This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why is Gaea's Cradle so expensive?

#31Lord SethPosted 4/1/2013 2:15:16 PM
ellis123 posted...
Lord Seth posted...
*Unless I miss my guess, the most expensive non-reserved cards are Imperial Seal and Imperial Recruiter.

Foil Jace is higher than Imperial Recruiter. The promo Mutavault is also way higher.
I should have been more specific. When I talk price, I mean getting a copy of a card. For example, an Alpha Birds of Paradise is like $250, but if you just want a Birds of Paradise and don't care what set it's from, you can get them for less than $5. So foils and promos don't count (unless they're less expensive than the main versions of the cards). That option wasn't available for Imperial Recruiter because there was only that one version of it.

Imperial Seal + Recruiter are only expensive due to set, not because they're actually that good, so comparing them to promotional cards/foils is perfectly fine.
It's not perfectly fine in the context in which I was discussing. The point, which I suppose I could have elaborated on better, was that if Wizards of the Coast was uninterested in reprinting a card due to it having a very high secondary market value (and them not wanting to crash it), that would not apply to Mana Drain because they reprinted a far more expensive card, Imperial Recruiter. Hence my comment that if they made an Imperial Recruiter promo, there's no card (other than Imperial Seal) they wouldn't reprint--at least as a promo--due to its secondary market price.
---
One word in this signature is false.
#32CalintaresPosted 4/1/2013 3:03:35 PM
Mana Drain is a staple in any blue EDH deck if you actually own one. Same with Imperial Seal.
---
Ours is not to reason why, ours is but to do and die.
#33CountPopeulaPosted 4/2/2013 6:30:01 AM
Seth, I've read a couple articles talking about reprints by Wizards employees offhandedly mentioning they had no intention of reprinting Mana Drain due to power level, not price.

I don't know that they're that concerned with protecting the value of P3K cards at the expense of having healthy Legacy and Vintage formats.

Modern Masters shows the kind of fine line they're walking, because they don't especially want cards to be as expensive as they are, and Modern was almost entirely invented to have a non-rotating format with no cards on the reserve list, but they're still afraid of alienating people who paid the kind of prices they don't want cards to go for by reprinting them.
---
I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. - Voltaire
#34Lord SethPosted 4/2/2013 2:58:50 PM
CountPopeula posted...
Seth, I've read a couple articles talking about reprints by Wizards employees offhandedly mentioning they had no intention of reprinting Mana Drain due to power level, not price.
That's most likely referring to a Standard reprint. Because that rationale makes sense for not reprinting it in Standard. It makes no sense for not reprinting it at all, anywhere. Making something a judge promo or putting it into a From The Vaults doesn't make it legal in any new formats, so power doesn't seem to make sense as a reason to not reprint it. Remember, Mana Crypt got a reprint.

I don't know that they're that concerned with protecting the value of P3K cards at the expense of having healthy Legacy and Vintage formats.
Which was my point with the reprinting of Imperial Recruiter.
---
One word in this signature is false.