This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How to Write a Good Top 10 List

#31gamemaster712Posted 5/8/2012 9:45:25 AMmessage detail
Too narrow for a primarily US audience.

that doesn't really help me much, what does it mean? too narrow?
---
Lord of gaming!!! (probably)
#32gamemaster712Posted 5/8/2012 9:46:26 AMmessage detail
never mind, figured it out, guess it would be a good time to do a top 10 ace attorney villains version 2.0 list...
---
#33OtherSuperPhilPosted 5/23/2012 9:52:24 AMmessage detail
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#34gamemaster712Posted 6/7/2012 7:19:15 AMmessage detail
I don't know who approved my list, but i thank you for that. Despite obvious scrutiny, I appreciate this, even if my writing is based on personal opinion and let's face it: not that good. Alas, i thank you and hopefully my next list will turn out better.

*does Edgeworth bow*

P.S. this is the only place i can think of for a moderator to see this for sure.
---
#35gamemaster712Posted 6/7/2012 7:22:10 AMmessage detail
DetroitDJ posted...
After the List is Submitted

28. Be prepared for criticism. Lists are famously a lightning rod for criticism on this site, largely for the reasons I alluded to in the notes on Choosing the Items: everyone has a different gaming history, and thus they all have different ideas for what should be included in your list. Generally speaking, if you have a list posted, at least one person will say it's the worst list ever posted on the site. They're wrong. The worst list on the site is this one: http://www.gamefaqs.com/features/top10/1813.html

Don't let the criticism bother you. Give any criticism the weight that comes with how well thought-out it is. Any idiot can write off, "Worst list ever!" or "Fails for not having (some game) on it." Those aren't intelligent criticisms, and given the work you've put into your list, your opinion carries far, far more weight than theirs. But when constructive criticism comes, appreciate it. You don't necessarily have to agree with it, and you can feel free to defend your list; but be constructive about it in return. Ignore non-constructive criticism, and treat constructive criticism constructively yourself. And don't worry: when it comes to people bashing your list, we've got your back. This board has a wonderful culture of protecting authors and shunning those that just want to shoot their mouth off about their ideas without taking two seconds to defend them.

Credit: This FAQ was contains tips from numerous Top 10 List writers. Thanks especially go to Sanctuary Remix's "Making Top Tens for Dummies" thread, which has been distilled out for this topic. Thanks also go to BlueGunstarHero, MotherKojiro, Nazifpour, Stalolin, FRIEDSTRUCK, GamerJM, and shadow_571.

should've read this first, that was beautiful! *sniffle*
---
#36DetroitDJ(Topic Creator)(Moderator)Posted 6/7/2012 9:26:57 AMmessage detail
gamemaster712 posted...
I don't know who approved my list, but i thank you for that. Despite obvious scrutiny, I appreciate this, even if my writing is based on personal opinion and let's face it: not that good. Alas, i thank you and hopefully my next list will turn out better.

*does Edgeworth bow*

P.S. this is the only place i can think of for a moderator to see this for sure.

SBAllen approves all contributions. Moderators only are responsible for the boards themselves, nothing else.
---
Follow on Twitter: www.twitter.com/ddjgames
For Top 10 lists, reviews, and assorted ramblings about being a mod.
#37gamemaster712Posted 6/9/2012 8:55:43 AMmessage detail
DetroitDJ posted...

SBAllen approves all contributions. Moderators only are responsible for the boards themselves, nothing else.

thank you SBAllen!!! much appreciated.
---
#38AbsoluteStevePosted 8/27/2012 12:11:26 PMmessage detail
The worst list on the site is this one: http://www.gamefaqs.com/features/top10/1813.html

Hmm.. That one *was* pretty bad. :P
---
www.facebook.com/absolutesteve
#39spooky96Posted 11/13/2012 9:12:13 PMmessage detail
I'm still confused as to what it means by the list should at the be worst neutral. Anyone?
---
Do you like spoons?
#40DetroitDJ(Topic Creator)(Moderator)Posted 11/29/2012 8:32:09 PMmessage detail
spooky96 posted...
I'm still confused as to what it means by the list should at the be worst neutral. Anyone?

Basically, it shouldn't be outright negative -- nothing like "Top 10 Most Overrated Games" or "Top 10 Worst Game Companies".
---
www.DDJGames.com - Game reviews, articles, guides, lists, and more.
Latest: Top 10 Games Developed By Grasshopper