This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

#2676: The Top 10 Overlooked Games With Female Leads by Sohogojo

#11gfrequencyPosted 4/2/2014 7:36:38 PM
Yamato_san posted...
Mirror's Edge? Are you friggin' kidding me? That's one of the only games with a female protagonist that that dips*** Anita Sarkeesian bothers to acknowledge exists. Definitely not overlooked.

Sohogojo posted...
Along with Kartia and La Pucelle there are also games like Rhapsody

Not just La Pucelle and Rhapsody.... close to the entire friggin' NIS catalog is full of female protagonists. The only exception I can actually think of are Makai Kingdom and their flagship Disgaea series, and even there, I'd argue that the females are co-starring with the male lead.

On another note, I probably would've recognized Odin Sphere, if not VanillaWare in general (so including games like GrimGrimmoire and Princess Crown). It probably isn't all that overlooked, but given all the BS George Kamitani got over Dragon's Crown amongst all this political correctness tripe the gaming community's been experiencing lately, I'd say it at least warrants a mention (incidentally, Dragon's Crown's so-called controversial females, if those idiots actually bothered to notice, are nonetheless playable protagonists themselves).

And don't expect anyone to acknowledge that a number of the artists involved with Dragon's Crown were women. Or that Bayonetta was designed by a woman. Research is so yesterday. Sensationalism is now!

I seem to remember Oni getting a decent amount of press when it was in development, since Bungie was pretty well-thought-of back then. Found the game itself kind of a disappointment, though. The trailer they released a while before it came out had all this stuff that I supposed ended up being cut from the final product.
---
You might very well think that. I couldn't possibly comment.
#12Jammer196Posted 4/2/2014 8:28:08 PM
Sohogojo posted...
wanted to say I'm appreciating the feedback. I think it is great that so many people love games and the preferences expressed here are as valid as anything on my list. I felt I couldn't justify Beyond Good and Evil on my list based on the criteria I limited myself to, it is pretty well a critical darling and was so adored in fact as to warrant an HD re-release. With Nightshade, like I said you might as well consider it interchangeable with VP2 Silmeria. But all of you have made suggestions or pointed out things that help the overall goal I had in making the list and that was answering so many of those questions I see online about "where are all the good games starring females?" I just chose to answer that in a narrow, mostly niche scope.
Along with Kartia and La Pucelle there are also games like Rhapsody or even Tenchu Fatal Shadows, Bayonetta, Metroid, Parasite Eve, Dino Crisis, Tomb Raider, Wet, Lollipop Chainsaw, Super Princess Peach, Order of Ecclesia, Okami, Jeanne D'arc, Odin Sphere, Danger Girl, No One Lives Forever 2 and Perfect Dark and many many more all with their own reasons for playing, varying degrees of popularity, and degrees of sexploitation which I considered and tried to meet my own criteria on as well as whether or not they were a singular heroine, a heroine as one of many choices, or as part of a party. I simply felt it best to stick to titles which had just a heroine or heroines. (Excepting Koudelka).

Sorry I came to this board to complain about the lack of this Beyond Good &Evil.
---
Playing Spelunky, Bulletstorm, and Minecraft (PS3 Edition)
PSN - Jammer196 Eagerly Waiting for The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth on PSN
#13tanktarpPosted 4/2/2014 9:00:45 PM
Pirates: Legend of Black Kat
#14slingerff8Posted 4/2/2014 11:52:08 PM
Hmmm....would Wild Arms XF with Clarissa Arwin qualify?

I mean that this would mean to put on my WA hat on, but arguably it was the best stories of the series in my mind and not many people would think of this game in particular since it was the only game not on a console (PSP). The WA series does have a number of strong female characters, but not many in the leading role (WA3 being the other), so I was kind of hoping there would be some more love with this series.
#15pfh1001Posted 4/3/2014 12:27:32 AM
Chris from Suikoden 3.
#16LeetCheetPosted 4/3/2014 4:21:20 AM
Kinda surprised that Beyond Good & Evil didn't make the list.
---
http://i.imgur.com/eQrRxik.jpg
Blame it on the Disco.
#17wheresatariPosted 4/3/2014 6:49:36 AM(edited)
Valkyrie Profile 2 Silmeria mention! I am happy.

Seriously, I liked the list. Nice job.

Edit: Oh, I forgot we're all supposed to express our feelings toward one of out favorites that missed out on the listXD Mine is KOS-MOS...though she is a bit more well known than others. There's even a small group that wants her in Smash Bros.
---
I am the Way and the Truth and the Life; no man comes to the Father except by Me.
-The Lord Jesus Christ. John 14 verse 6.
#18yoichiwadaPosted 4/3/2014 7:19:08 AM
Nightshade is not dumped down version of Shinobi. It is faster and harder than Shinobi. I have played both video games and I have enjoyed Nightshade more, not to mention unlocked all features, images, costumes and playable optional characters.

For the list, thanks Sohogojo, I always wonder and fell sad some of these video games, because they are good, actually. I have played Cool Girl/Cy Girls. I have finished Ice's disc and I am on halfway of Aska's disc. People might don't like this video game, because it is interjecting search, puzzle and read game play features. You should dive into cyber-realm to solve puzzles, to hack, to download and to fight. Real world puzzles are very hard. It is not only shooter video game.

Like a poster said. Mirror's Edge is not overlooked and I am glad you didn't add Valkyrie Profile:Silmeria, because it is not overlooked, it is a JRPG and it has very reputation between JRPG fans, like me.

Koudelka is from Shadow Hearts makers. Too bad that they are no more. The video game has a gothic ambiance.

I will suggest anyone who likes "not good" or overlooked video games that has female lead :)

Trapt- PS2: Defeat enemies by setting sadistic traps in a huge mansion. Deception 4 is last video game of the series.

DreamFall- PC/XBox: A good story in Oriental inspired realms.

Project Minerva- PS2: I will leave that if this video game is crappy or good or bad, but I played and finished. You are a soldier, wearing sexy costumes, varies from army clothes to sexy underwear and you destroy enemy machines, You have different team mates who you can give orders.

Crimson Sea 2- PS2: It has both female and male main characters. It is science-fiction video game and going through different planet layouts to defeat aliens and bugs. I suggest this video game anyone who likes Aliens' creepy ambience and Mass Effect 2's planet searching missions. I really like this video game.

Ghost In The Shell:S.A.C: This video game belongs to the Major, Motoko Kusunagi. Its story is intriguing, like always. You do re-playable missions and you are always on edge in this video game, like in Nightshade and Mirror's Edge. Do not fall. The other playable character is Batou.

Drakan: The Ancients' Gates: Well, You like Elder Scrolls, Younger Rolls, Planescape: Torment, Wizardry 8, Lichdom BattleMage, Baldur's Gate, Demon's Souls? Then you have another hidden video game. This video game is cult.
---
You're kidding right? KOS-MOS alone is a DBZ style planet crusher and with Mary she could devour a solar system or two for breakfast. ~Grimsleeper1986
#19SohogojoPosted 4/3/2014 8:14:55 AM(edited)
Thanks wheresatari, Xenosaga is epic.
Thanks yoichiwada, I really like the games you listed too (loved the Drakan level made of human skin), though I didn't get the chance to play Trapt and played Minerva on the SNES I believe. Sometimes I wonder if I shouldn't have put in Summoner 2 (PS2) or Lost Kingdom (GC) (or Septerra Core but I decided not to list PC games). I hope some other users will do their own lists because i just love to play games.
---
"The greater the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play." - Captain James Tiberius Kirk
#20SinisterSlayPosted 4/3/2014 8:14:34 AM
Sohogojo posted...
Thanks yoichiwada, I really like the games you listed too (loved the Drakan level made of human skin), though I didn't get the chance to play Trapt and played Minerva on the SNES I believe. Sometimes I wonder if I shouldn't have put in Summoner 2 (PS2) or Lost Kingdom (GC) (or Septerra Core but I decided not to list PC games). I hope some other users will do their own lists because i just love to play games.

Although I disagree with excluding PC games. Maya in SC could have been swapped with a male character and it wouldn't have made any difference. She was barely even the lead.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence