This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

is a hexproof creature still immune to spells and abilitys when in the graveyard

#1lolaqaPosted 12/3/2011 1:04:20 AM
80/80

Let's say i kill a Geist of Saint Traft, can i use a Surgical Extraction on it while it's in the graveyard?

thanks

oh and while i'm here, if i use a Evil Twin/Phantasmal Image. can i make it come in as a copy of the Geist? if so then can i use a Sever the Bloodline on my copy to get rid of both of them?

double thanks
---
---
Thanks, Michael.
#2LostShadyPosted 12/3/2011 1:14:17 AM
Hexproof/Shroud only apply while the permanent is on the battlefield.

As for your second question, if you make something become a copy of a legendary creature that's already on the field, they'll both be put into their owners' graveyards because of the legends rule. You won't get a chance to cast Sever the Bloodline before that happens.
---
http://paulrobertson.mechafetus.com/stephen_coop.gif http://paulrobertson.mechafetus.com/kim_coop.gif http://paulrobertson.mechafetus.com/scott_guitar.gif
#3GanondwarfPosted 12/3/2011 3:18:40 AM
Why would you want to copy a creature, then kill both of them?
And yeah, if you're not aware of the legend rule, it can be confusing. Legendary creatures are certain creatures that are important to the Magic plotline, and therefore are unique. For instance, there can be thousands of Llanowar Elves, but only one Ajani (since they're named, they imply uniqueness). Basically, anything with a name or comma in their card name is legendary, with some exceptions.
There are also legendary lands, enchantments and artifacts, by the way. Just FYI. There are no legendary soceries or instants, since most of them are not active for more than just one turn (epics are an exception, but they're rare).
---
As you gain perspective you'll realize that missed opportunities are a lot more difficult to live with than failed chances taken. - myeerah
#4Ragnarok SonataPosted 12/3/2011 4:16:37 AM
ganondwarf your post is so laborious and misleading

"if it has a comma in its name then its a legend"? really? did you really think that your post was going to help anyone?

in any case, to answer the thread's questions:
1. Yes you can target a copy of Geist in a graveyard. Look up the rules for hexproof/shroud.
2. No/Yes, the Geist is legendary (so both it and the Phantasmal Image would be put into the graveyard). If it were say, an Invisible Stalker instead, then you could do what you suggest (the Phantasmal Image copies quite a lot from the Stalker, including name).
---
"...The Computer Virus That Mimics FOXDIE..."
#5GanondwarfPosted 12/3/2011 4:46:10 AM(edited)
Meh, I'll admit it's a bit weird, but I just wanted to show how to recognise a legendary (apart from the "legendary" type). The comma is indeed a stupid example, but technically not false. >.>
And how is my post misleading? As far as I know, all of it is correct (except for the comma in "Ach! Hans, Run!").
---
As you gain perspective you'll realize that missed opportunities are a lot more difficult to live with than failed chances taken. - myeerah
#6CaptainCrispPosted 12/3/2011 7:42:06 AM
Ragnarok Sonata posted...
If it were say, an Invisible Stalker instead, then you could do what you suggest (the Phantasmal Image copies quite a lot from the Stalker, including name).

Actually. He would have to use any clone spell other than Phantasmal image because as soon as he targets the image with sever the blood line it dies and the spell is countered because it has no target anymore.

But yeah. you can clone a hexproof creature and then sever your own and it will remove all creatures with that name from the game. Even the ones you can't target.
---
Sup
#7themastahPosted 12/3/2011 8:23:37 AM
But Ajani isn't even a legendary card. They are not subject to the Legend rule, they are subject to the Planeswalker rule.

No offense, but that post was terrible.
---
A wild blog has appeared!
http://thedeepindigo.wordpress.com - A new blog about M:TG and other games: this one has updates!
#8Ragnarok SonataPosted 12/3/2011 8:45:05 AM
CaptainCrisp posted...

Actually. He would have to use any clone spell other than Phantasmal image because as soon as he targets the image with sever the blood line it dies and the spell is countered because it has no target anymore.

But yeah. you can clone a hexproof creature and then sever your own and it will remove all creatures with that name from the game. Even the ones you can't target.

heh yeah you're right, i was thinking in terms of general clone effects rather than Image specifically.
---
"...The Computer Virus That Mimics FOXDIE..."
#9GanondwarfPosted 12/3/2011 9:17:32 AM
Ah damn, Ajani was the first name that popped into my head. You're right. Aboshan, then.
---
#10viperesquePosted 12/3/2011 11:25:04 AM
Ganondwarf: http://magiccards.info/query?q=%2C+-t%3Alegendary&v=card&s=cname
---
FACT: Four out of five people are crushed to death by giant diamonds every day.