This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The MSP to Currency conversion is a mess.

#1CarpetfluffPosted 8/28/2013 11:32:18 AM
You know the worst thing about the conversion is that you can't combine your converted cash amount with another payment option. I assumed that when I went to pay with my credit card that the balance I had left on my Microsoft account would be taken into account...but no. They're still separate things. Microsoft support even referred to it as fake currency during my chat with them. It's basically placeholder.

So I have this piddly 1.36 on my MS account that I can't actually spend and Microsoft told me the only way I can make it any bigger, so it would cover a purchase is to go find an MSP card and add it to the balance. So I can't spend my balance, without messing around with cards that the whole thing was designed to phase out. Good plan.
#2Wolf-Ram-HartPosted 8/29/2013 9:24:40 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#3Wolf-Ram-HartPosted 8/29/2013 9:27:54 PM
http://support.xbox.com/en-US/billing-and-subscriptions/account-management/microsoft-points-retire-faq

Asker: Can I split payment between my local currency and a credit card?

Microsft: "Yes, when your local currency balance is not sufficient to pay for the content, you can charge the remainder to your credit card".

Their plan was to screw us.
#4Red OrcPosted 9/1/2013 4:48:53 PM
I'm betting there is an Indie game out there you could enjoy for what little remains on your account.
#5JACKBUTTMOMMYPosted 9/1/2013 9:06:17 PM
5,000 points on rewards is $5. Seems worse to me but there are more options. Thing is... why have points on that if you phased out MS points for being "too confusing". Which, IMO, they weren't. 400=$5? Got it. SO let's switch at the very end? Why not just switch on the new console and keep things the same here? And then they use points on rewards... when they got rid of MS points... wtf. The deals aren't even really worth it, and things would have been much more clear if a survey earned you $.50, a card earned you $5, refferals got you $X, etc. But nOoOoOoOooOoOoOoOoOoOo!
---
Please help support my community festival! It's for a good cause and tax-deductible!
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/reservoir-hill-music-festival/x/4474909
#6Carpetfluff(Topic Creator)Posted 9/2/2013 6:14:05 AM
I've got no issue with the phasing out; I'd rather have cash amounts but I can't believe that they couldn't allow you to spend your leftover cash amount in combination with your credit card rather than ending up with two separate balances. That also means anyone redeeming MSP cards won't be able to top that amount up with their credit card...it's two completely different pools of payment.
#7Carpetfluff(Topic Creator)Posted 9/2/2013 6:24:14 AM(edited)
Red Orc posted...
I'm betting there is an Indie game out there you could enjoy for what little remains on your account.

Yes, you're probably right about that but although the Microsoft account shows the balance, if I try to use it on Xbox.com there's no option to spend from there. Change payment options just gives me the screen to add another credit card. There's nowhere to select using the cash value left on my account.

EDIT - apparently you can only do it from the console, not the website...
#8ledrewxlamourPosted 9/2/2013 7:01:40 AM
When making a purchase of a game from in console it will not allow you to choose converted points if you dont have enough money. However, when choosing the alternate payment method (Credit Card) it will ask you if you want to use the existing credit first.