This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

*^*"The Shinies" Two Thousand and Thirteen edition! V.156*^*

#361colormecrazyPosted 7/11/2013 1:10:55 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#362FvPPosted 7/12/2013 1:37:38 PM
DE how's your character battle bracket going?
---
FvP | falco_vs_peach | *^*"The Shinies" Member*^* | Adventure Time Member
PBWSB | PDPSB | /pdpsb/ | PBWSB User Tournament Winner: DiabIo
#363ITSkevlesHOEPosted 7/12/2013 7:30:03 PM
Hey guys.

I always end up back on GameFAQs when I'm having an existential crisis. Don't feel compelled to read this, I'm just venting and I probably won't read your replies if you happen to respond.

I'm not much of a gamer anymore. I feel like I'm growing out of it; work, social life, etc. has all but completely replaced the hours upon hours I used to spend gaming. In fact, I've realized that GTA V is the last upcoming game release that I'm even remotely interested in. This is shocking, personally, because video games and GameFAQs made me who I am today.

Sometimes I feel like I don't know who I am anymore. But it's nice to be able to come back here and see some familiar names, when people enter and leave my life on a monthly basis out in "the real world". It seems as though the Pokemon Social Boards are the last inkling of stability in my life.

Anywho, I was a (junior, almost senior) CS major at UT Austin this past Spring but my work ethic (and consequently, my grades) tanked as I grew tired of the daily grind. I bought Final Fantasy 13 (for 360...) at the end of the semester in an attempt to escape the reality of the fact that I was failing two of my classes and had D's in the other two.

What a terrible decision. Final Fantasy 13 was an awful game.

So now I'm on academic probation, I have to switch majors to Economics, and I wasted money on a ****ty video game. I won't even get into my "love life", which is a total joke. Oh well, at least I still have a decent job (entry-level DBA)... for now.

I hope you guys are doing better than I am.

Peace,
kevles
---
Co-Founder & CEO, Ziploc Corp.
#364colormecrazyPosted 7/12/2013 9:23:17 PM
Screw off Kevles.
---
blaze | SOMEWHERE IN AMERICA, MILEY CYRUS STILL TWERKING. TWERK MILEY MILEY TWERK. ONLY IN AMERICA.
#365legaultalPosted 7/12/2013 11:14:14 PM
If it makes you feel any better, you won't be nearly as poor as me.

Being a history major is suffering.
---
True Neutral:
I don't just go both ways, I go all eight ways.
#366Ramar(Topic Creator)Posted 7/13/2013 12:48:59 AM
Hey kelves.
---
Good old Arsenal. We're proud to say that name.
While we sing this song. We'll win the game.
#367zxcvb55Posted 7/13/2013 7:24:25 AM
Kevles, I was like you, except I many of my friends at college also played video games (and video games turned drinking games), so I while I hadn't given up on gaming, my time with online gaming, Steam and GameFAQs in particular, was basically nonexistent.

However, once I graduated I moved back home and all of my old friends, while still cool dudes, hang out with a bunch of buttholes. So my online gaming/life is back. Woohoo.

Also, I was an Econ/Math double major. Econ is easy. Like, unbelievably easy. Especially if you're good at math. I even started out college thinking I'd major in CS, so we're not so different there.
---
<mythbusters>Am I missing an eyebrow?</mythbusters>
[New content coming]
#368ITSkevlesHOEPosted 7/13/2013 5:03:51 PM
Sup Ramar, sup Leggy. You'll probably be seeing me around these parts more often.

zxcvb55 posted...
Kevles, I was like you, except I many of my friends at college also played video games (and video games turned drinking games), so I while I hadn't given up on gaming, my time with online gaming, Steam and GameFAQs in particular, was basically nonexistent.

However, once I graduated I moved back home and all of my old friends, while still cool dudes, hang out with a bunch of buttholes. So my online gaming/life is back. Woohoo.

Also, I was an Econ/Math double major. Econ is easy. Like, unbelievably easy. Especially if you're good at math. I even started out college thinking I'd major in CS, so we're not so different there.

Lol, that's why I picked it. After being dropped from CS I was like, "what's the easiest major that'll still leave me with decent career prospects?", and since the business school's particularly competitive, I settled on Econ. Math is definitely cool but not interesting enough (to me) to pursue a second major. I enjoy applying math though, so stuff like Econ and Physics are totally up my alley.

CS was intuitive to me but I just couldn't see myself programming for a living. And I feel as though I learned everything I wanted to know about it (the traits of good programming, discrete math, etc.) during freshman and sophomore year. Artificial neural networks? Automata theory? Yeah... I'll pass.

colormecrazy posted...
Screw off Kevles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7I_qUhnoN-w

Son... you really wanna pop?

(Fun fact: that's Provenance's youtube channel)
---
Co-Founder & CEO, Ziploc Corp.
#369vaati000Posted 7/14/2013 7:00:10 AM
I know this isn't the most important thing, but don't feel forced to enjoy video games. It's kind of depressing when stuff just doesn't carry the same appeal after it did for so long, but move it in different directions; pick up a different genre (I never thought Skullgirls would appeal to me past the TnA before), find some other way to follow the scene (I find writing about visual novels more interesting than reading them sometimes, and esports is pretty cool), and most importantly try and keep it social. The reason I play League isn't primarily because it's fun; solo queue sucks. It's because I have a lot of friends who play it and stuff just comes up when I'm playing with friends, and I meet other people who play it a lot.

Video games aren't any less fun, you've just grown up; you're smarter and your tastes are different. Move on from the AAA industry- look into some indie games that are trying something a little more atypical or cerebral.

And I don't know what your CS department is like, but if you like applying math, why didn't you stick with it? CS is more algorithms than programming, from what my roommate makes it sound like. You'd probably be sticking with pretty mathy stuff. If you weren't interested in it, then yeah, definitely drop it, but I wouldn't because it doesn't directly apply your skills at first glance.

I dropped CS for IT and I'm happier than ever, though, so I don't know.
---
BEEP BOOP MEOW
BEEP BOOP MEOW
#370legaultalPosted 7/14/2013 6:26:08 PM
In other news , I just got back from seeing American Live-Action Evangelion, I mean Pacific Rim.

Was pretty good, definitely worth seeing, and one of the few movies I would even recommend seeing in IMAX 3D, has great effects.
---
True Neutral:
I don't just go both ways, I go all eight ways.