This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Cheap way to get booster boxes?

#1Findest2001Posted 1/11/2012 2:15:28 PM
I want to start playing, but I am very poor. I've checked Ebay, local stores, and it seems the lowest cost for a booster box is over 100 dollars... Now I don't even care if the box I get is the least popular set, most common, I just want to start collecting affordably. I probably have, I dunno, maybe $50 to work with. I may be able to stretch to 60. Anyways, is there somewhere I can look for discounted card packs/boxes?
---
I have a Dragon Warrior cartridge from... 1990. Still has my original game on it.
That character is old enough to drink, my friends.
#2HNETNarutoPosted 1/11/2012 2:27:41 PM
On eBay you can get boxes for 80 ~ 85 with shipping included sometimes. Some unwanted sets may go as low as 60 if you look hard enough and get lucky. During release time, most booster boxes from new sets costs like 90ish + shipping.

However, buying boxes aren't the cheapest way to collecting I think. Do you want to collect playsets? I'm a collector, so I want at least one set of each card of all possible sets (excluding Unlimited and earlier, Arabian Nights, Legends, Antiquities), I got lucky buying for really cheap from someone who was stopping playing. Be patient and try to look for really amazing offers. They do show up. Have money saved for those occasions.

I would only buy boxes if I had a good disposable amount of extra cash and wanted all my cards to be 100% fresh pack near mint (and also indulge myself opening packs). However, it's not cost effective doing so.
---
PSN: AlecPyron
#3Findest2001(Topic Creator)Posted 1/11/2012 2:40:48 PM
I literally don't know anything about any of the sets. I tried the Duels of the Planeswalkers demo on ps3, and I used to dabble in Star Wars CCG from decipher a while back, and I've always been big on fantasy/magic gaming (i.e. rpgs and such).

I want to start playing with my fiancee with more than just a couple starter decks. I would like some variety, which will help us learn more... I don't mind using the game on ps3 to get started, but obviously the draw of a CCG is the customizability, allowing the player to develop their own strategy based on their card selection.

Anyways, thanks for the response. I'll try and be patient as best I can, but I just got laid off recently so I wanted something to learn/kill time with when I'm not applying for jobs and such.
#4Findest2001(Topic Creator)Posted 1/11/2012 2:55:30 PM
3 Questions:

What about those "theme decks" I see all over. Some of them are for 10 bucks, and it says "60-card deck PLUS a 15-card booster pack? Are those a good start?

Is it okay to mix different subsets?

AND

I would like to get sets, decks, or boxes that have rulebooks so I have a hardcopy of the rules by my side when I play. Where would be the best place to find them? In the starter/theme decks?

Thanks
#5HNETNarutoPosted 1/11/2012 2:58:40 PM
If you wanna start a collection for playing purpose, try get singles, but first you get to know the cards.

Cockatrice or MWS are great for these purposes. You can make decks and playtest (or better play online against others, just get used to the interface) and if you like it, then you may go purchase the cards.

Now if you really want to buy booster boxes, getting the lastest sets is a good start. They go for $100, but looking hard you can save $10 ~ 15 bucks. I don't think there is a specific place to look at. eBay sometimes have good offers (90ish shipping included) from reputable sellers.
---
PSN: AlecPyron
#6Findest2001(Topic Creator)Posted 1/11/2012 3:00:46 PM
Cockatrice or MWS

Are those websites or subsets of Magic?
#7Norse Mage121Posted 1/11/2012 3:01:27 PM
first, figure out what you want. Like, do you like anything really specifically in MTG that made you go "I wanna try those/that"?

then it's easier to figure which of the 50 or so sets you should focus on
---
Norse: It's a Kind of Magic.
This post contains the sub-message [ **** knockin'. Let me in! ].
#8Findest2001(Topic Creator)Posted 1/11/2012 3:20:11 PM
I notice a lot of decks marked "advanced" or "expert". Are there any sets considered "novice" or "beginner"? I figure I should start out with more basic rules and work my way up...

I have some bids on starter decksx5 right now for 15 bucks, I believe in the Planeswalker series?
#9nintendogirl1(Moderator)Posted 1/11/2012 3:21:37 PM
Findest2001 posted...
3 Questions:

What about those "theme decks" I see all over. Some of them are for 10 bucks, and it says "60-card deck PLUS a 15-card booster pack? Are those a good start?

Absolutely, a theme deck, or an event deck gives you a ready built skeleton of a deck that you can customise. They're low in power level, but they are completely ready to play out the box.

The best way for a new player to start a collection in my opinion is to buy a Deck Builders Toolkit. For $20, you get 100 lands to build decks with, 125 semi-random starter cards that can be sed to build decks with sets of cards cards that enable certain archetypes in addition to 4 booster packs.

Is it okay to mix different subsets?

Absolutely. While competitive play has rules on what cards can and can't be used, in a casual setting, every card can be used with any other card ever printed. Whether or not they work well together or your deck can cast them both is a different question altogether though!

I would like to get sets, decks, or boxes that have rulebooks so I have a hardcopy of the rules by my side when I play. Where would be the best place to find them? In the starter/theme decks?

There isn't any way to get a printed copy of the rules, but the pdf isavailable on the official magic site here:

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/TCG/Article.aspx?x=magic/rules

The basic rulebook is more than enough to get started, the comprehensive guide is updated every 3 months when new cards come out, to cover all the minutiae and at present is 192 pages long. It's a good thing 95% of it is irrelevant to actually playing most games.
---
Dynamic sig good.
SuperNiceDog better.
#10Norse Mage121Posted 1/11/2012 3:24:01 PM(edited)
The Core sets are meant for entry-level players. They're called "Magic 2010" through "Magic 2012", along with older ones like 8th and 9th Edition

There are also a number of starter sets/decks that come with big foldout pamphlets that tell you how to play
---
Norse: It's a Kind of Magic.
This post contains the sub-message [ **** knockin'. Let me in! ].