This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

SATA II vs SATA III for SSD

#1Pako PakoPosted 11/29/2013 12:24:27 AM
My laptop has a SATA II port, so should I still pay attention to all the IOPS and random-write stats that modern SATA III SSDs have? I've been looking mainly at lower power use, failure rates, and warranty lengths. Most of the drives I come up with are "low end" SSDs from 2011 using old Sandforce controllers. Is there a benefit to using the slightly more expensive modern drives like the Samsung 840 EVO, Seagate 600, or the like?
---
-=PakoPako=- (Proud member of board 917023!)
"This was brought to you by FRUNGY, the Sport of Kings!"
#2raichudlPosted 12/1/2013 5:21:05 PM
Any SATA device can work.
---
Shut up and bag yourselves!!! -Cody Rhodes
#3Pako Pako(Topic Creator)Posted 12/2/2013 1:33:01 PM
Hm. I wasn't clear enough then.

How do I deal with stats for a SATA III drive when I have a SATA II slot? Do I just cut everything by 33% (6 GBps vs 3 GBps), 50%, or ignore the stats because it doesn't work like that?
---
#4Lonestar2000Posted 12/8/2013 3:46:36 PM
It is better to pay more for a reliable drive. Intel is the most reliable. Crucial, Samsung, Seagate and Plextor are also good.
---
Rumble Roses. Someone enters the room.
Them: O_O Me: What?! I always play games without my pants on!- Inmate 922335
#5Pako Pako(Topic Creator)Posted 12/11/2013 11:43:00 PM
Lonestar2000 posted...
It is better to pay more for a reliable drive. Intel is the most reliable. Crucial, Samsung, Seagate and Plextor are also good.

I suppose. But since this is going to be for a laptop, I would prefer the most power-efficient one so it won't drain the battery so much.

I'll probably lean toward Intel; their previous models have all had the lowest power-use (half that of Samsung's), offer a long warranty, and are usually about as affordable. (I also wasn't aware Plextor made SSDs, and they even support AES-256 encryption.)

I'm still a bit worried about older drives (since I'll be looking at pre-2013 models for affordability) -- I have read a lot of issues with the 2011-2012 Sandforce-controlled SSDs (Corsair had a massive recall) which really makes me paranoid, especially since I now hold a "dead" SSD. (I can write to it, but as soon as the system powers off, the drive wipes itself.)
---