006 10:51:45 AMmessage detail
Not sure actually, they do take Web games but I think they only take the ones that are insanely popular.
#8Lu4RPosted 1/23/2006 5:53:01 PMmessage detail
The category isn't WEB, but "Online-Only/Web". It is there, just look for it. But as LtCmdData said, it needs to be a popular (or commercial) game.
---
"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." (Bill Watterson)
#9Snesman64Posted 1/24/2006 2:33:25 AMmessage detail
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#10RandyPandyPosted 2/11/2006 5:24:10 PMmessage detail
I've submitted some Game Data for 10 very old games that weren't listed on 2/5/06, and they got accepted. However, my contributor page has yet to show that I submitted any Game Data.
---
One of the only girls on GameFAQs
ToN link: http://s13.invisionfree.com/Navi_Battling/index.php?act=idx