This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Thoughts on my standard black/red/blue zombie deck?

#1Smacky_da_FrogPosted 2/26/2012 11:41:16 PM
Been out of the Magic swing for a few years until my friend brought me back into it with the Dark Ascension prerelease. This deck started out as just a black/blue zombie deck said friend and I put together, but I've since tinkered with it to where it is now, and there's more tinkering to be done. Anyway, on to the build:

Creatures
Grimgrin, Corpse-Born
Gravecrawler (4)
Diregraf Captain (4)
Geralf's Messenger (2)
Diregraf Ghoul (4)
Chandra's Phoenix

Spells / Enchantments / Artifacts
Tragic Slip (2)
Bump in the Night (4)
Brimstone Volley (4)
Desperate Ravings (3)
Geistflame (4)
Devil's Play
Negate (2)
Mask of Avacyn

Land
Swamp (10)
Mountain (7)
Island (4)
Stensia Bloodhall (2)

Dual-lands are definitely on my radar, but I currently don't have them, so this is how it looks right now.
---
My friend asked me if I wanted a frozen banana, I said "No, but I want a regular banana later, so ... yeah".
#2BluharvestPosted 2/27/2012 4:44:52 AM
Have you tested it?

I'd drop either the red or the blue. Neither seem essential and dropping one would let you splash out more in another.
---
http://gamefaqs.com/916401/b/- |Come on down for drinks and good company|
||| http://lostfacts.net/ |||
#3Smacky_da_Frog(Topic Creator)Posted 2/27/2012 6:00:03 AM

Have you tested it?

I'd drop either the red or the blue. Neither seem essential and dropping one would let you splash out more in another.

Not against anything more than friends, although I'm looking forward to trying it out this Friday. It's played well so far. The red is there for direct damage and poking off chump defenders and the like, and the blue is splashed in for the captains and negates, to prevent potential board wipes.
---
My friend asked me if I wanted a frozen banana, I said "No, but I want a regular banana later, so ... yeah".
#4BluharvestPosted 2/27/2012 6:11:19 AM
Ah, well, if it's working consistently then disregard what I said, I'm just wary of 3 colour+ decks.
Drop Mask of Avacyn, squeeze in another Grimgrin?
---
http://gamefaqs.com/916401/b/- |Come on down for drinks and good company|
||| http://lostfacts.net/ |||
#5DrDucTapePosted 2/27/2012 10:19:26 AM
I'd cut Stensia Bloodhall for Drowned Catacombs or Dragon Skull Summit tbqh.

also, I've seen both U/B and B/R zombie builds that were rather effective.

I'd cut the phoenixs for Fume Spitters and up the number of Messengers to 4.
and Mortarpod works great with the Messenger's undying and ETB effects. Not to mention the easily recuring Gravecrawlers.
---
"I am the Black Mage! I casts the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"
Still with Ku-Fu grip!
#6Smacky_da_Frog(Topic Creator)Posted 2/27/2012 4:35:36 PM

I'd cut Stensia Bloodhall for Drowned Catacombs or Dragon Skull Summit tbqh.

It's definitely on my to-do list to get those in.

I'd cut the phoenixs for Fume Spitters and up the number of Messengers to 4.

Dunno about the Fume Spitters, I've already got more than enough 1-drops, and the Phoenix(s) both work with the playing from the graveyard theme, and give me some air coverage. The Messengers are also on my to-do list, though.

and Mortarpod works great with the Messenger's undying and ETB effects

I've heard that a few times, and I'm definitely considering it. Thanks for the input!
---
I used to do drugs. I still do, but I used to, too.
#7DrDucTapePosted 2/28/2012 8:21:43 AM(edited)
Dunno about the Fume Spitters, I've already got more than enough 1-drops, and the Phoenix(s) both work with the playing from the graveyard theme, and give me some air coverage. The Messengers are also on my to-do list, though.

I can see that, but the Fume spitters are rather versatile, either reseting your undying creatures' +1/+1 counter, so they can be sac'd and come back yet again, or they can take out an oppsiong 1-toughness threat.
---
"I am the Black Mage! I casts the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"
Still with Ku-Fu grip!
#8Smacky_da_Frog(Topic Creator)Posted 2/29/2012 8:04:09 AM

I can see that, but the Fume spitters are rather versatile, either reseting your undying creatures' +1/+1 counter, so they can be sac'd and come back yet again, or they can take out an oppsiong 1-toughness threat.

So a -1/-1 counter negates a +1/+1 counter? They don't just both sit on the card? Interesting.
---
It's not like if you cut off my arm you would call my arm "Mitch", but then reattach it and call it "Mitch-all-together."
#9Hat And WatchPosted 2/29/2012 9:32:19 AM
Drop Chandra's Phoenix, add Falkenrath Aristocrat. Great combos with Messengers and triggering morbid, just like Grimgrin, as well as saccing Gravecrawlers to set off Captains. Get dual lands like nobody's business, focusing on the black ones with blue or red, but no Sulfur Falls.

I also support Fume Spitters.

Also Manic Vandals as your sideboard artifact hate. They sac to Grimgrin and the Aristocrat.
---
Simply, HAWsome
#10Corrupt_PowerPosted 2/29/2012 8:50:52 PM

Drop Chandra's Phoenix, add Falkenrath Aristocrat. Great combos with Messengers and triggering morbid, just like Grimgrin, as well as saccing Gravecrawlers to set off Captains. Get dual lands like nobody's business, focusing on the black ones with blue or red, but no Sulfur Falls.

I also support Fume Spitters.

Also Manic Vandals as your sideboard artifact hate. They sac to Grimgrin and the Aristocrat.

Interesting. I'll consider the Aristocrat - I think a friend has one or four... and Manic Vandals will most likely be going in the sideboard. Are there any straight instants or sorceries for artifact destruction?
---
Maliwan, your #1 provider of elemental genitalia! - Tactical_Spork